Introduce Yourselves

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

CN211276 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:04 am Welcome to the forum. You might wish to consider ripping your CD collection to FLAC and getting a decent DAC which will not cost the earth. I found that ripped CDs and streams sounded better than my CD player, but I did not have NVA amplification at the time.
Agreed. Except I rip to WAV. There's a debate as to whether WAV sounds better than FLAC as there is less processing to do. Also, using something like JRiver MediaPlayer allows you to play from RAM rather than HDD which again may increase SQ. Finally a bit of software called Fidelizer will optimise computer settings for best quality playback.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

You could be right about WAV sounding better than FLAC - maybe it's about time I compared the two again. The main argument was that FLAC uses less disk-space but these days there is no worry about storage size - certainly when HDD's are being measured in Tb rather than Gb.
Currently have 4500+ CD's in FLAC files - please don't make me re-rip them all as WAV's.... :pray:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Simon Hickie

As FLAC is lossless, you could simply do a batch conversion to WAV. I believe the WAV file is then bit identical to if it was ripped as WAV in the first place. On the other hand if you have a few hundred hours to spare...;)

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

WAV v FLAC - now that is an earing test. :ugeek: :lol:
Last edited by antonio66 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Hello

I have just joined this forum to get a listen to the P20/A20 on the loan scheme and get a feel for the NVA sound.

I first heard an NVA amp at a hifi show in June this year. I liked it and tried to find out more information
but there seemed to be very little about, except for this forum, the NVA site and reading between the lines on other forums.

I currently have a valve system, and although very happy with the sound, I am looking for something else that does not involve valves,
does not need expensive repairs, does not get too hot and can be left on without fear of flaming the house and melting little ones' hands.

I don't intend to sell on the valve system, just put it away and run another for the foreseeable future.

I have very little experience of 'hifi', have only owned 1 system and 2 pairs of speakers and only heard other systems at hifi shows.

Cheers, Kevin.
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Hello Kevin,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you wont be disappointed with the starter system. And that is only the starter system ! Stevetheshadow went from valves to P20 + A20. You may find there is no going back.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Welcome Kevin, enjoy the forum.

Simon Hickie

Greetings Kevin. I'd be most interested to hear of your findings re. valves vs NVA amplification. I have an EL34 based Icon Audio amplifier and it will have to be something pretty good for me to make the switch.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

ArloFlynn wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:20 am Hello

I have just joined this forum to get a listen to the P20/A20 on the loan scheme and get a feel for the NVA sound.

I first heard an NVA amp at a hifi show in June this year. I liked it and tried to find out more information
but there seemed to be very little about, except for this forum, the NVA site and reading between the lines on other forums.

I currently have a valve system, and although very happy with the sound, I am looking for something else that does not involve valves,
does not need expensive repairs, does not get too hot and can be left on without fear of flaming the house and melting little ones' hands.

I don't intend to sell on the valve system, just put it away and run another for the foreseeable future.

I have very little experience of 'hifi', have only owned 1 system and 2 pairs of speakers and only heard other systems at hifi shows.

Cheers, Kevin.
Put your name down on the loan thread and PM or email me name, address, and phone number.

tweet_my_ribbon

Unread post by tweet_my_ribbon »

Greetings to all. Having sold most of my hi-fi gear some years ago I thought I'd rid myself of the need for a decent set up. Of course the need never went away, it just morphed into " Oh computer audio is fine, even low quality mp3 podcasts", and has now come around to bite me in the 'loss of real audio' backside. Hell, a portion of my Vinyl, CDs & tapes were let go.

Yes, regrets, but now it's time to make amends and return to audio land.

My remaining gear consists of Technics SL1210 mk2, AT 95E MM, Musical Fidelity XLP phone stage, sound organisation 4 shelf rack, unbranded shielded interconnet, B&O beovision 1 telly with active analogue speakers, phono stage connects into tv camcorder inputs. As good as the telly sounds it's been at best a compromise.

I'm on the look out for some active bookshelf speakers to start with and have been considering the Quad 9AS.

Any ideas welcome for CD player, speakers, cables.
NVA amps, speakers, interconnects & speaker cables produce the music.

With help from Technics, Audio Technica, Jelco, Hana, Musical Fidelity, Sony, Cyrus & Soneteer.