Introduce Yourselves

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Wonfor14
Great Britain

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

Fantastic news DQ, well done .
Antonio lets start a tin smashing club, and long live re-cycle can be out slogan, for us and the tins.
As to Robots I have always walked like a Robot, I used be able to run faster in reverse than forward, it tortured my brother Andy has he ran for the school and I could beat him in reverse, Sorry Andy if you are reading this, but you would win now bruv.

TheRealAleman
Wales

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

Hi All,

Short time lurker, Long time Audiophile :D Was attracted by the NVA Hifi posts on face book, and have got to say that the "less is more" principle really rings true with me. Unfortunately, I can't often afford it :(

So current system comprises

Linn Sondek LP12 Basik Arm, from 1987, with a recent Adikt MM Cartridge, and Majik PSU following the demise of the original Valhalla
Cambridge Audio Azure 640A Integrated Amp with "optional" MM phono input
Dali Oberon 5 Speakers

Additional Sources

Cambridge Audio 650C CD player
Denon TU260L Tuner

Where to from here, and why? Well the caps gave out on the Valhalla PS in the Sondek three years ago, and thanks to the guys at Brian And Trevors in Manchester, I replaced it with a Majik PSU. At the same time I was looking for a replacement cartridge for the K5 I'd had since buying the turntable, and got a good deal on the Adikt. Unfortunately I also listened to an awful lot of damned good HiFi which has irritated my "Tweaking" obsession. The next upgrade will be a Karousel bearing kit for the sondek, and at some further stage a Lingo IV PSU.

That leaves me with amplification, the Oberons are staying :D, which is good in a way, as it removes the temptation to Bi-Amp or Bi-Wire, although I do have a pair of Cyrus 780SE's in the loft if I want to do that :lol: If I had a good Rummage around up in the loft I could probably turn up my Quad 33 pre amp, which is in need of repair/service. Then again would I want to partner it with "Modern" power amps like the M300's? I'd love the P1 (MC) / PA50 SE Mk II / M300 option, as long as I can name NVA hi Fi in the divorce :lol:

I guess I just have to carry on drooling, and wait until I retire and see what sort of a lump sum I get offered :(

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Welcome Beer Lover!
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
TheRealAleman (Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:28 pm)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Welcome to HFS, TheRealAleman. As you've seen, if you've been lurking, although this is a "home" of NVA we're by no means limited by that, so dive right in wherever you feel comfortable. We'll talk about any old bollox. :lol:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Hi, realaleman,

Enjoy the forum.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Welcome RealAleman, and as Mr Slinger mentions, there's plenty of old bo--ocks on this forum, and it sounds like you'll fit in well if your thinking about retirement :grin: You could always start a thread about your LP12, they always go down well here :whistle:
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Greetings from Norfolk Island. Rex here. I was introduced to NVA gear by my now departed friend, Dale Kemp. As a valve amp man, NVA gear struck a chord with me due to the absence of the usual transistor amp grunginess, which i loath. Anyway, Dale and i imported NVA stuff into NZ, selling integrated & power amps and the odd CD player. Dale and i set up the first NVA website, from compiling many reviews to administering the server. It was hard slog for Richard at this time and he offered his business to us, which we couldn't see working from the other end of the world. It all just petered out, we never sold that much. I kept the NVA website running for many many years as a memorial for the brand, and then for my friend Dale who passed away. I still miss him.

It's good to see the brand and ethos revived here.

I have a lightly modified AP70 sitting here as part of my workstation and upstairs in the HT room sits a rebuilt (after complete meltdown) AP20 running the tweeters, a built-from-scratch-using-boards-richard-gave-us power amp running the mid/fullrange and a 350W yamaha power amp running the woofers in an active triamp setup. It sounds superb.

Anyway, just thought i'd say hi. If anyone has any questions, i'm happy to help.

Cheers, Rex
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
slinger (Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:16 pm)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Hi, Rex, and welcome to Hi-Fi Subjectivist (HFS). What a great bit of history. I have a feeling you're going to get lots of questions. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Interesting rex, when was this ?

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:20 pm Interesting rex, when was this ?
I had to check. Last NVA sale was a CD player mid 2001. What model isn't recorded, but it was probably a CD50.

Funny story. Dale and couldn't pin down what we thought was odd about the eject button on the CD players. In the end Dale asked if the button was the eye from a teddy bear. 'YES' was Richards' response, 'you are the only people to notice that.'
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
slinger (Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:26 pm)