All music posts here please.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Pure anologue modern vinyl

Unread post by CN211276 »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:48 am
CN211276 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:38 am
savvypaul wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:18 am
I would concur that whether analogue sounds better than 44kHz 16 Bit digital is a matter of opinion. For me redbook digital sounded better, but for extended listening I preferred vinyl. The game changer for me is upsampeling. IMO it restores everything digital looses in terms of emotion. Lets face it, analogue has been going for over a hundred years and it took many decades to reach a standard anywhere near what we have now. Digital has only been around for little more than forty years and for me, with technological advances (eg the micro chip, high speed broadband and upsampling) it has now really come of age.
Interesting, although the M-Scaler is beyond both my wallet and my own (self-inflicted) value equation. I've heard of some people upscaling before the DAC, using software. I can't remember exactly what, though.

EDIT - I think it was HQPlayer
I am intrigued as to how upscaling or upsampling make the sound better. As with burnt out highlights in a photograph, you can't put back what isn't there. If something important happens between samples it is gone. That applies whatever the sample rate, with analog you don't have that problem but you do have dynamic range limitations instead.
I don't know how upsampling improves sound, but to my ears there is a big difference. I am not sure if eveyone hears the same difference as the frequencies are way above the range of human hearing. It is all to do with how the brain precieves sound and I believe this varies from individual to individual. The other big factor is the quality of the rest of the system. The Mscaler did little for me through 3.5K WAF speakers. I would not have bought it without a home loan.

Rob Watts has said a lot about how upscaling works which a Google search will reveal. I 'm not sure if he is telling the true story amongst the marketing jargon. To summarise he says one million taps restores the original analogue signal. If the recording process was totally digital I find this a bit baffeling.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Pure anologue modern vinyl

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:00 pm Rob Watts has said a lot about how upscaling works which a Google search will reveal. I 'm not sure if he is telling the true story amongst the marketing jargon. To summarise he says one million taps restores the original analogue signal. If the recording process was totally digital I find this a bit baffling.
Sounds like interpolation to me! If the information isn't in the recording no amount of sampling can bring it back. What oversampling can do is to eliminate, or significantly reduce, read errors. If you read each sample four times and average the result you reduce the error, assuming there is one, which would make a difference.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:13 pm) • slinger (Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:44 pm)