James Patrick Page OBE

All music posts here please.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

James Patrick Page OBE

Unread post by slinger »

Inspired by CN211276's visit to hear Jimmy Page talk about his life in music, I thought that some people might imagine he wandered, fully formed, into Led Zeppelin (Jimmy, not CN211276), or maybe they knew about the Yardbirds too. More likely they've never even thought about it at all.

I'm here to right those wrongs. Last year, I wrote a short piece about Jimmy in a series on British guitarists, and I've built on the early part of that here. It's hardly exhaustive research, but I thought it might interest a few people, so I took the time to knock it out and research and provide the links to flesh the (very) basics out.

Jimmy learned a lot of his trade from the best guitar session man of the time, "Big" Jim Sullivan, often playing the same sessions together, as on Dave Berry's "The Crying Game, with Big Jim playing the lead, and using a double neck, while "Little" Jim, as he became known, played rhythm.

[/bbvideo]

This is a great article, and if you don't know already, be prepared to be amazed at some of the classic releases that Little Jim played on. There are hundreds, possibly thousands, more. Needless to say, as a confirmed music geek, I lap stuff like this up. The mention of "Beck's Bolero" is particularly pertinent, as is P.J. Proby's "Jim's Blues".

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/jimmy-page-before-led-zeppelin-20-great-sixties-session-songs-151465/

As you can see, his "career" started a long time before he replaced Paul Samwell-Smith in the Yardbirds (on bass), but what came before certainly explains why they'd been trying to recruit him for a couple of years prior to his joining them.

This video is quite good too if you can ignore the awful voiceover. ;)

Viv Prince, who gets a blink-and-you'll-miss-it photo credit in the above video was a drummer with the Pretty Things and influenced Keith Moon... his behaviour more than his drumming. In 1963 he became the first British rock musician against whom a drug-related charge was brought up in the court.

According to Jimmy Page, Prince was also the one to coin the nickname "Moon the Loon" for Keith.

It's also been said that Viv was expelled from the Hell's Angels for bad behaviour in the late sixties. :guiness; :lol:

The sixties really were a "different time" in so many more ways than just the obvious, and I've often thought that if I were ten years older I'd have had a brilliant time with the music scene that was happening, and I'd undoubtedly be dead by now.

If you'd like to learn more, that's why God gave us Google. :P
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 3):
CN211276 (Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:45 pm) • Fretless (Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:52 pm) • Grumpytim (Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:19 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: James Patrick Page OBE

Unread post by CN211276 »

He spoke about how he made a name for himself with Diamonds and instantly became very much in demand. As I was aware, he told the audience he took up session work because the rigours of touring with a band and spending so much time in the back of a freezing cold van was making him ill.

The Supermen is one of my favourite Bowie tracks and I had no idea Page came up with the riff years earlier.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
slinger (Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:46 am)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

Great stuff.

Funny you should mention Vivian Prince, I was only playing my favourite Pretty Things album, Rage Before Beauty, yesterday. This is a track off it, dedicated to the original wild boy..

These users thanked the author BillyBones for the post:
slinger (Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:46 pm)

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

How many designers of electronic get OBE? or are they just murdered?
These users thanked the author Wonfor14 for the post:
Progmeister (Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:54 am)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Wonfor14 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:38 am How many designers of electronic get OBE? or are they just murdered?
A turntable "designer" (thief) got the MBE, one Ivor Tiefenbrun. :lol:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Wonfor14 (Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:55 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

I have suspicions that a ex-debt collector will apply for one like he did for the Queen award for stealing designs and credit.