am i round the twist?

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

am i round the twist?

Unread post by jayman67 »

my pioneer tt uses a converter to run on uk mains,the lead from the tt is just 2 prongs into the converter,i always unplug it when not in use,does it matter or make any difference which way round i plug it in?
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

zebbo
Great Britain

Re: am i round the twist?

Unread post by zebbo »

Nope.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

The wide blade is the neutral side. Don't know if it causes you an operational issue, but as I recall it could cause you a safety issue with the electrical system and what is plugged into it. As your hot lead is connected to what should be the neutral/ground wiring on your component. I would not see where a step down transformer would change any electrical pathway, but I don't know for sure.

Malaikat
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Malaikat »

I have a Marantz 6005 CD player which I use as a secondary choice for non-serious or background listening. This has a reversable two-pinned plug into standard British mains plug adaptor. I have experimented with this for fun and one way around is definitely better than the other....it can drive you mad though! However, many years ago I invested (?) in Russ Andrews Reference powercords :oops: which work fine with my Marantz and Arcam equipment and alleviate the problem of the choice of 'which way round'. However, the Russ Andrews powercords are for some unknown reason, hopeless with my Naim gear; completely destroying PRAT and muddying the sound. I have no idea why, but anyway, Naim advise against the use of aftermarket cables. Strangely, their own standard mains cables are quite cheap. Then there is the question of cable directionality; some manufacturer's cables have direction arrows and other manufacturers say their cables are non-directional. Russ Andrews says all cables are directional to some extent, some more than others. I have no technical knowledge whatsoever and so have no understanding. I'm sure that the Doc can explain this.
Naim cd5 XS, Naim XS integrated, NVA BMU, NACA5, EPOS ES14. Back up: Marantz CD6005, Arcam A18, Tannoy Revolution 6 DCT se.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I feel a :hbs: coming on. :lol: :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is an explanation (mine) for when I have time.