A message of support

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
BadgerBeerIsBest
Great Britain

Re: A message of support

Unread post by BadgerBeerIsBest »

You get mired down in these situations they become all enveloping trapped with a rain cloud above your head it is difficult to see a way out.
But it is only temporary the sun will rise again for you but it will shine on a different person don't carry the scars of your experience they will just get in the way of remembering the good times.
We had the worst experience a parent can have in 2012 its only the love you share with the people around you that keeps you going.
Your family is the foundation that you build the future on, it can be a long haul but things will get better.
Best wishes.
These users thanked the author BadgerBeerIsBest for the post (total 4):
karatestu (Tue May 18, 2021 5:53 am) • SteveTheShadow (Tue May 18, 2021 8:20 am) • Fretless (Tue May 18, 2021 9:39 am) • savvypaul (Tue May 18, 2021 11:17 am)
Don't gas my Badger........it's not Lager..!

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You have my admiration badger.

If it was me I'd not be sure about the future. Having spent 3 months in a coma , I can imagine the nothingness would be welcome respite.
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
BadgerBeerIsBest (Tue May 18, 2021 8:15 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I have decided to give up booze altogether forever. I am now officially old and boring. Drinking water since last Saturday when we had friends over and I embarrassed myself.

I am a proper goody two shoes now. Don't drink don't smoke what do you do ? I build and listen to aesthetically challenged, substandard sounding music replay equipment which would make my good friends over at Perfect Farming Monthly pee their XXXL panties with laughter.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Sat May 29, 2021 8:21 pm) • CycleCoach (Sat May 29, 2021 9:54 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Nowt wrong with not boozing stu, i dont drink any more other than the odd glass of wine or bottle of beer.
It got me nowhere, other than making myself look a twat on a number of occasions and going to work with a hangover pretty much every day for god knows how long was just silly.
When i fou d myself going in the pub on my own before going home after work, i had to take a long hard look at what the hell i was doing.
Since then we go to the pub very rarely, usually if there is a band on at a local (bloody virus notwithstanding) and maybe have a bottle of wine at the weekend.

Never looked back
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post (total 2):
Latteman (Sat May 29, 2021 8:21 pm) • karatestu (Sun May 30, 2021 8:38 am)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Embarrassed yourself Stu?
Never mind your drinking habits, I want know more about this. :lol:

Well done in deciding to quit the booze, the same goes for you Ant, I can remember advising you to cut down, although I think your reply was something to the effect, once you've had one, it's difficult to stop. I have to say, I no longer drink much, more an age and experience thing, but I wish you well in your efforts to at least cut down.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
karatestu (Sun May 30, 2021 8:37 am)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Well done Stu! I used to get wasted on a regular basis in the 1980s until I got run over and nearly did not make to 30.

Covid has been a very dry period until I met up with my friends at a retirement do on Thursday. :guiness; It was the first time we had met up since the thing started, now vaccinated and sat out side with table service. Needless to say we ended up totally wrecked. I think it had something to do with lower tolerance after the long lay off. I had forgotten what it is like to be hung over, until the next day. :oops:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Strange thing about the period when I was suffering from Corona and recovering from it - I developed a powerful liking for Whisky. Now, I'm not a big fan of spirits - the occasional nip when the mood takes me - but I worked my way through an assortment of bottles at, for me, a very high speed.

The last couple of months, being over the virus and after-effects, I haven't touched a drop of the stuff and have no real wish to do so. It might be related to the fact that Covid screws up your nervous system and gets into your brain; I lost my sense of smell and taste, the only thing that I could actually savour was distilled alcohol and the Whisky tasted just fine! Oddly enough I didn't seem to get particularly inebriated either.

Now I'm back to a glass of wine while I'm cooking in the evening. Beer is off the menu as I discovered that I was gluten-intolerant and the beer I like gives an unpleasant reaction. Cider is nice but getting a decent Scrumpy in The Netherlands is well-nigh impossible.

Ah well. :guiness;
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Sun May 30, 2021 8:42 am) • CN211276 (Sun May 30, 2021 10:37 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

antonio66 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:07 am Embarrassed yourself Stu?
Never mind your drinking habits, I want know more about this. :lol:

Well done in deciding to quit the booze, the same goes for you Ant, I can remember advising you to cut down, although I think your reply was something to the effect, once you've had one, it's difficult to stop. I have to say, I no longer drink much, more an age and experience thing, but I wish you well in your efforts to at least cut down.
Yeah, once I have had one I just want more more more (how do you like it) until I am numb in mind and body. Best not to bother at all I think. Got my head round it now which was the hard part.

The embarrassing moment was a tumble (just call me Mr Tumble) in front of our friends resulting in a large graze on my forehead and a lot of blood. The reaction was a mixture of laughing and shock from my friends.
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Mr tumble is a CBBC character, Luther (7 yr old) loves him. He does silly things as well😉
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
karatestu (Sun May 30, 2021 9:09 am)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Fretless wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:19 am

It might be related to the fact that Covid screws up your nervous system and gets into your brain; I lost my sense of smell and taste, the only thing that I could actually savour was distilled alcohol and the Whisky tasted just fine!
Reading this and in the context of the has science got it wrong thread and sensory perception I can't help but wonder if the after effects of Covid might have something to do with your change from digital to analogue after so many years?
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Fretless (Sun May 30, 2021 11:59 am)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc