Richard Dunn - what a nice handsome young man

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Richard Dunn - what a nice handsome young man

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

:mrgreen: There has been talk here and at Audio Talk of creating a thread where I can be the subject. So here it is :mrgreen:

C'mon Bigman, show us how big and strong you are. :whistle:

:epopc:

EDIT 17/08/2017 10:27

Lindsay correctly says this post below in the AoS thread is applicable here, so the limits of personal comments are known.

Re: AoS

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:28 pm

The desire seems to be for *me*, I think it stops at me. If anyone doesn't want one that appears I will remove it. But this one serves a purpose, it will attract lots of new members (mostly undesirable) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But they should note that snakeoilaudio type posts will be removed for smut and libel. Genuine beefs preferred not just gratuitous insult about how I look or dress or that level of stupidity - there will be limits.

Wouldn't it be nice for Marco to join and let rip - entertainment all round :lol:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Richard Dunn - what a nice handsome young man

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Well Richard, I know that you are older than I am so I can't support the idea of you being a young man :grin:

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I don't know if you remember Richard, but we did cross swords many years ago on PFM.

However, since those bad old days I've taken your no nonsense web personality and simply love the fruits of your knowledge when I sit down to a session of evening /late night music- top man!

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I am not here for praise

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

:grin: So you've started this thread, after all. :lol:

Let's see if it takes the wind out of the sails of the people that have been criticising you on Audio Talk?

They are quite welcome to come on here and post their thoughts on you, if they wish. Let's see if this thread siphons off some of the off-topic stuff we've been seeing over there? Let's see if anyone has the courage to come and criticise you here.

What I will say is that I have respect for Richard Dunn. Respect for his ability to hear the sonic differences between equipment at bake-offs - more quickly than I can. It'd be fair comment to describe him as golden eared. Respect for him reporting the results of bake-offs in an honest manner.
Respect for his knowledge and experience in the world of hi-fi including his ability to find good sounding used items for very little money. Respect for his ability to make and sell good value for money equipment.

Of course, nobody's perfect. But I'm not going to criticise him here now as that would be nit-picking and overly negative. And I'm quite happy to leave the criticism up to other people - if they think they can say something constructive...

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:30 pm I am not here for praise

If the cap fits, wear it! :lol:

:guiness;
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Eric Shun
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Eric Shun »

Best I make use of this decent 3G signal whilst I can.

The Doc/Richard/RD/Dickie, well, his web persona does him no favours whatsoever and the way he speaks, both to members here and other formites elsewhere (where he isn't banned) leaves a lot to be desired. Simple niceties would improve his online image no end, but he's too long in the tooth to change, which is sad because in real life (yes, I have met him just the once) he is engaging and knowledgeable. Its a shame that he's perceived as the Herman Goering HiFi Tank Division. Far too much Blitzkrieg.

But as I tried to point out to Biggy elsewhere on HFS, he is passionate about the business, the way we are ripped off and as has been proved recently, his kit is incredibly good value too. He should be judged on the later, not the razor sharp soundbites which seem to feed the detractors and trolls on other forums.

I've seen him compared to Marmite and I happen to like Marmite :)

Now where is my tin hat? Shit, I've left it at home. Bugger! (looks for tin hat smiley, but can't seem to find one)
"Nobody flounces better, makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody flounces half as good as you, BigBottyFlouncy, you're the best"
:clap:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I can't effin' stand marmite, but that doesn't mean I regard the Doc alongside Marmite in any way. Apart from audio matters, where I deeply respect the willingness to try something different and achieving great sonic results that go against the grain for other big businesses that need consistency and profit first, I respect the fact that the Doc is the same to one's face as he is online - being two-faced, patronising and so on has NEVER been part of the agenda, unlike another manufacturer or two I can think of that I've crossed swords with in the past - and Marco's a pussy-cat in comparison with one individual I've known for a long time...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jayman67
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

right tin hat on......
after ian and i cancelled our little get together to hear some phono stages richard contact us a few days later to say if we still wanted to hear his ones he would bring them down to ian's place.

due to a cock up the phono stages were for mc and not mm cartridges so we didn't get to hear them, he has since converted them over for mm and is sending them back down.

he was with us from 11am to 9pm and both ian and myself didnt know what to expect lol
we both found him pleasant,friendly and in fact nothing like the man on the internet,we enjoyed chatting to him about his varied history in hifi etc and both agreed what a great day we'd had. you are welcome back anytime!

who would have thought it! :)

best wishes,
jamie.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.