The cost of existing

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

The cost of existing

Unread post by karatestu »

Bugger me, the cost of everything is going thru the roof in the sunny uplands. Fertiliser price has been high for a while but now it is astronomical. I am going to be pissing on my crops at this rate. Good job I have been spreading muck from the sewerage works (Yorkshire water's finest shit).
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
slinger (Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:22 pm) • Wonfor14 (Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:18 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: The cost of existing

Unread post by slinger »

Don't worry, Stu, you'll soon be saving money again when there's bugger-all on display to be bought.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
karatestu (Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:34 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

karatestu wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:11 pm Bugger me, the cost of everything is going thru the roof in the sunny uplands. Fertiliser price has been high for a while but now it is astronomical. I am going to be pissing on my crops at this rate. Good job I have been spreading muck from the sewerage works (Yorkshire water's finest shit).
As a trainee chemist, one of my first jobs was in a sewage works lab, I took loads home to mum and we grew fantastic tomatoes.
Then one day taking measurements of dissolved oxygen I fell in , Tom the works manager enjoyed hosing me down in cold water in December and outside naked he thought it was very funny, and in truth it was :lol: , clothes being burnt, home I went in a boiler suit and donkey jacket on my 50cc Rayleigh Run About (iss 1956). Went down sick for 4 weeks, but then for many years never even caught a cold, good stuff shit. :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Wonfor14 for the post (total 3):
slinger (Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:50 pm) • karatestu (Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:40 am) • Andy-831 (Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:28 pm)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Colin - you might have the cure for Covid-19 there.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 3):
slinger (Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:58 pm) • karatestu (Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:40 am) • Wonfor14 (Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:42 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

👆😆😆
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

Wonfor14
Great Britain

Unread post by Wonfor14 »

Fretless wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:18 pm Colin - you might have the cure for Covid-19 there.
No it was before Trump let Covid lose on the world, so he could rule the world, he failed. :evil:

Oh here is a photo of one of his relatives. A real nice guy NOT.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

It is costing more to live in this joke of a country. I don't recall ever paying so much for diesel, gas, electric, fertiliser etc etc etc.

Part of me says that I hope this is temporary as it hurts the lower paid the most (as fecking usual). The other part of me thinks higher fuel prices will make a transition to new forms of energy production quicker.

I sell logs and I expect to do a roaring trade this winter. Lots of people had log burners installed since the banking crisis in 2008 thinking they might save a bit of money plus it is seen as trendy. The truth is it never worked out cheaper than oil or gas unless you were getting the wood for free.

Considering this government's track record at dealing with anything I expect recent events to be the tip of the iceberg. Expect food prices to go up substantially next year. Farmers are not buying as much fertiliser (if they can find any) so crop yields will be down next year. Lower supply will push the prices of produce up. Best get that veg patch going that you have always dreamed of but never could be bothered.
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Here's my personal take on it all.

Inflation is a part of the modern world. It's here to stay. What will vary is the rate of inflation.
The overall rate of inflation that we have now is lower than what we had in the 1970's. It's higher than what we've had from 2000 to 2019.

We've just had the biggest recession that we've ever had in the last 300 years.

All caused by something that's about twice as deadly as flu. Combined with the predictable reactions of the political leadership plus the general population to this contagious virus.

As we come out of lockdown, it's inevitable that a wide range of businesses will increase their prices.
There's nothing I can do about the actions of other people - where I have no control and no effective influence over them.
There's a lot that I can do about my own behaviour. And therefore that's where the vast majority of my focus will be.

Even with the inflation that we currently have, life in the UK 2021 is overwhelming good.

And as for Donald Trump, he's more of a Pinocchio than a Hitler. Stereo-typical bullshitting, lying, exagerating salesman. The type that turns every disagreement into ad hominem. The sort of man that loves the sound of his own voice when in the company of others and is terrible at shutting up and listening.
All of which are the main reasons why he won 1 presidential election and lost the next.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
r3xj0hn570n (Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:56 am)