Eye of newt and toe of frog - a curse on Microsoft ...

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Eye of newt and toe of frog - a curse on Microsoft ...

Unread post by slinger »

I couldn't resist

Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

A quick look suggests my 18 month old Windozy tablet "might" run Windows 11, if it won't I'll just have to stay with 10 or, finally, ditch Windows altogether.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

To be honest, Geoff, I wouldn't touch Windows 11 straight "out of the box" anyway. I'll probably give it 9 months to a year to get the major bugs and user horror stories out of the way, and then I might think about running it.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

I wish they kept XP great with my CADCAM programs, Window 7 was shit and Window 10 is to big eat to much hard drive, so I suspect Window 11 still want to much personal crap. So not going to jump on that wagon.
Tried Linux and it was far to complex, and Apple was always crashing with my programs I need to work with, go back to XP please Microcrap.

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

Wonfor14 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:41 pm I wish they kept XP great with my CADCAM programs, Window 7 was shit and Window 10 is to big eat to much hard drive, so I suspect Window 11 still want to much personal crap. So not going to jump on that wagon.
Tried Linux and it was far to complex, and Apple was always crashing with my programs I need to work with, go back to XP please Microcrap.
Backwards compatibility ensures that systems will tend to become more complex, not less. Wine will now do a fine job emulating ```````XP, you just need to find a nice simple linux install you are happy with. Many are aimed at disillusioned windows escapees.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:55 pm
Wonfor14 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:41 pm I wish they kept XP great with my CADCAM programs, Window 7 was shit and Window 10 is to big eat to much hard drive, so I suspect Window 11 still want to much personal crap. So not going to jump on that wagon.
Backwards compatibility ensures that systems will tend to become more complex, not less. Wine will now do a fine job emulating ```````XP, you just need to find a nice simple linux install you are happy with. Many are aimed at disillusioned windows escapees.
I find Wine in sufficient quantity resolves all windows problems...

...more accurately they go away for a while, then I hide the Windows tablet to keep it that way.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 2):
r3xj0hn570n (Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:03 pm) • Wonfor14 (Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 am)

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

I converted an old laptop to the Chrome operating system and it's magic for anything not too complicated. :)
These users thanked the author valvesRus for the post:
Wonfor14 (Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 am)

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

valvesRus wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:59 pm I converted an old laptop to the Chrome operating system and it's magic for anything not too complicated. :)
Out of (moderate) interest how hard is it to do this? On a scale of 1 - 10 is it changing a mains plug on one of your amps, or is it one of stevetheshadows bimonthly amp redesigns and rebuilds?

I have an old laptop that is completely broken by W10, so I've nothing to lose by trying, not that I really need another device.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Well, I managed it, so it's not that difficult.

All you need is a USB flash drive and be able to read and understand the following article.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn ... your-kids/
These users thanked the author valvesRus for the post (total 2):
Grumpytim (Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:15 pm) • Wonfor14 (Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:46 am)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

That's interesting.

My personal take on Windows is that 7 is the best of the bunch. Or to put it more accurately, the least worst of the lot from the Microsoft stable.

XP is a bit too basic and not good for more modern applications. 8 and 10 have annoying interfaces. And 10 treats you like you are a complete idiot and Windows / Microsoft knows best.

It looks like Windows 11 might be set to carry on the trend of treating users like they are idiots...

The thing with Linux is that if we'd all been brought up using Linux as our first operating system, it wouldn't seem too complex. It'd be Windows that would seem awkward to use.

For servers, eg web servers or email servers, I'd now have a strong preference for a Linux server over Windows Server.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
Wonfor14 (Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:46 am)