Genesis release

All music posts here please.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Genesis release

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Glad you enjoyed it theo.

In much the same way I never visited my father at the funeral building, I'm glad I never went.

I'm content to remember what was.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I feel the same DQ, and that goes for Yes and Jethro Tull, my two favourites

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Went to see them again on friday in Manchester. Phil on much better form, but still singing two notes lower on most songs, and with the strangest 'lag' on the notes, as if he's struggling to keep up. He's developed a bit of a shake too. I'm no expert, but it looks like classic Parkinsons symptoms.

However, the band are still absolutely spot on: the songs feel very 'muscular' this time round and a lot of that is down to Nick Collins. They do seem to be enjoying themselves, and the crowd absolutely adores them - it was a mutual love fest. Looked like a capacity 17k+ crowd.

We all know that this is the last time round, so we're all enjoying that and forgetting the obvious problems. I can fully understand those who would wish to remember them in their prime as a live act, and during the Collins era between 1976 and 1984 the band were absolutely flying. I'm still happy I went. In fact, I might do one more...
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I saw Genesis on the 1992 'We Can't Dance' Tour, which was huge and powerful. And again on the 2007 'Turn It On Again' Tour which I found to be a weak shadow of the band. Don't know if they will be coming to Europe - but I'm not sure I will be going this time around.

Hackett's Genesis Revisited concerts would seem to be a better bet.

Almost the only Classic Prog-era band still running on full power is King Crimson, although Fripp has signalled that the current US tour will be the final one - they cancelled the last gig in Nijmegen, which I was planning to see, as they had to play something called the 'Albert Hall' somewehere.

:snooty:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Saw a You Tube video of the current Genesis tour and was shocked by the detirioration of Phil Collins. Saw Steve Hackett a couple of years ago and agree that this is the best way to relive early Genesis. Could have seen him the other week with a free ticket but was put off by Covid.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

I've done a couple of the Hackett 'tribute band' gigs, and even though the songs are a good facsimile of the old tunes, they definitely lack the 'swing' of the originals. I also don't like the way that he extends the ending of 'Suppers ready' far beyond the original fade out (by five mins!), and where he slots in some of his solo stuff into the middle of 'Los Endos'. Yes, you get the full fat versions of all the old tunes, but I find it unsatisfying. I also dislike Nad Sylvan's vocal mannerisms.

All IMO of course.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Hackett is duplicitous. He left genesis because he didn't have enough say in how the songs sounded.Fair enough. However, 40 year later he earns a living as a genesis tribute band. Go figure.

You may as well watch musical box or mama, cheaper, more songs and a genuine attempt to sound like the original.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Theo (Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:30 pm)

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Has thanked: 0
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

Genesis is a good example of why you should not go overboard lauding your heroes. (Dylan is another.)

At 9pm today Genesis in concert on public television Buffalo,NY.

New concert, so I am expecting the ABSOLUTE WORSE.

After "Abacab" Genesis became fad tarts from the Devil's whorehouse. Complete embarrassment to the origional fans.

I will watch - at least the first 5 minutes of this broadcast concert. Should give me enough to prove my point.

Genesis after "Abacab":

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Has thanked: 0
Canada

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

Yer average POST "Abacab" Genesis audience:

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

For me everything after Duke, you must be half way to being the 2nd photo Mississippi :lol: