Brexit

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Re: Brexit

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:13 pm It is built into British Law from way before the CM or EU that there is freedom of movement in GB, all GB inc Ireland which is a part of the GB (that is what GB means, the greater [ALL] parts of the islands that form Greater Britain). They are with us as not being members of the Schengen area, they are already very like us, in some ways more so than the rest of the EU.
But I thought we were talking about Norway option involving open borders which means open boarders and fee movement between the EU and UK. Norway is part of Schengen FWIW.
This is all about politics and opportunity. The Republican Irish see this as an opportunity to get a united Ireland. The other way, like the elephant in the room, is not being discussed, it is S Ireland leaves the EU and has a customs and virtually every other union apart from politics and sovereignty and a union in island of Ireland will eventually occur by default and everyone is better off.
I can't see any future where The Irish Republic would want to join the UK. And I can't see any advantage for them doing so.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There are many advantages that are taken for granted that they may lose unless they come to their senses. History can be reversed or forgotten it just requires a "day one". It all depends on the result of this saga, I was talking about a complete Brexit. AND the border should then be forgotten about no matter what happens, not being part of Schengen area means they are our filter, and they will have to perform the EU bloody nonsense with goods etc. People keep on about a hard border and us doing it, we don't need to, just leave it as it is and let them worry about it, and watch. The EU will insist on the border being closed so all the expense and the blame will have to fall on The Irish Gov, pay back for the politicking stooopidity.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

With unhelpful comments like European Council President Donald Tusk saying: "The backstop is part of the withdrawal agreement, and the withdrawal agreement is not open for renegotiation."
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47052227

I'm surprised there hasn't been a "Fuck Y' EU!" publicity / viral social media campaign.

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

It certainly was my first reaction Lindsay!
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

I'm surprised there hasn't been a "Fuck Y' EU!" publicity / viral social media campaign.
Didn't that happen in 2016?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lurcher300b wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 am
Didn't that happen in 2016?
And pretty much continuously since the early 1980s.

The EU have 1 red line: Integrity of the Single Market

And 2 major objectives: An orderly Brexit, and...money

The UK is asking the EU to break it's one red line because it would be much easier for the UK and enable Theresa May to stay in power and not break the Conservative party. Don't expect the EU to be jumping through hoops, anytime soon.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I would think more people are thinking FY EU now than 2016. The remoaners and 'peoples vote' crowd have had too much media attention. Support in Parliament minimal as proved by last night's votes. Agree Irish govt have caused all the problems and they will be the ones that get fucked if they cause a no deal. All the scare stories are completely false or at best a gross exaggeration. Can anyone really imagine that aircraft wings and medicines won't be just waved through and dealt with electronically and remotely. And yes the technology does exist to operate a borderless customs. Some of the remoaners think people are stupid or must be completely stupid themselves.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Classicrock wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:25 am And yes the technology does exist to operate a borderless customs.
And, yet, no-one can demonstrate it.
Classicrock wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:25 am Some of the remoaners think people are stupid or must be completely stupid themselves.
How intelligent...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

The country after March 2019:

"Bloody hell that car repair job' s a bit steep isn't it?" "Brexit pal"

Fuckin 'ell, how much to clean me winnders? Brexit Pal.

Ang on, my house insurance is double what it was last year. Brexit Pal, you get the drift.

"Brexit Pal" will be the excuse for everything. The slurpers, spivs, con men, hedge fund managers and pound shorters, are going to have a field day taking the piss wherever and whenever it suits them.

That's what this god forsaken country is best and has always been best at: ripping its citizens off left right and centre, especially the most vulnerable, and Brexiteers have given them carte blanche to do people over without let or hindrance. Ah, you see its Brexit.

Thanks a fooking lot.
You have the right to vote for what you want, but you have NO right; NO fecking right to drag the rest of us down with you. :x
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

...Or it could be a siege mentality. Like September 1940 all over again.

Vera Lynn top of the charts and all that.