Scratching the acoustic treatment itch

All music posts here please.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Scratching the acoustic treatment itch

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I think that just about every piece of furniture / clutter / bric a brac / coverings in a room help the acoustics. As long as they are not resonant and don't block the line between speakers and ears.

Carpets, rugs, wallpaper, curtains, sofas, armchairs, bookshelves, circles from the set of the original Star Trek series, people, books, vinyl collections, foam panels, coffee tables, desks, pets, garden gnomes, stamp collections, motorbikes, the lot.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:07 am) • Geoff.R.G (Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:22 pm)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:17 am My wife would divorce me if I brought them into our home. :think: :angelic-little:
Do you want to give me your address :lol:
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
Lindsayt (Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:46 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

antonio66 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:09 am That looks to me like a good purchase, and I for one will be interested how you get on. Could you tell me the dimensions of your room and whether you have your speakers facing the shorter or longer length of the room.
To quote a musician friend my listening room is "sub optimal" and it hard to disagree. It's by design, deliberately minimalist, my ceilings are a paltry 227 cm high. It's L shaped, narrow part is 300cm wide, base of the L is 480cm wide and it's 456cm long at it's max. My modified Cubix are at the top of the L where it's 300cm. They are slightly toed in (20cm) on dedicated stands with the tweeters firing approximately at ear height. The rear face of the Cubix is 18 & 20cm from wall and the sides are 39cm from the side walls. They are tilted upwards at 4 or 5 degrees. As you can gauge I have "sweated" every aspect of the positioning and to be honest right now it's a bloody good system because every single item has been thought through a hundred times or more. Prior to collecting the acoustic discs I think it's a 50/50 bet if they improve the sound but I won't know until I try and I am nothing if not a curious soul. I still have a number of theoretical gains to pursue without spending a lot of cash and at £100 plus £25 fuel it's hardly going to break the bank. Plan B will be to make wall absorbers from a few of them and then put the spare ones back on to flea bay. As always nothing ventured, nothing learned 🙂
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:28 pm) • antonio66 (Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:05 pm)
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:47 pm
CycleCoach wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:48 pm I've got plenty of bike inner tubes and tyres in the garage if you need to roll them up the road! :lol:
Unless you have a penny farthing your tyres are going to be a tad small for the 900mm large discs 🙂
Oh, I've got some that will fit... 8-)

Also: don't forget to turn those discs sideways before you try to bring them through the front door! :lol:

Seriously though: really interested to hear how you get on!
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

That's very Graeme Obree in it's looks and it has something of a 80/90s feel to it.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:43 pm That's very Graeme Obree in it's looks and it has something of a 80/90s feel to it.
Francesco Moser in '88 I think (where he managed 32 miles in an hour to break the world record held for a long time by Eddy Merckx) Graham O'Bree. Boardman et al were just a bit later.
They've changed the rules now so all the bikes look pretty much the same: so much for innovation!
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Thanks for your detailed reply, never thought about putting any spare ones on the wall. I suppose the thing you want to know now is how to position them on the ceiling, and that is the $64,ooo question. You can get wall treatment pretty cheap on AE and they even do bass traps https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... +treatment

NSNO2021
Great Britain

If one of those 900mm disc lands on my head I will be off to the original A&E 😶

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:05 am I think that just about every piece of furniture / clutter / bric a brac / coverings in a room help the acoustics. As long as they are not resonant and don't block the line between speakers and ears.

Carpets, rugs, wallpaper, curtains, sofas, armchairs, bookshelves, circles from the set of the original Star Trek series, people, books, vinyl collections, foam panels, coffee tables, desks, pets, garden gnomes, stamp collections, motorbikes, the lot.
Any soft furnishings will absorb high frequencies or at least prevent reflections, hard surfaces can have an opposite effect. At least the average living room doesn’t have a tendency to boom at 125Hz. The most problematic thing I have encountered is a hollow false work “arch” installed as part of a room divider. The divider panels run on a track in the underside of the arch. The divider was useful when independence access was available to both sides but following various changes one side can only be accessed through other rooms. Get more than half a dozen people in there and conversation becomes near impossible, the capacity is considerably more than that.

The point being that sometimes “treatment” isn’t enough but, even with the divider, curtains or rugs on the walls made a big difference.

The other thing I have found useful is the RTA audio spectrum analyser for iPad that can quickly reveal problem frequency bands, there is a free version but the paid version has more frequency steps. Not very subjectivist but having an idea which frequency/ies are causing the problem can help with material choices.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:13 am) • NSNO2021 (Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:52 pm)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Is that the Randon Soft app Geoff ?