Bernie Marsden

All music posts here please.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Bernie Marsden

Unread post by slinger »

I know we've got a few blues fans, and fans of great guitar playing, so it's a pleasure to let you guys know that Bernie Marsden has a new album out on July 23rd, called "Kings." If you hadn't already guessed, it features the songs of B.B., Albert, and Freddie King. The Pre Order price of the CD on Amazon is £12.95 or you can order a signed copy for a few bob more from Bernie's website. https://berniemarsden.com/

Bernie is one of my favourite players, and has one of the greatest guitar tones around, in my opinion. One of my "dream" guitars is his Paul Reed Smith SE Bernie Marsden Signature. I wish I could justify spending six or seven hundred quid on a used model. :naughty:

The "impossible dream" is the Gibson Les Paul 1959 Custom Shop model, known as Bernie Marsden's "The Beast" and which, if you could actually find one, retails for around £12,000.00+

Obligatory blurb...
In summer 2018 Bernie was invited to join Billy Gibbons on stage, and Billy said to him, “Bernie, wouldn’t it be great if we could all record the songs we grew up with as we learned to play the guitar?” Rather than suffer the usual fate of great ideas that are left to litter the dressing room floor, Bernie immediately set about making a list, and the “Inspirations” Series was born. “KINGS” is the first album of Bernie Marsden’s “Inspirations”. Featuring 10 songs that were originally recorded by Albert, B.B. & Freddie King, and recorded in a studio in Oxfordshire with a band that just locked into a groove, “KINGS” is chock full of blues and soul. Two Bernie Marsden penned instrumentals inspired by The Kings appear as the final two tracks on the album.
I've got a signed copy on the way.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
CycleCoach (Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:46 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Bernie Marsden

Unread post by CN211276 »

Whitesnake are one of my favourite bands and Marsden is on what I consider to be their best, before Coverdale decided to target the American market.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

The second part of the trilogy, Chess, is out on Nov 26th. I've got mine pre-ordered.
EXCLUSIVE SIGNED EDITION
Pre-order before the 26th Nov and receive an exclusive CHESS plectrum
(whilst stocks last)

‘CHESS’ is the second album in Bernie Marsden’s ‘Inspiration Series’, where he chooses and crafts his own interpretation of the iconic artists and songs that helped inspire and shape his own musical style and taste.

The album features 10 tracks that were originally released on Chess by greats such as Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Howlin’ Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson, Muddy Waters & Elmore James. What’s more, two Bernie Marsden-penned instrumentals appear as bonus tracks on the album.

Special Limited Edition Digipak CD with 16 Page Booklet.

TRACK LISTING

1. Just Your Fool
2. Back In The USA
3. Grits Ain’t Groceries
4. I’m Ready
5. You Can’t Judge A Book
6. I Can’t Hold Out
7. Won’t Be Hanging Around
8. Fattening Frogs For Snakes
9. That’s Alright
10. Who’s Been Talking
11. Lester
12. Johnny
The price is £16.25 delivered, or a bit cheaper at Amazon without the "extras".

https://berniemarsden.com/product/chess/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Bernie's got a new one coming out. This is from an email I've just received advertising the single (Black Cat Moan) from the album.
Bernie releases his new single, Black Cat Moan through Conquest Music, on 22nd April 2022, available on all digital platforms.

The single is a cover of the Don Nix song that was released in 1973 by rock supergroup and power trio, Beck, Bogert, Appice.

Black Cat Moan is the first glimpse from the new Bernie Marsden album TRIOS which will be out through Conquest Music this Summer.

TRIOS is the third album of his ‘Inspirations’ series wherein Bernie Marsden pays tribute to the songs and artists which helped shape his own, hugely influential career as a composer and guitarist.

KINGS & CHESS, the first two Inspirations albums both reached #1 in the Blues chart & gained Bernie his first top 20 album sales chart position in 40 years.

As the title suggests, TRIOS contains Bernie’s own interpretations of songs recorded by some of the greatest power trios in history. This album sees a harder-rocking side of Bernie Marsden and is sure to delight lovers of classic rock.
If TRIOS is anywhere near as good as the previous two in the "Inspirations" series (Chess and Kings) it should be a stonking good listen..
CN211276 (Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:35 pm)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Trios is now out, and I've ordered my signed copy.

https://berniemarsden.com/product/trios/
“TRIOS” is the third album of Bernie Marsden’s “Inspirations Series”. Bernie pays homage to the iconic rock power trios of the 60s/70s on this superb new album. Released 5th August.

THE FIRST 500 ORDERS GET A SIGNED COPY WITH PLECTRUM.

TRACK LISTING

1. Black Cat Moan (Beck, Bogert & Appice)
2. Driftin’ Blues (Peter Green)
3. Funk #49 (James Gang - Joe Walsh)
4. Never In My Life (Mountain - Leslie West)
5. Outside Woman Blues (Cream - EC)
6. Drifting (Hendrix)
7. Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo (Johnny Winter/Rick Derringer)
8. Same Old Story (Taste - Rory Gallagher)
9. Spanish Castle Magic (Hendrix)
10. Too Rolling Stoned (Robin Trower)
11. Na Na Na (Cozy Powell - Bernie Marsden)

That final track, ‘Na Na Na,’ holds very special memories for Bernie, as he performed on the track as a fresh-faced 23-year-old in 1974 alongside Cozy Powell, Frank Aiello, Clive Chaman and future Deep Purple star Don Airey.

“‘Na Na Na’ was a pivotal moment in my career,” reflects Marsden. “It was the first time I had recorded with Mickie Most: he was Cozy Powell’s producer. We were thrust upon the pop circuit — especially Top of the Pops — where the single made Top Ten in 1974.

This new version of ‘Na Na Na’ was instigated by my late friend, drummer 'Jimmy’ Copley. He had actually seen us on Top of the Pops, was a big Cozy fan and during the 'Trios' recording sessions wanted to play a Cozy drum lick or two!

Original Whitesnake member Neil Murray plays bass guitar on the new version, and I used the very same guitar that I had used on the original 1974 single.”

In keeping with these nostalgic vibes, the ‘Na Na Na’ video features young musicians who recreate Cozy Powell’s Hammer’s appearance on Top of the Pops in 1974.

Introduced by Bernie Marsden himself, the ‘Na Na Na’ video was filmed at Fairycroft House in Saffron Walden.

Presented by Louie the Man, the young band’s line-up (miming along to the track in true Top of the Pops style) is Attie Buckle on drums; Flynn Clements on bass; Finn Thompson on guitar and Mark Squires on vocals.
I really like the fact that there isn't a single track that is an "obvious" cover, despite the big-name guitarists involved. Noting the original artists next to the tracks was my gift to you because you're worth it. Image
CN211276 (Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:36 pm)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Na Na Na has been played a lot on Planet Rock recently. Remember it well from back in the day.

Saw Cozy Powel with Whitesnake on the Slide it in tour. He played an extended solo to Holst's Mars from the Planets with pyrotechnics. Bernie Marsden had left the band by then, replaced by Mel Galley. Ian Paice had also left the band because Coverdale was becoming too overbearing. Have always considered the classic line up to be Coverdale, Marsden, Moody, Murray, Lord and Paice, before they made it really big.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc