Completely in love with Vinyl (again!)

All music posts here please.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Completely in love with Vinyl (again!)

Unread post by Fretless »

I too was getting to the point where I was seriously considering selling off all of my remaining (300 or so) LP's and now I am so glad I didn't.

Digitising them is a slow process, very similar to taping albums on cassettes when I was young, but these 24bit/96KHz copies are something else when played through any digital rig. Even the little Fiio pocket player I use in the car sounds amazing when I blast a vinyl rip through it. This also allows me to directly compare the vinyl with CD versions - the standard CD's, on the whole, come out as flat and lifeless. The vinyl rips, luckily, maintain much of the fullness and character of the turntable source and are almost indistinguishable when played back through the same system via Allo DigiOne Signature streamer and Metrum Musette DAC.

I have 'tweaked' Audacity by doubling the buffer size to 200ms and reducing its (unnecessary) processing requirements. The copies it makes are now more stable, beep-free and more detailed.

Via Discogs I am slowly rebuilding my LP collection to an approximation of how it was in the mid/late 80's. Concentrating on old favourites and a few I missed out on back then. It's great to hear albums like The Alan Parsons Project 'Pyramid', David Sylvian 'Gone to Earth', Tangerine Dream 'Force Majeure' and Michael Rother 'Katzenmusik' in their full glory after decades of being content with 16bit/44.1KHz CD quality - the difference is so noticeable that it is as if you are discovering the music all over again. Hell, even Vangelis' weird contract-filler 'Beaubourg' sounds astonishing!

Which leaves me with a problem as I am now not very happy with the sound of CD's - but the main bulk of my collection is in that format and I have never heard the music in any other way. Just have to get used to it I suppose.

Wonder when my Logic TT will be back from the menders ... ?
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:23 am) • CycleCoach (Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:38 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Completely in love with Vinyl (again!)

Unread post by CN211276 »

I have not played vinyl for some time but will not be selling the collection as I did with my CDs. The vinyl collection takes up little space in comparison to all the CDs I had. It took me years to rip all my CDs. I digitised a few albums with Audacity and then could nor be arsed as nearly all of them can be streamed in high resolution. A few which were not I could buy cheaply as CDs to rip. Concur about the limitations of 44kHz 16 Bit.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Fretless (Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:38 am)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc