The state of public services

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

The state of public services

Unread post by karatestu »

I just realised what I wrote :lol: If you hadn't guessed it, this post is a moan. I have not gad the pleasure of using some of these services for a while. It's not every day that your mother dies.

Worst offender has been the local doctors closely followed by North Yorkshire Council. Fuck me, these guys really know how to rake something relatively simple and make it complicated . And then completely fuck it up and not even care.. it makes me want to go work for a charity where I can help people in need. Jesus, it's bloody hard work.

Before covid doctors voted not to do home visits because it took up too much time. Fair enough but who gets sent out to patient's homes now ? A paramedic. When it came to certifying the death my mum's doctor had to get the ok from the coroner because she had jot actually seen her for over three years. Then the paperwork she sent to the registrar was not accepted.

I'm about to join my mum and lose the will to live. Do government departments attract thick people with no empathy ? Tick. In the private sector you can't get away with such a lack of motivation. Being self employed I know the buck stops with me, there is nowhere to hide and I can't blame it on someone else.

Rant over.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:47 am) • CN211276 (Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:31 am)
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: The state of public services

Title has typo's and I can't work out how to fix (yes I am thick)
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

karatestu wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:58 am Title has typo's and I can't work out how to fix (yes I am thick)
Is that better, Stu?
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
karatestu (Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:46 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: The state 9f public servides

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:39 am I just realised what I wrote :lol: If you hadn't guessed it, this post is a moan. I have not gad the pleasure of using some of these services for a while. It's not every day that your mother dies.

Worst offender has been the local doctors closely followed by North Yorkshire Council. Fuck me, these guys really know how to rake something relatively simple and make it complicated . And then completely fuck it up and not even care.. it makes me want to go work for a charity where I can help people in need. Jesus, it's bloody hard work.

Before covid doctors voted not to do home visits because it took up too much time. Fair enough but who gets sent out to patient's homes now ? A paramedic. When it came to certifying the death my mum's doctor had to get the ok from the coroner because she had jot actually seen her for over three years. Then the paperwork she sent to the registrar was not accepted.

I'm about to join my mum and lose the will to live. Do government departments attract thick people with no empathy ? Tick. In the private sector you can't get away with such a lack of motivation. Being self employed I know the buck stops with me, there is nowhere to hide and I can't blame it on someone else.

Rant over.
Stu, the registrar has a job to do, he or she will need the correct information from the doctor before you can make an appointment. Hospital doctors have more experience of filling in the forms than family GPs. Give her a break, she probably doesn't do this very often for someone she hasn't seen for a while. You will soon have sympathy for her because you have a lot of form filling to come. People hate filling in forms, with good reason, some of them can be very poorly organised.

When you go to the registrar have all the information required, in the correct order, printed out and sitting in front of you. If you have Birth and Marriage certificates take them, or copies, with you. It can take quite a while with the registrar but being prepared will minimise the time taken. The registrar will really appreciate your being prepared.

Having designed forms, legal documents at that, I know a bit about forms and I also know that getting things wrong is an absolute pain. Government employees aren't "thick" and don't "lack empathy", they are trying to get it right first time so that you can get on with what you have to do. If they had to keep coming back to you to correct mistakes you would have reason to be annoyed. The registrar is employed by the council by the way.

Now, take a deep breath, look at the web sites and make a list of what each department wants, gather the information, in the correct order and then you will be ready to deal with each one as quickly and easily as possible. It is all in the preparation, just like everything else you do.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

My mum passed on 21 years ago and procedures were definitely more straightforward then.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

Firstly I'm very sorry to hear about your Mum passing.

Secondly I'd echo what Geoff said above.

Thirdly I'm sure you're already aware of this facility, but just in case you aren't, this is very useful - I know I've used it relatively recently.

https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death/organi ... ll-us-once

Plus if you have a tame solicitor I'd also talk to them about the pitfalls surrounding probate - there are many I'm afraid.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Grumpytim wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:45 am Firstly I'm very sorry to hear about your Mum passing.

Secondly I'd echo what Geoff said above.

Thirdly I'm sure you're already aware of this facility, but just in case you aren't, this is very useful - I know I've used it relatively recently.

https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death/organi ... ll-us-once

Plus if you have a tame solicitor I'd also talk to them about the pitfalls surrounding probate - there are many I'm afraid.
100% agree about the tame solicitor, mine has been vey helpful. The best advice was “you don’t need a solicitor if it is simple”. My friend isn’t working as a solicitor so his advice is free.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Your local Citizen's Advice Bureau can also be a great resource, and +1 on that link Tim posted. I used it when Jeanette died, and it does help with the paperwork hassle.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

I have been unfair to these people during my grief. I am much more able to deal with it as each day passes. Registrar appointment is tomorrow as time is running out. They will do the tell us once thing with us apparently. Funeral is more or less sorted.
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post (total 2):
slinger (Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:59 pm) • Grumpytim (Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:28 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Tell us once is something you do online, the registrar simply gives you a login. It is very easy so don’t worry about that.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 2):
slinger (Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:32 pm) • karatestu (Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:50 pm)