Mix and match.

All things NVA
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Mix and match.

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I loved my 'Bolt-up' NAP250 and of the later CB and Olive eras, the 135's came closest and for most purposes and after countless dems I've done, they were limited by the preamps used with them (compare a 72 with a 52 to get the idea). Now, in theory and given a clean source, a passive SHOULD be far better again, but the cautions I posted are valid I feel and well intentioned. If it works, a set of A80's could be bought on sor and tried in comparison, the 135's having great resale value if they're proved not to be as involving to listen through.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I too have been out of the Hi-Fi scene for many years and certainly won't be buying anything more for some time so I can claim to be unbiased. Well sort of, I was interested enough to read the original reviews of the Linn LP 12 that said it was poor and never even heard one as a result.

You can try feeding your power amps with a passive pre-amp but equally you could just feed your MacBook Pro directly into them, a passive pre-amp is after all an attenuator, so why not try that? If it sounds OK you will know that inserting a P90 will work. If, as suggested, the amps become unstable you will know that the P90 isn't going to work. You might need an adaptor cable but you would need that with the P90 too.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Good shout Geoff.
My plan was to get a DAC and then look at the amps, and my original post was a sort of "thinking out loud" thing.
I will need to get cabling anyway as you say (either with a passive pre or no, so that's certainly food for thought.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I loved my 'Bolt-up' NAP250 and of the later CB and Olive eras, the 135's came closest and for most purposes and after countless dems I've done, they were limited by the preamps used with them (compare a 72 with a 52 to get the idea). Now, in theory and given a clean source, a passive SHOULD be far better again, but the cautions I posted are valid I feel and well intentioned. If it works, a set of A80's could be bought on sor and tried in comparison, the 135's having great resale value if they're proved not to be as involving to listen through.
Thanks DSJR.
I stuck with a 32.5 pre after listening to the 72 and thinking it worse, and always gave everthing a listen before committing myself, (although reading on here about the shenanigans that used to transpire back in the day does leave me thinking that i maybe didn't always listen to the "right" stuff when doing my comparisons.)
Getting my old kit down from the loft and firing it up was certainly an eye-opener after my budget re-entry to serious litening - and I can confirm that the current setup is massively better than my eBay NAD was!
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is a very simple answer that takes no risk of anything. Buy a P20 / A20 for £300 and if it doesn't make better music than the Naim then keep it and send back the nva for full refund. Even at starter level you will hear all you need to hear, and know that it can only get better if you move up with nva, or just stay and enjoy. Though eventually the speaker cable will *need* to progress.

I can also point you to (or supply you) all you need to make the Mac make better music as a starter for £30.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Thanks Doc,

it sounds much more straightforward than my convoluted thinking. I will revisit this after Christmas and be in touch.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

I've only been and gone and done it.... :grin:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

:epop:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

:epop:

wiicrackpot
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

CycleCoach wrote:I've only been and gone and done it.... :grin:
Come on Dave (Brailsford), spill the beans !!, while you're at it, tell us what Wiggo was taking. ;) :mrgreen:
Frank...made me do it.