How Not To Die

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lindsayt
Nauru

How Not To Die

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I've been reading Michael Greger's book; How Not To Die.

The basis of his book is that the typical US (and UK) diet and lifestyle is shit from a long term health point of view. And that a move to a much more vegan diet with a moderate amount of aerobic exercise will greatly improve our chances of living in good health for longer.

I think that this a very important aspect of our lives. Nothing is more valuable than our good health.

It's also an area where I'd prefer not to be too preachy, because
(a) that would make me a great big hypocrite
(b) I'd like to respect the right of every other adult to shove whatever food they want into our mouths

One thing with reading a book like How Not To Die is that I don't know enough about the subject to state whether the book is giving good sound advice or whether it stretches the vegan argument too far?

Do we have any nutritonal experts on this forum that could comment on this?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: How Not To Die

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Its all a Image

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Nobody is an expert in this and those that say they are are charlatens. There are two many variables not enough isolated raw data and two little causal understanding.

Most of the conclusions are premised upon naive corralations

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

If you watched the very informative Horizon programme a couple of weeks ago (might still be on iPlayer) "Clean Eating, The Dirty Truth." You would see that a very small amount of scientific fact has been stretched in all directions to justify various agendas.

The author of the China Study (which in some ways is the basis for much of this) admitted that he had shown that increasing the amount of fruit and veg and reducing meat (from average US values, bear in mind) had a small beneficial effect on health and wellbeing, but there was NO SCIENTIFIC BASIS for his conclusion that excluding meat entirely was even better still - It was just "his belief."

(This whole subject is full of dishonest quackery which might seem familiar to people with interests in other areas such as HiFi.)

Now sustainability of the food supply on a planet with reducing resources and a burgeoning population is another matter - but that is not the object of this discussion!

For what it's worth my advice is to be conscious of red and processed meat consumption (but by no means give it up,) eat more veg and fruit and try to add seeds and nuts into your diet if you don't currently eat them and all should be well.

Oh yeah, and drink less alcohol.....
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I would have thought a better question is "How To Live?", if the only point of life is to avoid dying, then that’s not that much of a reason to be IMHO.
These users thanked the author Lurcher300b for the post:
NSNO2021 (Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:58 am)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Or just drink as much alcohol as you can then you don't care when you die, as long as you die drunk. :think: Hmmm could solve the population problem, perhaps the Russians have it right. The only country in the world you can get alcohol (Vodka) on prescription :whistle:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

CycleCoach wrote:If you watched the very informative Horizon programme a couple of weeks ago (might still be on iPlayer) "Clean Eating, The Dirty Truth." You would see that a very small amount of scientific fact has been stretched in all directions to justify various agendas.

The author of the China Study (which in some ways is the basis for much of this) admitted that he had shown that increasing the amount of fruit and veg and reducing meat (from average US values, bear in mind) had a small beneficial effect on health and wellbeing, but there was NO SCIENTIFIC BASIS for his conclusion that excluding meat entirely was even better still - It was just "his belief."
Beat me to it. Try this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bhd29
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Oh yeah, and drink less alcohol..... How am I ever going to get through the day. ........ hic :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Lurcher300b wrote:I would have thought a better question is "How To Live?", if the only point of life is to avoid dying, then that’s not that much of a reason to be IMHO.
That right there is the gist.

We're all living now and should enjoy it for what it is. Do a little exercise at something you like, eat a bit better but don't avoid the things that you enjoy, and have a few drinks if you want to.

And no matter what you do you'll go in the end, so make sure there's some fun on the way!
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Nobody is an expert in this and those that say they are are charlatens. There are two many variables not enough isolated raw data and two little causal understanding.

Most of the conclusions are premised upon naive corralations
Have you read the book?