What speakers have you owned ?

All general audio posts go here.
wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What speakers have you owned ?

Unread post by wallace »

I must be easy to please,or just not a box swapper.In 50 years i have only owned three pairs of speakers,All of them made from kits.
Heathkit AS 9560
Wilmslow Audio LS3/5A
IPL S3tlm
They only got changed when i moved house and didn't fit in.If my big old Sansui amp hadn't blown up at a party,several years ago, i would still be using that. :o :grin:
I have had ten cdp's since i retired,but that's another story,I don't count all the little bookshelf speakers i've bought of ebay to play with on the pc system,they were just for fun,not proper listening. :lol:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

That wallace is a mighty fine philosphy . I am amazed at the stories of speakers lost and regretted . Before my speaker sabbatical to live the life of a rock star , I had a fair few , odd shape tannoys , mission 753 , heybrook , AR 8 from laskeys for university and dozens from a local second hand shop, I also bought a nva amp from there . From memory I dont recall being happy with any of the speakers . Between 97 and 2009ish , I lived the life of a rock star instead of listening to rock and did not own a pair of speakers , i put my pt in box and sold everything else ;)

Then in 2010, i decided I would build my own and was on a steep learning curve , but i could'nt get any of the drivers I purchased to sound good with a x-over . so searching the net in early 2011 I came across H/S and the rest is history , in my first or second post the doc advised me to wire the twin bass drivers in series and forsake the x-over and just a cap and resistor on the tweeter . Hey presto music . So began the journey that resulted in my current speaker [ modiifed JPw AP2 with NVA bass drivers ] and I can not see me changing these unless or until we build an extension and enlarge the room .

given the testimony of so many , there is awful lot of shit out there , so why change what you are happy with .

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

wallace wrote:I must be easy to please,or just not a box swapper.In 50 years i have only owned three pairs of speakers,All of them made from kits.
Heathkit AS 9560
Wilmslow Audio LS3/5A
IPL S3tlm
They only got changed when i moved house and didn't fit in.If my big old Sansui amp hadn't blown up at a party,several years ago, i would still be using that. :o :grin:
I have had ten cdp's since i retired,but that's another story,I don't count all the little bookshelf speakers i've bought of ebay to play with on the pc system,they were just for fun,not proper listening. :lol:
What were the Wilmslow LS3s like ? Did they go well with the NVA ?

I have just bought a book and will be building my own speakers this year, cannot wait.

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

Mission 780SE
Amphion Argon2
Amphion Argon3
Royd Sorcerer (with hand-doped revelation drivers)
Royd Sapphire MK1
Royd Minstrel
Royd RR3

...as in owned for a long period of time rather than home demo etc.

AshM750.

Yomanze wrote:Mission 780SE
Amphion Argon2
Amphion Argon3
Royd Sapphire MK1
Royd Minstrel
Royd RR3

Have you still got the RR3s ? If you do ever want to sell them Id be happy to give you a good price ;)

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

AshM750. wrote:
Yomanze wrote:Mission 780SE
Amphion Argon2
Amphion Argon3
Royd Sapphire MK1
Royd Minstrel
Royd RR3

Have you still got the RR3s ? If you do ever want to sell them Id be happy to give you a good price ;)
I still own: Minstrels, Sorcerers and RR3s. The RR3s are more refined and less up-front than the older Royds, still got boogie, but not as "front row" and dare I say it fun than the earlier Royd speakers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There are advocates of the RR series but people it seems don't realise they were the sign of Joe compromising. The process of driver doping and matching was expensive and time consuming and only he knew how to do it. The RRs and the tie up with JPW was to get an easier life and make some money for a change. They don't have the musical magic of earlier Royds but are still very good.

They may be small but I think the best of the bunch is Merlins, best of luck in finding any though.

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:There are advocates of the RR series but people it seems don't realise they were the sign of Joe compromising. The process of driver doping and matching was expensive and time consuming and only he knew how to do it. The RRs and the tie up with JPW was to get an easier life and make some money for a change. They don't have the musical magic of earlier Royds but are still very good.

They may be small but I think the best of the bunch is Merlins, best of luck in finding any though.
The Merlins are Sorcerers without the heavy plate metal lining, you prefer them this way? I find the Sorcerers to have the least box colouration of any Royd speaker, in fact any box speaker I've heard full-stop.

Yes indeed, when I look at the revelation driver in my pair of Sorcerers you can see they're hand-doped, with no crossover. The RR3s do have a 1st order crossover on the driver & don't look hand-doped, more sprayed on.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Never heard the Sorcerer so you may be right, Joe's idea with the Merlin was to reproduce the Minstrel in a more conventional box. The drivers in the RRs were not doped or matched, they came from the manufacturer that way. Paper coned driver with a stuck on polymer overlay.

AshM750.

I had a set of RR2s, comparing them to doublets I actually prefer Doublets as they do have that forward presentation and are very accurate. Especially with NVA Products !!!