LS2 speaker cable

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

LS2 speaker cable

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There has been a couple of comment about LS2 on forums recently, so I need to say again about this cable.

LS2 is not NVA cable it is an electrical installation cable for single house runs within walls etc. It is almost the standard for this job, but a better version in terms of copper quality. NVA design speaker cables are LS1 LS3 LS5 LS6 and TLCS. I sell LS2 (and the number is when started in production so LS1 was the first cable I did) because a lot of people want a cheap cable that they can be sure is electrically compatible with NVA amps and for cable non believers. It is not a especially good sounding cable, at the price it is an adequately sounding cable which is used as a starter cable to get into NVA amplifiers.

It should always be traded up when possible.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: LS2 speaker cable

It is 7 pretty thick copper cores run within a polymer sleeve.

NVA cable has a totally different idea and construction. The easiest way of thinking about about NVA cable is it a series of insulated single core speaker cables run in parallel within a expandable sleeve. Two different type cores are used depending on the cable and the core number goes up. From 8 cores in LS1 to 32 in LS5 to 156 cores in TSCS.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

If I could just add my own experiences here.

I have always been a bit of a cable skeptic, and when I bought my p50/A40 was quite happy to use a set of LS2 (mainly to ensure that I didn't "upset" my new amps). With this combination I was quite happy with the result, it was better than I had previously been used to.
However, a pair of LS5 recently came up on the second hand market so I took a leap of faith and bought them.

I wasn't prepared for the difference in sound, the system is just so much more authoritative; base lines are deeper, better controlled more rhythmic and informative, tone of instruments sounds more realistic - whole thing just hangs together, closer to listening to music. In the past I have thought that talking about changes of this magnitude in speaker cables was bollocks. Oh well, live and learn.
I think that the best way that I can describe the difference is to say that the improvement I am hearing is what I would have expected to have achieved by moving further up the range in power amplification. I guess that I wasn't fully appreciating what the A40's are capable of. Bit of a bargain really :grin:

Only thing I would like to change is that these are older LS5 with a banana which isn't quite as tight in the hole as the z plugs which I had on the LS2's - Are you willing to refresh the plugs Doc, or is it relatively easy to do for myself? I don't want to start meddling with the wrapping only to find that it is a bitch to put back together! The idea of soldering 32 separately insulated wires worries me.
I have recently found that I can solder (by making up a couple of interconnects), which I hope to show off in a thread in the near future.

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It would be too expensive for me because of the cable construction, enjoy it as it is, you are not losing anything, the Z plugs don't sound any better.

guydarryl

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It would be too expensive for me because of the cable construction, enjoy it as it is, you are not losing anything, the Z plugs don't sound any better.
Thanks for the reassurance, it is a rather special cable.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Set in the mold cable disbelievers take a lot of shaking out of it. It only happens by trying and listening. At least with NVA cable you can send it back for refund, but it doesn't come back.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Good move. LS5 is a stunner!

You're running a similar rig to mine, Guy, (P50sa/A40/LS5) what interconnects are between? Going from SSC to SSP will give a noticeable improvement; the 'window' at the speaker end is now clearer and wider open - improvements earlier in the signal chain become more audible.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Another huge shout for the excellent sonics and value of the LS5! I think the LS6 is significantly more expensive.

Guy, the Z plugs can be a bit fragile too if used the way I have mine. One of them was crushed at an angle and now has a split around 75% of the base. I've put in a 'splint' internally and soldered up the damage and it's now solid again and working right. Had I made up the NVA amps earlier, this wouldn't have happened, as the HH amp is incredibly deep and crushed the cables between it and the back wall.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I liked hearing the LS6 when I lived in Southall. I found them much smoother sounding than the LS1.

Someday I might buy some LS6!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

guydarryl

Fretless wrote:Good move. LS5 is a stunner!

You're running a similar rig to mine, Guy, (P50sa/A40/LS5) what interconnects are between? Going from SSC to SSP will give a noticeable improvement; the 'window' at the speaker end is now clearer and wider open - improvements earlier in the signal chain become more audible.
SSC between P50 and A40's, home made between phono 2 and pre (temporary) soon to be replaced with SSC.

Made up temporary with Nakamichi plugs (about£12 for eight on ebay, seem well made) and some Vaan Damme balanced patch cable (been around the house for years). I really surprised myself with how well the soldering went and have been pleased with the result - so much so that I intend to keep using it for CD and tuner connection.
I used the Doc's method (I think) two inner cables for signal and return, outer braid not connected either end.

Not sure about SSP - household harmony a major factor, if you get my meaning ;) :lol:
but thanks for the tip.