prog rock

All music posts here please.
Mississippi Blind Child Assburn
Has thanked: 0
Canada

Re: prog rock

Unread post by Mississippi Blind Child Assburn »

All interest is trainspotting.Just different degrees of.
If you don't have interest in life, then what do you have - your job?

Greenslade's best organ solo is to be found on a Swedish 1976 lp by band/artist....which I am not revealing to you.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote:All interest is trainspotting.Just different degrees of.
If you don't have interest in life, then what do you have - your job?.
Personally, I'm mostly interested in books, but mainly, indeed only, for their content. Others are interested in stuff 'about' books, such as, 'is it a first edition?', 'does it have its original dust jacket?', 'is it the rare 1876 edition with a misprint on page 34?'

Neither approach is intrinsically right or wrong, but I'd see the second type of interest as more 'trainspotting' than my own.

Canada

All collecting gets silly - but rarely dangerous.

I try to curb things a bit when it comes to records. For instance once a band goes shoite I stop my interest with them (unless later on they get back on the rails). In that sense I am not a completist. But one thing I AM guilty of - collecting alternate coverarts OF THE SAME RECORD.

Have you read the Manguel books on books in history or collecting in general?

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Is the Mississippi's toddlers arse burning because he is blind ? If not what relevance is visual acuity ?

joe

Unread post by joe »

Mississippi Blind Child Assburn wrote:All collecting gets silly - but rarely dangerous.

I try to curb things a bit when it comes to records. For instance once a band goes shoite I stop my interest with them (unless later on they get back on the rails). In that sense I am not a completist. But one thing I AM guilty of - collecting alternate coverarts OF THE SAME RECORD.

Have you read the Manguel books on books in history or collecting in general?
I have, yes, in fact I can see them in the bookcase from where I'm sitting. But it was a while ago I read them. I have very few duplicate records; a few where I bought the CD because the LP was knackered, or where the CD had extra tracks (usually not worth having), or I bought a bargain box set, but otherwise it's mostly one copy of each recording. Several duplicate books though; at the last count we had four copies of 'Mansfield Park'!

joe

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Is the Mississippi's toddlers arse burning because he is blind ? If not what relevance is visual acuity ?
I'm guessing it's a joke blues name, parodying the likes of Blind Lemon Jefferson.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Greenslade's best organ solo is to be found on a Swedish 1976 lp by band/artist....which I am not revealing to you....( Mississippi Blind Child Assburn )

Shit Missy, I dont think I'll be able to sleep tonight... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The collectors virus gets hold of me occasionally. Usually associated with becoming temporarily fixated on a specific artist.
At the moment I am hunting down various live recordings of post-Robert Wyatt Soft Machine, and then preferably featuring Allan Holdsworth or John Etheridge.

Also I tend to replace favourite CD's with newer remastered versions, meaning that I have a boxfull of good but discarded discs lying around. Which I usually give away to anyone who's interested in them. Maybe I'll put up a list here soon, see if there are any takers.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Canada

Fretless:
then you might be interested to hear that way back in the day I did one lp trade and a couple of CASSETTE trades with Mike King (who wrote the book on Wyatt).
I got - oh mebbe 20 or even 30 cassettes of Canterbury artists live. Good quality. No idea how much of that is available on internet. Nothing really on Wyatt but live stuff like Hatfield,Gilgamesh,etc.

Canada

Yes! Gimme! Gimme!