How environmentally friendly are you

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

How environmentally friendly are you

Unread post by karatestu »

This is not intended to make anyone feel bad :evil: but you might do at the end of it.

It's a modern disease. Over consumption, keeping up with the Jones', generally not giving a fook. Before anyone says I am preaching here, I am guilty of it at times but I try hard not to.

I lead a very frugal existence mainly because that is the way I was brought up plus I'm from Yorkshire and a Farner (of sorts) :grin: . My big thing is recycling and sprucing things up that others would throw out. I try not to buy things for the sake of it. I don't see the point in replacing things if they still work well. I think many that post here may be the same to some extent as this forum is mostly full of tight arsed people like me - let's be honest, NVA is the bargain of the century.

My cars are all old and you may say uneconomical. I don't drive many miles, all trips are scrutinised as regards their importance and whether I can do other stuff on route. I am not sure scrapping old vehicles makes sense considering what it takes to make a new one. My Daihatsu Fourtrak is 24 years old this year and still going strong. Never let me down. This is a working vehicle that goes in to 4wd most days. Unlike the Chelsea tractors that give 4wds a bad name. I very much doubt there will be electric off roaders in 10 years time but I will do my best to keep mine going until then.

Image means nothing much to me, I couldn't give the smallest of shits. You sometimes hear of scruffy old people who die who look poor to the outside world but turn out to be millionaires when they die. That's gonna be me :lol: Image seems to mean so much to some people. One guy I know lives in a very modest home and drives a very expensive car. When asked about it he replied that nobody sees him in his house. Didn't make much effort with him after that.

What's that got to do with environmental damage you ask. Well image brings over consumption . Money brings over consumption. Selfishness is everywhere.

Nothing will change until climate change, species extinction makes us humans realise that it will effect US, not our children's children's children but us. Government policy will be the only thing that can bring change because that will force it.

Keep your hifi switched on all the time ? Think again :angry-fire:
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: How environmentally friendly are you

Unread post by CN211276 »

I have been the most environmentaly friendly for the last year in my whole life. Have not been on a bus, train, plain or ship and have hardly driven. Also been the most bored. :lol:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:00 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Criticising individual behaviour regarding climate change is futile and diversionary. World governments will decide if meaningful progress is to be made within the necessary timescales.

What car you drive, how OCD you are over your rubbish, how long you keep your hifi switched on? Small beer in the big scheme of things...but a convenient diversion from the failings of world leaders.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I don't think I'm too bad, and haven't been for a number of years. Always try and recycle as much as possible and tend to live a fairly simple life. Sometimes I ask myself why, since many of the big concerns don't give a rats ass for the climate. A recent stand-out for me was two English football teams had to play in a final, it had already be scheduled in some far away Eastern European country at a place no one had heard of and was not easy to get there. Nobody says, "Right let's do the sensible thing and re-arrange this game to a neutral ground in England", no all the fans have to fly 3000 miles then busses to where the game was played. F--k me, the government should have stepped in and told the UEFA or whoever was in charge, don't be so petty, let's get the game on in England and try and save the fans money and the environment.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post (total 2):
Firebug1 (Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:24 am) • savvypaul (Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:15 am)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Climate change: Jet fuel from waste 'dramatically lowers' emissions...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56408603
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/