Richard Dunn - what a nice handsome young man

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Richard Dunn - what a nice handsome young man

Unread post by CN211276 »

First and foremost I see RD as a designer and manufacturer of top class hi-fi. Equally important, it is sold at sensible prices with a 30 day return option. There is no substitute to assessing equipment in your listening room. I love rock music and the difference between what I am hearing now and what I was before I discovered NVA goes beyond night and day. For this I will be eternally grateful, recently retired I am having more listening time. The Cube 3s have been ordered and if semi-omnidirectional floats my boat ,my system will be all NVA bar the sources.

His website is a breath of fresh air because it is not controlled by agendas, which can be difficult to initially detect. It performs the role of exposing what is wrong in a rip off industry which has been rotten to the core since the Glasgow mafia came on to the scene. I have no qualms about his all guns blazing approach in exposing what goes on. However, some of his posts to those who are on his side could be a bit more considered.

RD has great knowledge and the NVA design principles make sense to me. Things should be kept as simple as possible.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

A previously banned member has just been removed again.

I am afraid there are a few of them queuing, we are in for some daftness. But I suppose it is my fault for starting this thread. There will be some very short lived posts.

The snakeoilaudio crowd have been doing it at Audio Talk, Nick is now giving them short shift so they will try here.

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

That's fine. Disagreement is both tolerable and acceptable.

However... I have been dealing with RD for close-on 35 years. In that time he has been obdurate, infuriating and sometimes plain rude. Notwithstanding this I now have a system whereby when I arrive home, I switch on and spend the next few hours in bliss. I have very eclectic tastes, but the NVA have never been found wanting. Despite his flaws which are many and all too similar to mine own, RD makes great kit, designs and builds same, plus offers a support stream which is (in my opinion) unmatched. I don't know if I like RD as I have never met him, but I do respect him, his integrity and his product. If anyone does not, not, not... then fine. I am VERY happy with my choice of supplier.

Kind regards, Derek Angelis
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Never met Richard, and likely never will.

His communication here on the internet is efficient and informative. He's a bit argumentative at times, but I can forgive that. As I myself, can be the same sometimes.

Sometimes I forget that Richard is 70. In my mind he is younger.

I don't value all of his products, only some of them. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The AP10H is fab, along with most of his cables.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Bigman80

Unread post by Bigman80 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:39 pm :mrgreen: There has been talk here and at Audio Talk of creating a thread where I can be the subject. So here it is :mrgreen:

C'mon Bigman, show us how big and strong you are. :whistle:
Why am I being invited to join in with an ego boosting session?

I have no opinion on you (the man) personally other than what I said about meeting you at the Bakeoff. You are very confident in your opinion and demonstrated your equipment which I though was very good.

The "Doctor Bunsen Honeydew" character that frequents this and other forums is a cancerous growth which feeds off the enjoyment of inflicting ridicule and cheap shots on anyone who pops up on his "internet police" radar. The self professed exposer of the truth, merely revels in trying to destroy the characters and reputation of those who have experienced failure in their life by persistently dredging up possible alcohol dependency issues and laughs along with his groupies who follow his lead. He is nothing short of a ring leader for those too meek to have an opinion of their own. He singles out a victim and then decided to attack them liabelously, without evidence. His opinion is the only justification he needs. When said character isn't doing this, he can impart some wisdom on the masses. Items such as - definitions of amplifier classes and speaker placement have been informative to read and very enjoyable. If only the Dr Bunsen Honeydew could behave like that consistently! I believe the motives of the character as placed with good intentions or were, but the methods used are cowardly and unforgivable. It's akin to bullying.

"When one, who does not confirm to the bullies ideals, he is then singled out for humiliation and vocal or physical attack"

Bullying.

I have met Richard, the man. He was inoffensive and quite entertaining in a way.

If I were to meet Dr Bunsen Honeydew, it would be a very enjoyable affair. For me anyway.

This is the case with most bullies. Give it the big talk when they are safe with their mates (or behind a keyboard)

They shut the fuck up when they're on their own. That's pretty much how it went at the bakeoff. You had a chance to see how big and strong I am.

You did nothing. You said nothing.

End of.

Eric Shun

Unread post by Eric Shun »

Bigman80 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:51 amWhy am I being invited to join in with an ego boosting session?
Have you actually bothered to read all of this thread Biggy? Perhaps if you did, you'd like to rethink your comment about this being anywhere near an ego boosting session or Doc lovefest. :naughty:

The thing is Biggy, many of the people have posted negative comments on the way the Doc's internet persona comes across, but they also have an understanding as to why he is like he is. I've tried to tell you that in more than one thread, but for whatever reason, the penny still doesn't want to drop drop. You seem intelligent enough, but I do wonder if you really have the appetite to see the bigger picture? Perhaps any admission would damage your perceived standing on the Art of Smut? Who knows. But you do yourself no favours, which, if you are as genuine as you keep trying to make out, is rather sad.
"Nobody flounces better, makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody flounces half as good as you, BigBottyFlouncy, you're the best"
:clap:

hillsanddalesrover

Unread post by hillsanddalesrover »

Bigman80 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:51 am

I have met Richard, the man. He was inoffensive and quite entertaining in a way.

If I were to meet Dr Bunsen Honeydew, it would be a very enjoyable affair. For me anyway.

This is the case with most bullies. Give it the big talk when they are safe with their mates (or behind a keyboard)

They shut the fuck up when they're on their own. That's pretty much how it went at the bakeoff. You had a chance to see how big and strong I am.

You did nothing. You said nothing.

End of.
Same with Marco on the one occasion I was at a venue with him.

Richard responds to bullies with more bullying, still makes him a bully. :(

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

kimangelis wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:32 pm That's fine. Disagreement is both tolerable and acceptable.

However... I have been dealing with RD for close-on 35 years. In that time he has been obdurate, infuriating and sometimes plain rude. Notwithstanding this I now have a system whereby when I arrive home, I switch on and spend the next few hours in bliss. I have very eclectic tastes, but the NVA have never been found wanting. Despite his flaws which are many and all too similar to mine own, RD makes great kit, designs and builds same, plus offers a support stream which is (in my opinion) unmatched. I don't know if I like RD as I have never met him, but I do respect him, his integrity and his product. If anyone does not, not, not... then fine. I am VERY happy with my choice of supplier.

Kind regards, Derek Angelis
My experience with Richard Dunn / The Doc / NVA is comparable to the above. I discovered NVA in the mid-80's and found an amp that would sound wonderful with Bach as well as The Stranglers and everything in between. I've heard many amplification systems in the intervening time but NONE that have allowed me to enjoy the music as much as my trusty P50/A40 (firstly Stereo Mk1, now Mk2 monoblocks).

Even back then, NVA were extremely good on customer service (amp repaired free of charge when a faulty speaker coil shorted it out). I heard the early prototype Cube speakers as well, which left an indelible memory of a uniquely musical presentation. I was very saddened that NVA ceased business in the 90's as it was one of the few operations that appeared to be standing up to the Flat Earth axis powers.

Knowing this little bit of history and how Richard was treated as a dangerous irritation by certain Naims - his desire to 'clean up' the Hifi industry is understandable. Greed and power are not the ingredients needed to give pleasure to the average hobbyist who just wants to enjoy his music.

The Doc is a gifted (genius? why not?) designer/builder of audio equipment. His designs are based on a lifetime of listening and working to reduce the distance between performer and audience.

The Home Page on HFS should just be replaced by a big banner saying 'NO TIME WASTERS' as life is too short (and precious) to expend useless energy on those who need to display their insecure ego's by annoying others.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

joe

Unread post by joe »

Or you could just put 'sycophants only need apply'.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

More like 'Music lovers only'.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ