Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Re: Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

slinger wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:37 pm Baroness (Shami) Chakrabarti, CBE, barrister, human rights activist. ex-director of Liberty and current shadow Attorney General was on telly earlier. Her opinion is that there are probably very few people in this country who are more pro-human rights/civil rights than her, and her advice is to toe the current government line. If they say "stay indoors" then stay indoors, which sounds eminently sensible to me, and it's a view that every political party subscribes to.

Nurses, doctors, and many other 'frontline' staff are being asked to put their lives on the line daily, work incredibly long hours, and cope with not having enough PPE to go round, no testing, and having to be the sole arbiter of who lives and who dies in some cases. We're being asked to sit on the bloody sofa, listen to music, watch Netflix. read a book...
Well said Mr Slinger.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Police have wide-ranging powers to help fight coronavirus by enforcing social distancing measures. But there is an enormous gap between what the government would like people to do and the limits of the law, says BBC home affairs correspondent Dominic Casciani.

valvesRus
Great Britain

I fear that the Police are going to be inundated with people wanting a bit of freedom as the weather warms up.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

valvesRus wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:57 am I fear that the Police are going to be inundated with people wanting a bit of freedom as the weather warms up.
So, is the Government the servant of the people?

Or are the people the servants of the Government?

valvesRus
Great Britain

The people elect a Government, based on their manifesto, and the elected Government do their best to meet their commitments.

When a "national emergency" occurs, like Covid 19 we must trust said Government to do WHATEVER IS NECESSARY.

It may be in certain situations (like Brexit) that a Government with a small majority has less than 50% of the country behind it, but that is how politics is.

So, we must get behind our leaders and do whatever is necessary FOR THE COMMON GOOD, regardless of our own political beliefs.

valvesRus
Great Britain

From a personal perspective, I fully understand the Covid 19 situation, and I'm prepared to sacrifice my freedom (for as long as it takes) to get over it.

I'm complying with the spirit of the regulations and I don't necessarily need to see every single thing as a statutory law.

Do you feel the same Lindsay ?

Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:07 pm You could go out if you could see where it isn't.

Test, Test, Test.
Like any other measurement (another word for test), its only useful if

1. You know you are actually measuring what you think you are
2. Its accurate and repeatable
3. What you are measuring is of use to provide information that allows you to make decisions

True for a virus and a amplifier. No point testing for the sake of it and first you need to test your test.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lurcher300b wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:10 am
savvypaul wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:07 pm You could go out if you could see where it isn't.

Test, Test, Test.
Like any other measurement (another word for test), its only useful if

1. You know you are actually measuring what you think you are
2. Its accurate and repeatable
3. What you are measuring is of use to provide information that allows you to make decisions

True for a virus and a amplifier. No point testing for the sake of it and first you need to test your test.
Of course. That's why I said it 3 times ;)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

valvesRus wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:48 am From a personal perspective, I fully understand the Covid 19 situation, and I'm prepared to sacrifice my freedom (for as long as it takes) to get over it.

I'm complying with the spirit of the regulations and I don't necessarily need to see every single thing as a statutory law.

Do you feel the same Lindsay ?
I'm complying with the rules that are being imposed upon me by the UK Government because I am being forced / coerced to do so.

I am never comfortable when governments grab power and impose this power.

Especially when the power is ethically or legally questionable.

Looking at history, governments do not have a good track record when their attitude is more one of "The people are the servants of the government" instead of the "The government is the servant of the people."

Coronavirus is Coronavirus. Plagues and epidemics are a tragic part of living on this planet.
This epidemic will come and go. For sure it makes sense to modify our behaviour to minimise the loss of life. But should these modifications be imposed in the way the UK Government has been doing?

And even if they should, this epidemic reveals the true nature of the relationship of the people of the UK and their government.
It's not one that I'm happy with. I am not happy when the people in government treat me and everyone else as their servants / slaves / pawns to do their bidding.

I am not happy when the government creates conditions where over-zealous or corrupt officials are let off the leash.

This sacrifice for a greater cause rhetoric has been used before. For example 1914 to 1918.

Sweden is the only country in Europe where the government has taken more of a "we are the servants of the people" approach to Coronavirus.
Time will tell if this philosophy will serve them as well in this crisis as it did in the crises of 1914 and 1939...

If I were alive in 1939 and had a choice between living in the UK or Sweden, I know where I'd rather live.
Just as I know where I'd rather be living now out of Sweden and the UK.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Sweden as mass testing capability and the ability to isolate contaminated people. We dont. We are were we are.

Civil disobedience cause you dont like the policy is just about the most selfish protest there is.