Cd player vs transport and dac.

All general audio posts go here.
Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Cd player vs transport and dac.

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Looking for your thoughts on whether a dedicated transport and dac is a better option than my current cd player. I have a Naim cd5 and was set on adding an off board power supply probably Avondale. Since reading the dac thread and various online forum discussions I am now wondering if I would be better selling the Naim and adding the 3 to 4 hundred pounds power supply money and buying something like a Cambridge cxc and a Schitt multibit. Would this be better than the cd5 and then I obviously have the benifit of using the dac for other things like Spotify and maybe a music server. Any opinions would be most welcome.

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Cd player vs transport and dac.

Unread post by Fretless »

The CXC is superb value. My experience is that a CD transport & dedicated separate DAC sounds better than a standalone CD player and offers more flexibility. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

wallace47
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by wallace47 »

I used to have a Naim CD5 to which i added a secondhand recapped Hicap and was very pleased with the sound.Then i bought a squeezebox touch and couldn't hear much difference.I ended selling the Naim kit,for a good price i might add.I suggest you find an old hicap and get Mr Avondale to breath on it for you,not sure if he still does his upgrades now thou'.Good luck.
Revox B795 Phono1 AP70 LS5 Royd Minstrels ,AP10 Royd Conistons Grado RS1 E-Dac..

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Or you could look at a server that has a built-in CD ripper. Then you can listen to your CDs, Spotify, digital download files through one interface (app on phone / tablet / pc).

I got mine from here, others do similar stuff: http://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Music_Server ... 36594.aspx
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by OrangeFixie »

Hi, I tried a HiCap with my CD5x a few years ago and preferred the sound without it! Earlier this year I bought an Audiolab M DAC+ and tried it with a £40 DVD player. I preferred the combination to the CD5x, more detail, less coloured, better all 'round. I sold the Naim and bought a second hand Musical Fidelity M1 CDT. So, in my opinion, the two box option is better, plus I can listen to music from my computer.