prog rock

All music posts here please.
The Permed One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: prog rock

Unread post by The Permed One »

Lurcher:
Were prog you mean ;) Colosseum were done in early 70's anyway, twas Colosseum II mid to late 70's.. [mid 70's = No prog] ;)

Thing is the early prog bands change line ups & musical style, by the late 70's they become something that does not resemble their earlier work & style..

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

No, but by definition prog needs to continue to "progress". Marilion and Rush are two more examples.

But I suspect your definition of prog is fixed to only include pre 197X bands (for small values of X), so by that definition there was nothing after that date.

The Permed One

Lurcher300b wrote: But I suspect your definition of prog is fixed to only include pre 197X bands (for small values of X), so by that definition there was nothing after that date.
What do you mean about small value of X? If you are assuming there is little in the way of prog between '69-'73' you are very sadly mistaken, there was literally hundreds & hundreds of Prog bands, you are just not aware of em, people have this real bad habbit of thinking prog consists of ELP/Yes/Genesis etc, the ones that had a slight commercial sucess at some point but was generally post prog ;)

Prog was a movement that for the most part stayed underground, one thing i cannot stand is commerciality within music..

Did you know that all the major Record labels in the early 70's had subsidairy labels set up especially to deal with Progressive music ie: Philips [Swirl Vertigo], RCA [Neon], EMI [Harvest], Decca [Deram/Nova] etc..

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

What do you mean about small value of X
Small values of X, ie 0, 1,2, so 1970, = 1972

Not 7, 8 or 9, 1977-1979
one thing i cannot stand is commerciality within music.
I see nothing wrong wiith musicians being paid for their trade,

Seemed a simple way of saying that you seem to define prog as music before 1973, so by your definition there is no prog after that.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Lurcher300b wrote:
There is no late 70's Prog
Colosseum and Curved Air are two that come to mind.
Both were late 60s/early 70s though. The original Curved Air was active from 1970-74; Colosseum from 1968-71, I remember because both featured quite heavily in the NME which was my music paper of choice.

joe

Unread post by joe »

The Permed One wrote: Prog was a movement that for the most part stayed underground, one thing i cannot stand is commerciality within music..

Did you know that all the major Record labels in the early 70's had subsidairy labels set up especially to deal with Progressive music ie: Philips [Swirl Vertigo], RCA [Neon], EMI [Harvest], Decca [Deram/Nova] etc..
'It's the end of an era, man. They're selling hippy wigs in Woolworths''

(Withnail and I, quoted from memory).

The Permed One

Jesus. im gonna get someone on here that will tell you lot.

The Permed One

joe wrote:
The Permed One wrote: Prog was a movement that for the most part stayed underground, one thing i cannot stand is commerciality within music..

Can you explain what a hippy has to do with Prog?

joe

Unread post by joe »

The Permed One wrote:
joe wrote:

Can you explain what a hippy has to do with Prog?
Hippies mostly liked prog. I know, I was there at the time, when you were just a worried look on your father's face.

It was all quite tribal; mods tended to like the sort of pop groups that morphed into prog groups; some mods grew their hair and became hippies. Other mods had their hair cropped short and became skinheads, listening only to black music. Rockers by contrast stayed as rockers and mostly became heavy metal fans.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

The Permed One wrote:Jesus. im gonna get someone on here that will tell you lot.
Cant wait...... :epop: