Pretty pissed about this really....

Private sales of kit go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Pretty pissed about this really....

Unread post by zebbo »

When we moved here I was hopeful that the room may actually be better than my previous house as it was slightly larger and not an L shape as before. When I renovated it I stuffed the ceiling void with acoustic insulation and double boarded before skimming. The walls are all brick/block and, although it has a suspended floor it is very solid with just a foot or so of void beneath. We have a decent carpet, 3 sofas and some shelving units to break up the room. It's a dual aspect room with two large windows and also has it's own, newly wired circuit. I'm assuming the main issue, apart from my hearing, is the perfect rectangle shape of the room. I just can't get it to sound anything other than bloomy and "sat on" but I know it can sound huge and airy. I am using the BMU as I did before, but haven't tried removing that from the system yet
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

I had a similar problem which meant that I sold all of my Teddy Pardo kit and moved to NVA as I needed a balance control.

I now wear hearing aids and it’s been something of a revelation. Once I get the volume right on my amp, the cube 3s are stunning.

To keep the post honest, I’m looking to move house (downsizing) so have sold all of my NVA and gone back to Teddy Pardo as it’s a fraction of the size of the Statement amp I was using.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Well, here's a thing!
I finally got around to connecting everything up without the BMU - what a revelation! The life is back, the air is back, I can't believe the difference. Previously the BMU was a big improvement so I simply put it in place expecting the same outcome. My first thought was that the mains here must have different properties but I always use a mains regenerator! :think:
These users thanked the author zebbo for the post:
antonio66 (Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:03 am)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

It also shows that my hearing issues aren't actually that devastating! :dance:
These users thanked the author zebbo for the post (total 5):
Geoff.R.G (Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:00 pm) • slinger (Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:35 pm) • Lindsayt (Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:39 am) • EcoFreek (Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:06 pm) • CycleCoach (Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:20 pm)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

zebbo wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:59 pm It also shows that my hearing issues aren't actually that devastating! :dance:
I rest my case

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I prefer mine without BMU as well.
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

BMU effect is usually dependent on your mains quality. If I remove BMU, here, the sound falls apart. If you have good mains to start with, no need to introduce additional components.

I've been trialling a prototype BMU with a Toroidy balanced transformer. It's the best I've heard my system, and the BMU never buzzes (my original version buzzed regularly).
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

zebbo wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:59 pm It also shows that my hearing issues aren't actually that devastating! :dance:
Very pleased for you Zebbo, keep enjoying your music.

quickie2
Great Britain

Unread post by quickie2 »

Richard was a fan of Avel Lindberg transformers back in the day, and I had no issues with mechanical noise on the original A80's which used a 300va for the input/pre driver/driver, and 450 va on the output so 750va per monolock.

Later amps with the Clairtronic, Vigortronix and others didn't fare as well despite using a much smaller VA rating.

The Toroidy audio grade transformers are nice. I've never had one buzz here, even on large va ratings despite having shite mains. Canterbury Windings (old ILP/Antrim) are also good in my experience.
These users thanked the author quickie2 for the post:
slinger (Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:53 pm)
My noise making stuff :

Modified Arcam Alpha 5 CD Player
Inca Designs ID1P Pre
Prototype EWA A40 Power
Q Acoustics 2010i/Royd Minstrel speakers

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

All my gear remains available if anyone is interested. Reasonable offers also considered of course.