Completely in love with Vinyl (again!)

All music posts here please.
Fretless
Netherlands

Completely in love with Vinyl (again!)

Unread post by Fretless »

It's finally got to me - analogue fever.

After decades of being a hard-line digital fanatic / CD-worshipper, I have seen the light and returned to my first love, the place where it all started, the mighty and oft-maligned (by me!) LP record.

And yes, it is that hoary old chestnut, the inescapable audiophile staple, played-to-death, heard-it-soooo-many-times : Supertramp's magum opus 'Crime of the Century' that has provoked this revelation. I have had just about every CD remaster / reissue of this classic - longing for an edition that would bring back the spine-tingling teenage shivers I experienced with 'School', 'Bloody Well Right' and Dreamer'. And it has taken me to a bog-standard, old but well-preserved and secondhand vinyl copy to achieve this. Back to square one and wondering "Why the hell did I ever leave?".

Then I put on 'Crisis? What Crisis?' - and a wave of nostalgia washes over me, this was the very first 'rock' album that I ever really listened to. At the age of 12/13 I had a cassette copy of this that was played incessantly, needing to soak up every note, word and inflection. This was new, this was music!

I have spent (too) many thousands of pounds/euros and agonising hours acquiring a seriously large CD assortment - basically to replace and expand on the (2500+) LP collection that I sold off when I moved to Holland. And I have been pretty successful in doing that, (digital) Hifi has also improved dramatically along the way and everything was fine. However, the better the CD and Digital playback became, the more I began to realise that I was trying to recapture that 'analogue' feeling and my choice of DAC shows this. The NOS models have a roundness and fullness of sound that oversampling DACs lose in favour of a drier and more 'accurate' character. The Metrum Musette, Teradak Chameleon and, now, Denafrips Ares II have all played a part in building up a desire for the 'analogue feel'. The obvious next step? Analogue itself.

So it was back downstairs to the old NVA amps and Arcam One speakers that I have now had for 35 years, turntable on and it sounds marvellous to my digitally-orientated ears. So I am revelling again in Alan Parsons 'Pyramid' and 'I Robot', Jean-Michel Jarre, Mike Oldfield, Camel, Saga, OMD and other life-changing LP's that I had never realised I would want (need!) to own again.

Ah well, 'Easy Does It' as they say. :grin:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 3):
CycleCoach (Sat May 15, 2021 10:46 am) • CN211276 (Sat May 15, 2021 4:51 pm) • Latteman (Sat May 15, 2021 5:30 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Daniel Quinn

Re: Completely in love with Vinyl (again!)

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

If your a 70s rock fan , you owe to yourself to listen on vinyl
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Latteman (Sat May 15, 2021 12:20 pm)

Fretless
Netherlands

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:42 am If your a 70s rock fan , you owe to yourself to listen on vinyl
Too right DQ. :clap:

And a major Genesis revisit is in the planning. :guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Unread post by TheMarlin »

I have to say, some modern repress vinyl is nowhere near as good as the original.

One example is the remaster of The Smiths The Queen is Dead. I bought it when it came out a few years ago, I’ve only ever played the first side, then buried it in my collection. It’s almost pressed too hot, it’s like the headroom is compressed, and the sibilance on Morrisey’s S sounds is bloody awful.

After listening to that, I set my turntable up again, carefully measuring everything, checking stylus angle, alignment, VTA etc, no difference. It’s just a terrible pressing.

That’s the only thing about vinyl, you can’t tell if you’re buying something that’ll be great to listen to, or awful until you get it home. Many new presses sound flat, dull, no dynamics. They sound digital, you receive no benefit from vinyl format, probably sound better as a digital source.

One of my favourite pressings of recent years is B.C Camplight - Shortly After Takeoff. That sounds wonderful on vinyl. But, a lot of new vinyl these days is not mastered properly for the format, with very disappointing results for such an increasingly expensive format.
These users thanked the author TheMarlin for the post:
NSNO2021 (Sat May 15, 2021 6:34 pm)
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

DaveyTed
Great Britain

Unread post by DaveyTed »

Totally agree with the variance in quality.
I have been unimpressed with some of the 180gm vinyl which is supposedly a higher quality product. The only benefit of 180gm appears to be less warping if badly stored.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

70s rock classics remastered usually involves digital.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Analogue or digital boils down to subjective opinion. What cannot be disputed is that digital has made great strides in recent years and it is a no brainer in terms of convenience. I have grown acustomed to controlling everything from my phone without leaving the sofa and having more or less everything available at my finger tips via Qobuz and the NAS. :grin: Whilst convenience is a big plus, simplicity is not. I have acumulated quite a collection of boxes, filters and cables, so many that I gave up having an equipment signature. :lol: Thankfully most of the boxes are on the small size. They all enhance the enjoyment of music to a greater or lesser extent, mainly in proportion to price, the Cisco switches being something of a give away.

I ripped and sold my large CD collection, which was taking up far too much space, some time ago. The vinyl, far less as I stopped buying it in the mid 80s, remains. I would say that it is in the cupboard, but I have not thrown away the key. :lol:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
CycleCoach (Sat May 15, 2021 5:41 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Glad to hear U have enjoyed your ‘return’ to records.
Records have always been my number one source with any equipment purchased to aid its progression.
I do love this modern world with the technology for digital and streaming it brings- plus a good sound as well.
My passion for a new record purchase remains strong but buyers remorse does creep in when I buy one album at £30 when I know for £1 I can get at least 6 cds or £10 gets me a monthly subscription
We are being penalised for favouring vinyl
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Fretless
Netherlands

Discogs rules. I'm paying about the same for used near-mint vinyl as I have to for new CDs from Dodax.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Congratulations Fret :clap:

I can't wait to get my vinyl source going again, be it LP12 or PL71. I can't say I care which one makes it first although it would be nice if the Pioneer was to be my favourite, just for RD and his memory. I have a few first pressings from led zep, beatles, stones, santana, the wurzels and a few others.

There is no contest for me as regards anologue vs digital for outright enjoyment. Anologue every time as long as it was recorded via anologue means. Anything recorded digitally then you might as well stream it or play the CD.

Carry on the enjoyment :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE