Can the world act fast?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Can the world act fast?

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

“The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river.”

The Clash - London Calling (1979)
These users thanked the author SteveTheShadow for the post:
Grumpytim (Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:38 am)
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:16 am Can China, India, Africa, South America be persuaded that they need to do without the economic advantages that Europe and the US gained for themselves through the use of fossil fuels?
I think the question is can they find a way to get those advantages through following a 'green' approach rather than the quick fix of doing the same - so how can the existing capitalist approach which most around the world are locked into / aspire to find a way to generate the profit through this alternative approach that provides the incentive to act differently - think changing the economic system is a good aim but maybe tying it all up together is too big an issue and makes too many run scared of what it means for their personal wellbeing (primarily a lack of money)
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:16 am Can China, India, Africa, South America be persuaded that they need to do without the economic advantages that Europe and the US gained for themselves through the use of fossil fuels?
Their economic model would have to become different but it could work
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

karatestu wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:44 am

However I do not agree that this climate report can or should be ignored. It is my understanding that an awful lot of climate scientists from all over the world were involved in the production of this report. Are they all deluded or on the payroll (or both) ? Do we have people here on HFS that are more educated than them on climate matters ?
The ones who disagree with this new religion are denighed finance or silenced. I have mentioned David Bellemy. A distinguished academic who maintains human activity has had a minimal effect on climate change is Dr Robert Schoch. He is a geoligist and it is only touched upon in his books. He makes reference to the numerous other factors which have a far greater impact on climate change. It is notable that he is not dependent on government funding. I am sure I could come up with many others like him if I put in the research.

What is being kept from us is the effect all this :Bllocks: has had and is having on energy prices. Renewable and nuclear energy are expensive and the poorest are hit hardest by the cost. From an environmental stand point I am concerned that the huge Hinkley Point nuclear power station is being constructed the other side of the Bristol Channel to me. The whole area was devistated by a tsunami five hundred years ago and we all know what happened in Japan not so long back. I would be far happier if the new power station was coal fired.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Copperblue

CN211276 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:16 pm
karatestu wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:44 am

However I do not agree that this climate report can or should be ignored. It is my understanding that an awful lot of climate scientists from all over the world were involved in the production of this report. Are they all deluded or on the payroll (or both) ? Do we have people here on HFS that are more educated than them on climate matters ?
The ones who disagree with this new religion are denighed finance or silenced. I have mentioned David Bellemy. A distinguished academic who maintains human activity has had a minimal effect on climate change is Dr Robert Schoch. He is a geoligist and it is only touched upon in his books. He makes reference to the numerous other factors which have a far greater impact on climate change. It is notable that he is not dependent on government funding. I am sure I could come up with many others like him if I put in the research.

What is being kept from us is the effect all this :Bllocks: has had and is having on energy prices. Renewable and nuclear energy are expensive and the poorest are hit hardest by the cost. From an environmental stand point I am concerned that the huge Hinkley Point nuclear power station is being constructed the other side of the Bristol Channel to me. The whole area was devistated by a tsunami five hundred years ago and we all know what happened in Japan not so long back. I would be far happier if the new power station was coal fired.
You will always find scientists that disagree and take an opposite view. If you truly engage in looking at the research in this area the evidence is overwhelming - we are influencing the climate.
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Copperblue wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:39 pm - we are influencing the climate.
Very minor influence in the grand scheme of things. Graphs and charts show what they want us to believe.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Copperblue

CN211276 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:10 pm
Very minor influence in the grand scheme of things. Graphs and charts show what they want us to believe.
Graphs and charts are output of scientific research to demonstrate the data generated and collated. The quality and shear mass of data generated in this area demonstrates the massive climate change. Data is all out there and growing - a lot of it can be linked to human behaviour. The attitude displayed in your post is part of the problem I’m sorry to say.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Copperblue wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:30 pm
Graphs and charts are output of scientific research to demonstrate the data generated and collated. The quality and shear mass of data generated in this area demonstrates the massive climate change. Data is all out there and growing - a lot of it can be linked to human behaviour. The attitude displayed in your post is part of the problem I’m sorry to say.
You are AD HOMINEM REMOVED. What is happening now has gone on throughout human and pre human history. We have as much chance of halting it as King Kanute had of stopping the tide coming in. The huge amounts of money being blown should be spent on mitigation measures.
Main System

Second System

Headphones

RIP Doc

Copperblue

CN211276 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:43 pm
Copperblue wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:30 pm

You are an example of the brain washing. What is happening now has gone on throughout human and pre human history. We have as much chance of halting it as King Kanute had of stopping the tide coming in. The huge amounts of money being blown should be spent on mitigation measures.
As a scientist / engineer and a human being, I am many many things but not brain washed. I look at data, cause and effect. Studies have shown that global temperature rises, loss of ice caps etc are real and can be slowed if we change our approach to energy production and consumption. It just needs human beings to approach the problem collectively, mostly likely through mass collaboration - a movement that will happen outside of governments.

The Earth should be cooling, if you study cosmology the universe is expanding and getting colder. Billions of human running hifi, phones, hand bag factories etc have irrefutably caused an increase in temperature on our little planet. If we continue unchecked it will change the climate and destroy habitats for many species not just us.

Anyway in a few billion years the planet will be wiped out by the Sun going nova……
These users thanked the author Copperblue for the post:
karatestu (Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:27 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I expect this subject is rather emotive and there are strong views on either side.

I am pro emissions reduction for more reasons than just global warming. Also I believe that capitalism and a healthy planet are not compatible.
DIY FREE ZONE