Brexit Deal - one of the easiest in human history?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Brexit Deal - one of the easiest in human history?

Unread post by savvypaul »

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:50 am It's easy to knock and to criticise. It's easy to be negative.

Does anyone here have a good solution to the Brexit Deal - including the Northern Ireland issues?
Bearing in mind that there's a vested interest amongst EU politicians to make it look like the UK is suffering as a result of Brexit in order to deter other nations from leaving.

I'm not going to criticise anyone when I don't have a better way of doing things.
Northern Ireland was always the circle that could not be squared.

A customs border in the Irish Sea would be the most logical solution, and simple to implement, but is unconscionable to the DUP.

Of course there is vested interested on the part of the EU, but the politicians knew that 4 and a half years ago when they were telling everyone that it would be the easiest trade deal in history. Did you think that the EU were going to roll over, weaken the integrity of the single market and incentivise others to break away?

"We hold all the cards" said one of the fuckwits.

It's a crazy situation that we are 3 months away from having no trade deal with our biggest market. Half of my Savvy Row sales go to the EU. Will they still be buying in 4 months time? Not if tariffs are imposed.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

It's not a case of being negative, when this farce of a referendum wheezed across the finish line, my first question for all the jubilant brexiteerss was great, you've won, now how are you going to execute this great leap forward? I'm still waiting for the answer 4 years on I'm still non the wiser which leads me to believe that there never was a plan, or if there was it was so bad that even Baldrick would hesitate to suggest it.
Quite frankly if you embark on a journey with no map, little in the way of victuals, and no clear idea of what you want to achieve along the way, chances are that your endeavor will fail dismally. May's and Johnson's strategy appears to be little more than stuffing letters into bottles and throwing them into the Thames in the hope that someone somewhere will answer their prayers.

This is their idea, they've maneuvered the country into this position. I think it's only fair 4 years later to ask what went wrong and why.
These users thanked the author Grumpytim for the post:
SteveTheShadow (Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:59 pm)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:50 am It's easy to knock and to criticise. It's easy to be negative.

Does anyone here have a good solution to the Brexit Deal - including the Northern Ireland issues?
Bearing in mind that there's a vested interest amongst EU politicians to make it look like the UK is suffering as a result of Brexit in order to deter other nations from leaving.

I'm not going to criticise anyone when I don't have a better way of doing things.
<just a bit of fun>
If I take my car to the garage for a service and they render it undrivable, and then tell me I need to pay for the privilege, I'm going to criticize, even though I couldn't have fixed it myself. My car was in the hands of professionals, who promised that my car would show a huge leap in performance, and cost far less to run. Furthermore, I wouldn't have to pay anymore instalments on the HP arrangement. I believed them, because they promised me that they had covered every angle, and they had an oven-ready deal to cover all of that.

My car is now a heap of loosely connected pieces of glass, plastic, wire, and metal, which they have kindly towed back and dumped in my drive.

The only better way of doing things would have been not to trust this garage, despite all of their vivid visuals and clever catchphrases.

My only solution now is to never use that garage again, but, unfortunately, it's too late for my car, and my bank balance.

Here's the thing, I did choose not to use that garage, from the outset, but my car got dragged there anyway.

"If you don't like it , fix it yourself," is the cry from the people who dragged my car to the garage, against my express wishes. The problem with that is that it's not just a service I require any more. I've now got to learn how to fix a car that's been all-but demolished.

The garage owner is still making money and pretending nothing went wrong, or it's all somebody else's fault. I've got no transport, I'm broke, and people are still telling me to fix it myself without taking into consideration all of the irreversible damage done to my car when all it actually needed was an oil-change, the wheels balancing, and the marble the last garage put in the glove compartment taking out, to cure that "funny knocking sound," I was getting.

No, I do not need to know how to fix something before I criticise the dickheads who have broken it. My better way of doing things was not to take my car to that particular garage, but I was outvoted by people who thought they knew better, and looking at the state of my poor old Ford Cortina, I still don't accept that they were.

And they all lived in poverty, homelessness, joblessness, and acrimony ever after.

The moral of this story is that just because somebody says they're a professional, it still pays to look behind the curtain before you give them anything you value, because there's an even chance that they're lying, especially if they've been sacked multiple time for... errr... lying.
</just a bit of fun>

N.B. Yes, I know that ANY analogy, let alone this one is pretty easy to poke holes in. ;)
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
SteveTheShadow (Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:44 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

slinger wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:35 pm

<just a bit of fun>
If I take my car to the garage for a service and they render it undrivable, and then tell me I need to pay for the privilege, I'm going to criticize, even though I couldn't have fixed it myself. My car was in the hands of professionals, who promised that my car would show a huge leap in performance, and cost far less to run. Furthermore, I wouldn't have to pay anymore instalments on the HP arrangement. I believed them, because they promised me that they had covered every angle, and they had an oven-ready deal to cover all of that.

My car is now a heap of loosely connected pieces of glass, plastic, wire, and metal, which they have kindly towed back and dumped in my drive.

The only better way of doing things would have been not to trust this garage, despite all of their vivid visuals and clever catchphrases.

My only solution now is to never use that garage again, but, unfortunately, it's too late for my car, and my bank balance.

Here's the thing, I did choose not to use that garage, from the outset, but my car got dragged there anyway.

"If you don't like it , fix it yourself," is the cry from the people who dragged my car to the garage, against my express wishes. The problem with that is that it's not just a service I require any more. I've now got to learn how to fix a car that's been all-but demolished.

The garage owner is still making money and pretending nothing went wrong, or it's all somebody else's fault. I've got no transport, I'm broke, and people are still telling me to fix it myself without taking into consideration all of the irreversible damage done to my car when all it actually needed was an oil-change, the wheels balancing, and the marble the last garage put in the glove compartment taking out, to cure that "funny knocking sound," I was getting.

No, I do not need to know how to fix something before I criticise the dickheads who have broken it. My better way of doing things was not to take my car to that particular garage, but I was outvoted by people who thought they knew better, and looking at the state of my poor old Ford Cortina, I still don't accept that they were.

And they all lived in poverty, homelessness, joblessness, and acrimony ever after.

The moral of this story is that just because somebody says they're a professional, it still pays to look behind the curtain before you give them anything you value, because there's an even chance that they're lying, especially if they've been sacked multiple time for... errr... lying.
</just a bit of fun>

N.B. Yes, I know that ANY analogy, let alone this one is pretty easy to poke holes in. ;)
For your analogy.

Last December there were only 2 possible "garages" to take your "car" to.
Not only that, but DIY was not an option.

What we have here in this thread is a lot of moaning about 1 garage, when it's highly debatable as to whether the other garage would have been any better or not.

Each "Garage" is more similar than dissimilar.

What we have is a fait accompli. Brexit was voted for in the Referendum. And Brexit is going to happen. There's nothing we can do or say on this forum that will affect the outcome.
Moaning here about what Boris Johnson's Government is or isn't doing about Brexit is as futile as King Canute sitting on a beach and telling the tide not to come in.

The tide will come in. The Brexit process will be completed. There's nothing that anyone on this forum can do to affect what will happen.

It's up to each person if they want to accept the things in life that they can't control. Or whether they want to rail against them.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

There is a simple solution, common sense and logic. This country is going to take its biggest economic hit since the Second World War because of Covid, why make things worse. Cancel Brexit and stay in the EU. This would be welcomed by the majority now.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Grumpytim
Columbia

CN211276 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:32 pm There is a simple solution, common sense and logic. This country is going to take its biggest economic hit since the Second World War because of Covid, why make things worse. Cancel Brexit and stay in the EU. This would be welcomed by the majority now.
But apparently we're not allowed to moan because the peepul have spoken, and thus this must be the right outcome.

Economically I 'should' be OK whatever the outcome is. The tragedy is that the peepul that voted for it will by and large be the ones left rummaging around for jobs casting their piggy little eyes around desperately seeking the next scapegoat to blame for their self inflicted wounds.

Truth be told I'd rather not be saying 'told you so' and saying, gosh I hadn't seen that this would be a benefit to the country, however I'm struggling to see what the benefits if any are at this point.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I think it is more a case of the peeple who voted for this madness not suffering the worst effects. I think younger people largely voted remain and they will also be paying off the huge national debt resulting from the pandemic for decades to come when a large proportion of the idiots who voted leave will be pushing up dasies.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Brexit is happening and it definitely shouldn't be cancelled - but the consequences must be owned.

In my opinion, the only good thing about it is that Johnson & Gove will be toast within the next 3 years.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Grumpytim
Columbia

Probably true, which was why I was surprised at how many young city workers (in my office) voted leave. even though they had in terms of their jobs imitated turkeys voting for xmas if you look at how the city has shifted to either Dublin, Paris, Brussels or German city of choice.
Anyway it's time for tea, well Bishops Finger now :guiness; so enough of me talking :Bllocks:
These users thanked the author Grumpytim for the post:
savvypaul (Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:50 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Bishops finger ? Yum yum.
DIY FREE ZONE