Tweeter Repairs

All general audio posts go here.
walterwhite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Wales

Re: Tweeter Repairs

Unread post by walterwhite »

Thanks DQ. It is the 6 Ohm one I have. Are you saying that you think a 4 Ohm one would work without mods? The guy at Willys gave me the impression that it wouldn't, saying that the windings would be different - number of, and guage of wire were his arguments, although I've learnt over the years that a second opinion is never a bad thing :lol: If it's the case that it'd work, I could get a spare or two just in case.

Ferrofluid looks as though it might be a good idea too. Just means waiting for overseas delivery. Might be worth doing both tweeters to ensure uniformity?
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Don't worry about the impedance in this case. It changes with frequency anyway regardless of any passive bits in between the amp and tweeter....

As for ferrofluid, it dries out in any event and changing one of a pair of twenty year old tweeter modules as you've done may well cause an imbalance - you won't know until you've tried it..
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

walterwhite
Wales

Just ordered enough ferrofluid for two tweeters. Just shy of £20 inc. p&p from USA. 5-7 days delivery time. The suspense is killing me. Will it work or wont it :pray:
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

walterwhite
Wales

The ferrofluid arrived from the USA on Saturday, and the results as to whether the tweeter was repairable or not was a big fat yes. It's singing away as I type, so in this instance a repair was indeed possible :guiness;

Also, for posterity, and for others who might find themselves reading this post in hope of a cure for ailing RR2's, I received an email from Will at Willy's Hifi announcing that straight replacements are also now available. They are the Vifa D26NC56-06, which has a slightly different shaped heat-sink on the magnet, and might require a very minor mod to the hole in the cabs, but should otherwise be perfect.

I can post a link to the Vifa tweeters, but not too sure if it breaks forum rules.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Nice one Walt, glad it worked out well for you...... :clap: :guiness;

walterwhite
Wales

jammy395 wrote:Nice one Walt, glad it worked out well for you...... :clap: :guiness;
Over the moon Jammy :grin: FWIW I've been using my Doublets whilst the RR2's were out of commission, and I can say, hand on heart, the RR2's are my preferred speaker. I've read loads of comments from people saying that these speakers were in some way inferior to the rest of Joe Ackroyd's output, but for me they are my favourite Royds, and I've listened to a fair selection over the last few years. They just seem to work so well in my room. So glad I've got them back :dance:

I also ordered a pair of the D26NC56-06, so I should be set fair for a few years of listening yet.