Brexit Benefits -the sunny uplands

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Lordie82360now
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Brexit Benefits -the sunny uplands

Unread post by Lordie82360now »

Last thing I saw Sunderland had 43k tickets allocated - hopefully more if Wycombe can’t sell their allocation.
My wife who is a Makem will be shouting at the TV willing the lads.
Go Sunlan!
These users thanked the author Lordie82360now for the post:
savvypaul (Thu May 19, 2022 2:58 pm)
Digital Source: Bluesound Node with PD Creative psu upgrade, Allo Digione/rpi4b/ifi iPower PSU/Volumio, Crucial and Samsung USB SSD, iPad 10th Gen 64mg, iPhone 8.
Amplifier: Arcam AS20.
Interconnects: NVA SSP mk ii Digital and Audioquest Carbon Optical.
Speakers: Quad S2 with NVA LS1.
Headphones: Bayer DT770 Pro LE.

Lordie82360now
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Lordie82360now »

Me as well!
Digital Source: Bluesound Node with PD Creative psu upgrade, Allo Digione/rpi4b/ifi iPower PSU/Volumio, Crucial and Samsung USB SSD, iPad 10th Gen 64mg, iPhone 8.
Amplifier: Arcam AS20.
Interconnects: NVA SSP mk ii Digital and Audioquest Carbon Optical.
Speakers: Quad S2 with NVA LS1.
Headphones: Bayer DT770 Pro LE.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

savvypaul wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:52 am I'm taking my youngest down to London for the League One play-off, this weekend. Staying at the Hilton in Euston Square...they messaged me a couple of days ago to say that they don't have the 'resources' to do breakfasts at weekends, for the foreseeable future.
We managed to get breakfast at the Premier Inn, it was the evening meal which was the problem. Had to wait an hour and when it arrived what I had ordered and paid for had ran out. Complained and got a refund. Went to the near by McDonald's on another evening.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

NSNO2021 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:07 am

Of course there are pro's & cons to every decision but for decades the very wealthy media owners have focussed exclusively on the negative aspects of the EU without any mention of the positives and that is in part is why I think change might be be further away than I would like.
Sad but true. Too many people choose to believe the :Bllocks: fed to them by the rage than the reality staring them in the face.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
CycleCoach (Thu May 19, 2022 3:19 pm)
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Even though I am a lifelong Everton fan my best mate is a lifelong Sunderland fan so we will both giving the Black Cats our full backing come Saturday afternoon. As for my lot, well they are the footballing equivalent of Brexit :-(
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I fear nothing will change until there is some sort of positive action, a la the Poll Tax riots. Sadly, the corrupt bastards in government have made punishing protestors so much easier, and more vicious, that such a groundswell in feelings might be strangled at birth, with the threat of prison held over the heads of anyone who so much as organises, or even attends, a protest.

I honestly don't know what to do. I'm loath to recommend a course of action I wouldn't be prepared to take myself, and at my age and with my health issues, that precludes most things, sadly.

Youth needs to rise up again, but "youth" is so fucking apathetic and politically ignorant in the main these days that I cannot see it happening. Unfortunately, this paves the way for the shouty right-wing organisers who, much like Johnson & co., pummel people with their easily-digestible slogans, and soft targets, like "immigrants," They, of course, are in the pay of people like Murdoch who have found ways of monetising the right.

What about Toot-Toot Tiny Tommy Ten-Names? Who funds him, and his ilk? He hasn't got a job, but he's got a big house, now transferred into his ex-wife's name to avoid it being sold to pay the £100K in damages he owes Jamal Hijazi, who he libelled.

He also owes an estimated £1.5m in costs to Jamal’s legal team.

So, who's been funding him?

A Philadelphia-based think tank, the Middle East Forum (MEF), acknowledges it has spent about $60,000 (£47,000) on Robinson’s legal fees and demonstrations staged in London earlier this year. A senior MEF executive has been closely involved in preparations for this weekend’s march, though the think tank said she was there in a personal capacity.

A US tech billionaire, Robert Shillman, financed a fellowship that helped pay for Robinson to be employed in 2017 by a rightwing Canadian media website, the Rebel Media, on a salary of about £5,000 a month.

A small Australian right-wing group, Australian Liberty Alliance, says it has helped fund Robinson, but did not disclose how much.

A New York City-based think tank, the Gatestone Institute, has published a succession of articles supporting Robinson’s cause.
The David Horowitz Freedom Center (DHFC), a California-based think tank that describes itself as a “school for political warfare”, has published a series of pieces defending Robinson, and has lobbied for him to address US politicians.

Robinson, in the meantime, stuffs as much of his income as he can straight up his nose (allegedly) and begs for even more money from his gullible supporters whilst declaring bankruptcy.

These are the people who "care" about our country and its future. NOT ONE FUCKING IOTA.

Until they are booted into touch we will never fight back, because they are the very people we need to fight back against.

Sad to say, it's all too easy for the far-right fat cats to keep ignorant Nazi wannabees fed with just enough lies to further their own ideals, and fill their own wallets by keeping legitimate protests down.

Still, Jeremy Corbyn, eh? What a bastard. He's to blame for everything that Keir (has anyone seen my blue tie) Starmer fucks up, and is still living, rent-free, inside the heads of Conservatives everywhere as a sort of Grandfatherly bête noire.

All because he genuinely did want to improve our lot, but in a way that the bankers and businessmen couldn't see a way of making a profit out of. Virtually every major political decision that is taken in our country, and most other countries, revolves around money, how to make money, how to make MORE money, and how to hold on to money. Zero fucks are given about anyone who qualifies as "them" to the establishment's "us".

Sorry, as usual, this has turned into a sort of cluster bomb rather than a surgical strike. I'll go and have a bit of a lie down now. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

In fifty years, Johnson, Trump, Putin, Erdogan, Bolsonaro, and the rest will be dead, as will we. The planet may be irradiated, but it will recover. The universe does not give a monkeys about Brexit or whether we survive as a species or not. The older I get the more absurd everything becomes. Why for example, do people watch other people dancing around and singing about kitchens then want a new kitchen? Fecking insanity.

When the reaper comes, there ain’t no such thing as class and privilege and that’s what these arseholes completely fail to realise.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

And furthermore as Bernard Levin would have said:
There are 7 billion people on this planet, all being manipulated by and dictated to by a few dozen psychopathic knobheads. It’s collective insanity in my view. The other 6 billion, nine hundred etc, humans need to take a good, long, hard, look in the mirror and ask themselves why this state of affairs is being allowed to continue. Are we really that unconscious as a species, because if we are and remain so, the destruction of our civilisation is the only reasonable outcome.
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post:
NSNO2021 (Thu May 19, 2022 7:32 pm)
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

savvypaul wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:52 am Staying at the Hilton in Euston Square...they messaged me a couple of days ago to say that they don't have the 'resources' to do breakfasts at weekends, for the foreseeable future.
As this is likely to be a problem nation wide would you know of any hotels in Newcastle close to a McDonald's or Wetherspoons? Will be going to Newcastle for a 60th birthday bash in October and this will need to be a consideration.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

If my experience of yesterday is anything to go by one of the biggest supporters of Brexit, Tim Wetherspoon, is being hit in the pocket. :lol: There was only one person serving at the bar lunch time in his large Chepstow pub and the wait was intolerable. The place was packed as it was a glorious day and racing. We took our business elsewhere after the racing.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc