Holidays....yay

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Re: Holidays....yay

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

Thank you for the wishes. I was to Albania four times before. Meanwhile we have friends there and I'm invited to a big birthday party in Shkoder. Its history is very strange and violent. The Yugoslavians helped the Albanians to throw out the Germans. But when Tito tried to adapt the country to Yugoslavia as an agrarian part, Enver Hodza didn't agree and let all the partizans settled in Albania kill. He turned towards Stalin then but quit that connection after Stalin's dead and murdered half of his politburo who wanted to stay with the Soviet Union. Now turned towards China till Mao's dead and afterwards quitted that connection. From 1976 on the country was completely isolated in the world. In 1967 Albania claimed itself to be the first atheists state in world which means that the Christian and Muslim clergy was killed. The population suffered from nearly everything. Hodza was paranoid so covered the whole country with bunkers. In 1990 the people overthrew the government and it turned to be a democratic state. In 1997 there were rumors again because the people lost all their money through rip-off investments. The government was overthrown again and the military bases were plundered. Now nearly everybody had a Kalashnikov under his bed and there were thousands of dead through shootings. Hard to survive the national museum in Tirana without tears in yours eyes. Now it's a very friendly country with wonderful people, amazing landscapes and delicious food. The drive from Belgrade down to Albania through the mountains of Montenegro is an amazing thing, too. Looking forward that trip.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Back from a short break in Dublin. Went to the castle and the local coast line which is quite scenic. We also visited a year ago as my step daughter is part of the Brexit brain drain. It was a no brainer as her Irish fiance is a teacher and was uncertain about his future status in the UK amidst all this madness.

We will be off to Kenya for a lot longer next month where it will be a lot warmer. :grin:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Just got back from a week in Cyprus. First time i have been. I enjoyed it very much. The weather was glorious, hardly a cloud all week and 26 to 28 deg C :dance:

The locals were saying it was unusually hot for beginning of Nov and there has not been nearly as much rain as expected. On the way to Pathos airport to come home we saw helicopters collecting water from the sea and taking it in land.

Bought a novel for the trip home which is factually based about the troubles on the island in 1974 called The Aphrodite Plot. It's really good :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Recently returned from three and a half weeks in Kenya. We go there most years as we have family and a business interest. Split the time between Nairobi and Diani Beach. Two totally differen climates. It is always hot and sticky on the coasr with Nairobi a lot cooler because of the altitude. Chose October because it is traditionally the best month for weather and dry. The climate seems to be changing as we had rain in both locations, but it did not inconvenience us too much and there were a lot of nice days. Nairobi is usually warmer at this time of the year though.

Since retiring two years ago we have been away a lot with two lengthy winter stays in Malta. It felt like the shakles being lifted after decades of leave restrictions. 8-) Intend to spend time at home now with no holiday plans until April and May. Was on six flights in as many weeks and am fed up with airports and all the security. :angry-screaming:
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Would seem that my previous post has rebounded back on me. :lol: How things can change. We would have been on our way to Lanzarote now to spend a week with the family having booked a villa for ten with a pool. It looks like our only contact will be by video link for some time. In the process of getting our money back but it is taking time with Ryanair iswamped with cancelations. Don't expect anything back for the fijords cruise next month as it was free as part of the compensation for the ill fated one last year.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I was due to fly out on 30/3, but had to cancel, this bloody coronavis. :angry-steamingears:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

antonio66 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:56 am I was due to fly out on 30/3, but had to cancel, this bloody coronavis. :angry-steamingears:
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
antonio66 (Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:44 pm) • CN211276 (Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:18 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

A friend of mine went to Tenerife early last month and had an extended stay with the hotel in lockdown. I am really glad we packed so much in since I retired nearly three years ago. Can't see us going anywhere now until there is a vaccine, unless it is Antarctica. :lol:
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well I'll be off asp, unfortunately still no sign of airlines flying again.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I usually manage a week away with a friend or two in June, and a week or two away with offspring in late August / early September. June is obviously lost but I wonder if it's worth paying a nominal deposit to secure the option on a later trip. Probably being way too optimistic.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/