Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Unread post by Lindsayt »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52011928

Is this legal?

Can the police really impose fines on citizens doing things that were previously perfectly legal?
Just on the say so of Boris Johnson?

What Act of Parliament gives the police these powers?
If there is no Act of Parliament, how can this be legal?

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Unread post by TheMarlin »

You could always purposely defy it, and report back.
The police were asked to enforce this in Italy, they’re not messing about, and if you’re in the street, expect an ambulance ride.
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

I don't care if they are legal or not. Unless you have been living under a rock and not seen the damage this virus is doing if allowed to spread quickly unchecked. Why would you even question the legality? This is to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed and being unable to cope with a huge spike of infected people all at one time causing people to die unnecessarily. Wake up man!

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

My understanding is that you’re safe from arrest until the legislation all passes (probably Thursday). Democracy and the rule of law still applies.
Tho you may find that police gently intervene before that.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52004116

Seems to be a significant majority in favour of life over liberty in this instance?
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

My understanding is also that in an uncontrolled environment, coronavirus infects on average 3 new people per case, whereas Flu’s figure is 1.4.
Please check the maths, but I think that means in 10 generations flu infects 29 new people, and covid infects 59,000.
Add to that that mortality rate for covid is reckoned to be 1% whereas flu is 0.1%, and we can see where some of the scientific, medical and government concern is coming from.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The question is not so much whether the measures are legal but whether the government has done enough to make the measures viable for people to comply with?

Where is the support for the self employed? Where is the support for businesses that dont fall into the categories that will qualify for grants and loans?

A large number will be destitute within weeks or even days. They will have no income and their only fallback will be a Universal Credit system that is already considered broken and will take 6 weeks to provide anything, probably a lot longer.

For those people, COVID-19 is not the most immediate threat to life.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Chunk McDaniel wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:10 am I don't care if they are legal or not. Unless you have been living under a rock and not seen the damage this virus is doing if allowed to spread quickly unchecked. Why would you even question the legality? This is to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed and being unable to cope with a huge spike of infected people all at one time causing people to die unnecessarily. Wake up man!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

What each person does is down to their own moral compass to some extent. Some have been doing the new measures for a while now (including myself) and we all need to do what we can.

Sod the economy, human life is much more valuable to me . As both myself and my wife are key workers we could have sent our kids to school but we have chosen not to and so they are at home and my wife is working from home. You can take the government measures even further. For example i am having no physical contact with my wife. I kiss the kids on top of their head and have a couple of cuddles a day. My hands are wrecked with all the washing.

Everybody must take this virus very seriously. It is not just the over 70's and people with underlying conditions that are getting hospitalised. If you have to go to hospital needing ICU and there are not enough ventilator's then it could be game over. Not a chance I am willing to take for myself or any of my family. My wife's parents are thankfully self isolating for a lengthy time but if they didn't then I would be round with the six inch nails to nail their doors closed.
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The Dutch govt have tightened restrictions here as people were going in masses to beaches and parks. Even holding 'Sod the Corona' parties. Fines are being imposed for any grouping larger than 3 persons, all public events have been banned until 1 june, people are expected to use their common sense in not spreading the virus unnecessarily.

In all supermarkets & DIY stores the cashiers are sitting behind plexiglass screens and cash transactions are not being accepted. Payment preferably with contactless passes or smartphones.

Next step is total lockdown.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I am lucky in that I am retired and shielded from the economic effects. On the contary I am saving a lot of money with my social life ended, holidays cancelled and an insurance claim on the way. However being stuck in the house all day every day would drive me nuts. I will continue to go for walks, permitted exercise, but will keep a two metre distance from people as most others seem to be doing.
I like to go sea fishing and this is a grey area because it can be interpreted as taking a walk and exercise. Furthermore, Cardiff foreshore has been described as the ugliest beach in the world with very restricted and limited access. When the steel works was demolished the debris was dumped there and it resembles a bomb site. There could not be many more secluded locations where you are less likely to catch the virus or pass it on. Have been looking at posts on angling forums and the general concensus is that althogh you are not going ot spread the virus an accident would have implications for the under pressure emergency services. I am therefore inclined to give it a miss until things settle down. A limited supply of bait in the freezer being a consideratiion. A shame as I have caught fish this month after a succession of blanks.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc