Secondhand items - pricing debate

Private sales of kit go here.
montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Secondhand Items - Pricing Debate

Unread post by montechristo358 »

NSNO2021 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:42 pm A fair price is what someone is happy to pay for and to my way of the thinking what the seller paid for is immaterial
indeed, otherwise I'd be expecting people to sell their houses with no increase over what they paid for them in value, just to be fair to everyone.

I'm sure DQ would agree?

That said in the particular case that started this debate I have no idea what I paid back then so have priced at what looks to me reasonable v the cost of a new one. As always if anyone wants to make an offer of what they think its worth........

With stuff like this the other consideration is always what it would cost me should I require another one in the future and I doubt I'd get one for less than or even the asking if I find selling was a bad idea!

That said thinking like that is why I always have a cupboard full of unused gear clogging up the place!
These users thanked the author montechristo358 for the post (total 4):
savvypaul (Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:22 pm) • Lindsayt (Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:38 pm) • NSNO2021 (Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:22 pm) • Hemmo1969 (Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:45 am)
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Re: Secondhand items - pricing debate

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I don't think what the seller paid is immaterial, for sure it factors into the formulation of an offer. It's foolish to give people free money 'just because'.

Sellers should set their price to reflect market conditions, whether that's with houses or audio components.
These users thanked the author George Hincapie for the post:
savvypaul (Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:33 pm)
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables
Forza Audio Works • Blue Jeans • DH Labs • Periapt

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Secondhand Items - pricing debate

Unread post by Lindsayt »

montechristo358 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:17 pm
NSNO2021 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:42 pm A fair price is what someone is happy to pay for and to my way of the thinking what the seller paid for is immaterial
indeed, otherwise I'd be expecting people to sell their houses with no increase over what they paid for them in value, just to be fair to everyone.

I'm sure DQ would agree?

That said in the particular case that started this debate I have no idea what I paid back then so have priced at what looks to me reasonable v the cost of a new one. As always if anyone wants to make an offer of what they think its worth........

With stuff like this the other consideration is always what it would cost me should I require another one in the future and I doubt I'd get one for less than or even the asking if I find selling was a bad idea!

That said thinking like that is why I always have a cupboard full of unused gear clogging up the place!
Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:29 pm 4 years old and selling it for more than double what you paid for it .

Sign of the times .
This is one of those where I am in agreement with what DQ said and in agreement with what montechristo said.

On the one hand, it's fair comment for DQ to say that £450 does seem like an excessively high asking price.
One of the foundations of this forum was Richard Dunn battling against the slurp.

On the other hand it was just an opening price from montechristo. And it can be tricky to put an appropriate valution on an item. Especially when there's not 10 similar items already on sale on ebay.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
George Hincapie (Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:08 pm)

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Re: Secondhand Items - pricing debate

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Lindsayt wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:53 pm
This is one of those where I am in agreement with what DQ said and in agreement with what montechristo said.

On the one hand, it's fair comment for DQ to say that £450 does seem like an excessively high asking price.
One of the foundations of this forum was Richard Dunn battling against the slurp.

On the other hand it was just an opening price from montechristo. And it can be tricky to put an appropriate valution on an item. Especially when there's not 10 similar items already on sale on ebay.
It is difficult to price audio components. I find it very hard to determine a fair price. For example, I recently sold a Metrum HPA that cost £1000 when new. The previous sales on eBay suggested £500 or so, so that's around what I set it at. It went week after week without a buyer, and in the end someone took it for my opening price of £250. A real bargain for them, but not close to what I wanted. That's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.
These users thanked the author George Hincapie for the post (total 2):
Lindsayt (Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:04 pm) • savvypaul (Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:08 pm)
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables
Forza Audio Works • Blue Jeans • DH Labs • Periapt

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I regularly buy and sell all sorts of stuff. Sometimes I am delighted by the bids and sometimes disappointed. There's no written in stone rules to the what someone sets the initial price at and that's why I stick by my original response of a fair price is the price someone is prepared to pay the seller
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

One tool available to both buyers and sellers is the Completed Listings feature on eBay (as alluded to above, by GH). Search for your desired item(s) on eBay, then click on 'Advanced' and select 'Completed Listings. The results will show you what the same / similar items have sold for (or failed to sell for) over the course of the past several months.

A completed listings search for 'NVA' in the 'sound & Vision' category has just returned these results: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/293/i.html?_ ... =1&_ipg=60
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
George Hincapie (Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:51 pm) • CN211276 (Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:08 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The BMU was sold for more than what I paid for mine six years ago. Can't remember what I paid for my Cubettes but I think it was less taking into account the £35 postage.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Montecristo . You are so wrong . House price inflation is however completely different and complex

I find it best not to assume anything

montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by montechristo358 »

your previous postings on this topic would suggest otherwise to me, but hey ho.........
These users thanked the author montechristo358 for the post:
NSNO2021 (Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:21 pm)
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I agree with Daniel. That AP10P is overpriced!

S.
These users thanked the author southall-1998 for the post:
Lindsayt (Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:12 pm)
Shane Lonergan.