Stu

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Stu

Unread post by karatestu »

My mental health - made some progress here :dance: My days are no longer filled with dread, regret, anxiety and sadness. What went wrong :lol: I still get those feelings but they no longer dominate. I can now tell them to fuck off and they actually do what I say. I can now actually look forward to things and relish the challenges that life throws my way. I have not felt like this since the late 1990's.

So what has changed ? Looking back I can see exactly where things turned bad, The sadness of losing my mum and becoming an orphan is slowly fading and the pressure of worrying and looking after her has gone. There was now a huge empty hole in my life . I busied myself filling this hole with my grief, tears and many many cans of San Miguel.

Now the brain fog has cleared I can see clearly. I have much to be happy about - lovely wife, two healthy kids who all love me. Hobbies I enjoy and a fairly safe means of providing money. My parents both became ill at the same time. Go back to 2001 and my world was torn apart. Dad ended up a quadriplegic through no fault of his own. The NHS fucked up big time. He struggled on for a further 11 years through chest infection after chest infection with a couple of brushes with pneumonia thrown in for good measure.

Mum started with MS in 2001 after having electric shock treatment on her brain for depression. That progressed slowly but chuck in a couple of mini strokes and vascular dementia for good measure. By 2014 mum couldn't walk so it was safe tk leave her in her own home because she couldn't do herself a mischief. It was vital in my view to have her in her own home. I made this happen. She died peacefully in her home of 52 years.

But 99% of the stress, pressure and sadness was on my shoulders. Although I like two of my three sisters they more or less left everything to me as I was running the farm and was the only one that had not moved away. At least my conscience was clear and I did everything I could to keep her safe, even through the horror of covid. The worry nearly finished me off.

So, my life has taken a big turn . I can finallysee the sunlit uplands. Mum has done this for me. I wouldn'r change what I did but its been bloody hard work, extremely sad and changed my personality.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 4):
Fretless (Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:36 am) • Lindsayt (Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:58 am) • SteveTheShadow (Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:10 am) • CycleCoach (Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:02 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

You have a big heart Stu. Respect.

:romance-grouphug:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Little wonder it was depressing - drinking San Miguel? :guiness;
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

karatestu
Great Britain

TheMadMick wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:46 am Little wonder it was depressing - drinking San Miguel? :guiness;
It seems to be my go to drink at the moment but when the weather turns colder I usually go on to ale. Won't be long.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

It's the end of an era, or so it seems to me. Both parents gone and the farm house empty for the first time in my life. It's like the house time forgot and is actually quite run down.

If we move there it will take an awful lot of time and money to get it in shape. Only three years to go to reach it's 300th birthday. As a single man I would have no problem slumming it there but I have a wife and two children to consider. Not sure what to do.

1) Do it up and rent out the house
2) Do if up and eventually move there myself
3) Sell the site with planning permission for housing.

It's in the middle of a village and so has a good chance of getting planning. The village is now so busy with through traffic and wasn't built for the size of modern agricultural vehicles. I could possibly try and get permission for a farm out of the village or just keep the land, rent it out and stop farming.

A bit of a crossroads in my life. I need to think this through properly. Farming has been a big part of my life and will be hard to give up.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
savvypaul (Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:13 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

House extension now put on hold as I don't know if I will be staying here. Bigger house may mean I can accommodate some big speakers in - isobaric doc mod 12 inchers.

I am pretty sure that the biggest cause of problems when I last used those drivers was ths crappy enclosures. And with the design being effectively bipolar there was too much bass due to the baffle step compensation.

Worth another go I reckon. No conventional mid driver though, just use the little SB acoustics full range (well almost) positioned above the up firing 12 inchers. Make a proper enclosure this time.
slinger (Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:10 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

karatestu wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:53 pm It's the end of an era, or so it seems to me. Both parents gone and the farm house empty for the first time in my life. It's like the house time forgot and is actually quite run down.

If we move there it will take an awful lot of time and money to get it in shape. Only three years to go to reach it's 300th birthday. As a single man I would have no problem slumming it there but I have a wife and two children to consider. Not sure what to do.

1) Do it up and rent out the house
2) Do if up and eventually move there myself
3) Sell the site with planning permission for housing.

It's in the middle of a village and so has a good chance of getting planning. The village is now so busy with through traffic and wasn't built for the size of modern agricultural vehicles. I could possibly try and get permission for a farm out of the village or just keep the land, rent it out and stop farming.

A bit of a crossroads in my life. I need to think this through properly. Farming has been a big part of my life and will be hard to give up.
Assume that you are guaranteed success, then do what you would do.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:31 am) • NSNO2021 (Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:14 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Deciding what would make you (and yours) happiest is a good place to start from.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
karatestu (Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:00 pm)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

karatestu
Great Britain

1998 Daihatsu Fourtrak sailed through yet another MOT. This thing is bloody amazing. Cost me £12K back in early 2000 and only broke down once in all these years when the fuel solenoid went tits up. At this rate its gonna outlast me, maybe I'll be buried in it.
slinger (Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:40 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Another trip to the scrap yard on Thursday as it was pissing it down. My second load at £400 each and there's quite a few more to go including a 1987 Nissan Micra, three steel oil tanks and assorted farm implements.

There's money in muck tha nos.
slinger (Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:39 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE