Binge watching TV

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Binge watching TV

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Bencat57 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:37 pm As my wife is covid positive I have had to stay in so things have had to be watched to keep me a little amused . Waited till now so I could watch the full series of the The Foundation . My elder brother is a huge fan of the books and has been disappointed with the series. I read the books so long ago that I had forgotten most of it so just accepted the series as what it is and enjoyed it as a pretty fun Sci Fi series. Just bought and read the trilogy in hard back and can fully see why the series has to be different as the time scales in the books pass so quickly no chance to identify with any one character.

Also watched the latest Matrix film was honestly not expecting much at all but it was okay nothing like as startling as the first but still an intelligent addition .
I was pretty disappointed with Foundation, as it obviously strayed from the books, and the story just felt clunky.
I then went back and read the books, and, oh my God, they weren't that great either! (The first half of the first book starts off with an inspiring "big idea" but it's all downhill from there. Teenage me was clearly quite easy to impress.)

I hope the new Matrix offering is better than the last one. (Quite liked the first two.)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I'm binge watching The Wire.

This shit is motherfuckin' awesome,

Involuntarily talking West Baltimore to everyone I bump into in the village is a little inconvenient, tho...
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
slinger (Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:59 pm) • BillyBones (Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:02 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Foundation should have carried a warning stating "Based Upon Characters Created By Isaac Asimov".

I've been a huge Asimov fan since my teens, over 50-ish years now, and it was NOT Foundation. My mum had a phrase she used about shoddy ill-fitting clothing, which I think applies. It fits where it touches, she'd say.

Having said all that, it was big, it was glossy, there was obviously a lot of money thrown at it, and perhaps people coming to the story for the first time enjoyed it more than us curmudgeonly Asimov train-spotter-esque obsessives. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

slinger wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:59 pm Foundation should have carried a warning stating "Based Upon Characters Created By Isaac Asimov".

I've been a huge Asimov fan since my teens, over 50-ish years now, and it was NOT Foundation. My mum had a phrase she used about shoddy ill-fitting clothing, which I think applies. It fits where it touches, she'd say.

Having said all that, it was big, it was glossy, there was obviously a lot of money thrown at it, and perhaps people coming to the story for the first time enjoyed it more than us curmudgeonly Asimov train-spotter-esque obsessives. :lol:
Indeed if I had no knowledge of Asimov I would probably have loved it, as it is it was more irritating than enjoyable. I have no doubt that Wheel of Time gang are probably muchly upset about the amazon series, but as I have zero knowledge of the books I quite like it.

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

For a music doc binge on netflix check out The Long strange Trip on the Dead, Count Me In about drummers which is really good, Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue and the old Rush Doc. All great fun, but I'm afraid I really really liked the Grateful Dead one, hmmmm.
These users thanked the author Grumpytim for the post:
karatestu (Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:08 am)

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:40 pm I'm binge watching The Wire.

Involuntarily talking West Baltimore to everyone I bump into in the village is a little inconvenient, tho...
A cast iron, 100% classic. Every series is good and it doesn't run out of steam, superb TV up there with the very best.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

BillyBones wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:03 pm

A cast iron, 100% classic. Every series is good and it doesn't run out of steam, superb TV up there with the very best.
I've done 3 series in about 5 days. Like a book you can't put down...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I've binge watched Band of Brothers and Pacific for the second time. Harrowing stuff in places.
DIY FREE ZONE

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

I might have mentioned this earlier but can't remember. However the French detective series Spiral was superb, I watched all of them in about a week earlier this year on BBC iPlayer. I've found that with virtually all non English speaking shows, I stick with the original dialogue with subtitles rather than the dubbed version.

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

savvypaul wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:47 pm
BillyBones wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:03 pm

I've done 3 series in about 5 days. Like a book you can't put down...
On the basis of these recommendations, I bought all 5 series on dvd, I am onto disc 5 of series one, but I have motherfuckin awful difficulty trying to understand what the drug dealers are actully saying lol.
These users thanked the author Andy-831 for the post:
savvypaul (Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:51 pm)
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.