Richard Dunn

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Richard Dunn

Unread post by terrybooth »

Nadia has asked me to tell you all that Richard has died after a short illness.

His funeral service took place yesterday at Eltham Crematorium. Nadia's wishes were that this should be kept private.

He leaves a legacy which will no doubt be described in response to this news. For me it is a legacy of music, ideas and a community which is, to some extent, embodied in this forum but those who new him in person will know there was much more.

Richard's passing, it does without saying, was not expected. However, NVA and this forum will continue. Richard had passed on a good deal of his construction knowledge to others who have been, for some time now, working with Richard to manufacture product. All existing orders are being fullfilled. A group of us are forming to work out future arrangements.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Nigel
Wales

Re: Richard Dunn

Unread post by Nigel »

So sad to read this RIP. Condolences to Nadia. Richard will never be forgotten amongst the Hi-fi community.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Sad news indeed. All my best to Nadia at this very difficult time.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Eric Shun
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Eric Shun »

Very sad news, condolences to Nadia and their close family and friends. :cry: Richard/NVA achieved more with his life than many of us could imagine and it’s good to hear that his legacy will live on
"Nobody flounces better, makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody flounces half as good as you, BigBottyFlouncy, you're the best"
:clap:

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I had already written this short tribute and it seems fitting to post it publicly.

My deepest condolances to Nadia - I hope that we here can contribute in some way to help her with her loss.

It has taken me a while to give this sad and unexpected news a place.

How Richard Dunn influenced my life ...

I was hooked on music from an early age - the earliest memories I have are hearing The Beatles on the radio. Later I began to discover more sounds along with the intriguing and mysterious world of Hifi. As an impoverished student in the 80's I saw Nene Valley Audio amplifiers for the first time and was immediately impressed by the stark, utilitarian simplicity and solidity of the design,. They just looked and felt 'right'. As soon as I could, I bought one.

This amplifier was the foundation for my musical explorations into the worlds of Pop, Rock, Jazz, Classical and all and everything in-between. Richard's amps could play any style of music and make it enjoyable, revealing the intention and energy of the performers, unfolding the subtle layers of recording and production.

There were loudspeakers as well. I was completely blown away by an early demonstration of the revolutionary Cube semi-omnidirectional design and that stayed with me as how great speakers should sound. It was 30 years later that I got hold of an abused second-hand set; with friendly help and encouragement from Richard, I was able to refurbish them myself and rediscover their magic.

I was sad to see NVA disappear from the Hifi scene in the 90's but pleasantly surprised to find them operating again as an internet direct-seller some five years ago. Joining the related HFS forum and falling-in with a group of like-minded eccentrics who all shared a passionate love of music.

Richard in direct contact was generous, friendly and helpful. As his forum alter-ego Dr Bunsen Honeydew he was outspoken, impatient and completely intolerant of fools. Refreshingly blunt. Venomously honest. You crossed him at your peril and he had the annoying habit of always being right.

Another side was his deep and penetrating spirituality. A master of Oriental energetic arts he would often surprise with insights and sensitivity.

I have learnt much from Richard on many levels and his greatest gift to me, and I believe many others, was allowing us better access to the joys of recorded music and blowing the cobwebs of commerciality away.

High Fidelity. That means a superior degree of loyalty, truthfulness and honesty. If anyone displayed those characteristics then it was certainly Richard Dunn.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Sorry to hear that, RIP

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Unread post by TheMarlin »

Utterly shocked. RIP.
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

NVA must continue somehow and speaking to others outiside of this forum community, the feeling comes across to me that the products are just right for so many music lovers who have had enough of 'HiFi' bling and harshness masquerading as 'DEEEEEtail!'

Good but sad to meet a few fellow forum bods yesterday. Hope this can be a new beginning...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

Having been unable to attend the funeral, hopefully following my PM to him, Savvy was able to pass on my condolences. If not I hope Nadia is encouraged and comforted by the messages of support.

My only contact with Richard was through the forum and via a few phone calls when I had a some issues with the kit. Richard was always extremely helpful and pleasant over the phone although one conversation did illicit an expletive over his frustration with someone else but within seconds he was over it and back on our discussion.

I recently had a problem with the in my AP70SA I PM'd Richard to ask about returning the amp to have it checked over and he immediately identified the problem from my description of the fault, he suggested that I opened the amp and if it was possible for me to repair it myself he was happy for me to do so. If not I could send it back for repair. Fortunately it was a simple job which saved me quite a bit of time and money. With hindsight this might have been due to Richard's illness but it did have the effect of making me feel that I was a valued and trusted NVA customer.

I look forward to his legacy being continued by those who have been helping him with kit building recently and will miss him on the forum.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

My Condolences to Nadia and Richard's friends and family. Glad to hear there are plans to continue NVA product. Richard will be much missed on this forum at least and in the hi-fi industry. Let's keep the flame burning by supporting HFS and NVA. We need to preserve affordable good sounding hi-fi product which is only underlined by the bling on display at shows and enormous price rises.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)