Modern speaker brands that make the BEST music

All general audio posts go here.
Andy-831
Great Britain

Re: Modern speaker brands that make the BEST music

Unread post by Andy-831 »

You would have to kill me to get me to let my 15" Tannoy DC'S go, I have owned them for 12 years and will be my "final speaker" however wardrobe sized enclosures with vintage styling are not most peoples bag anyway :grin: .

On a more sensible and cost effective note I have a pair of Qacoustic 3020 speakers which punch well above their current ebay price point of about £100.

I have not heard many of the other speakers listed in the thread other than Pauls Heresy's which are a hoot.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or Audiolab M-PWR
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Berty bass wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:16 pm I get the distinct impression no one's going to be volunteering more mainstream or high profile names. :)
I can assure I would if they weren't shite.

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:52 pm
Berty bass wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:16 pm I get the distinct impression no one's going to be volunteering more mainstream or high profile names. :)
I can assure I would if they weren't shite.
:lol:

George Hincapie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I really like the Kii 3 actives :guiness;

George Hincapie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Also heard some TAD Reference floorstanders that sounded amazing. CR1 I think?

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

What's the view on ATC? I like the sound of a company who make their own drivers, and whose drivers are so often used by others.

Mr Quackers

Unread post by Mr Quackers »

How about Spendor? They make their own drive units except tweeters and their own boxes.Beautiful natural well integrated sound. I have a pair of their Classic SP2/3r2 which is based on the classic BBC thin wall approach. They sound so rich and lush - velvety if you will. No squawking, shouting honk boxes here!

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Berty bass wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:23 pm What's the view on ATC? I like the sound of a company who make their own drivers, and whose drivers are so often used by others.
I found the ATC SCM11's disappointing when I heard them with a Hegel 360 amp in a bake off againts AVI DM10's with a sub and EV Sentry III's with a Korneff clone SET and then a Creek 4040 amp. Too crude and with too much of the bass filtered out.

Active ATC 50's are one of those speakers that I can understand why they are loved by their owners, but they're not for me - mainly because too often they don't put a smile on my face when listening to music on them.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Mr Quackers wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:16 am How about Spendor? They make their own drive units except tweeters and their own boxes.Beautiful natural well integrated sound. I have a pair of their Classic SP2/3r2 which is based on the classic BBC thin wall approach. They sound so rich and lush - velvety if you will. No squawking, shouting honk boxes here!
I've not heard a Spendor yet that will get my toes tapping in the way that Bozak Symphonies can.

Lindsayt
Nauru

At Owston 2018 there were some musical DIY'd speakers. Or speakers that were musical for the amount spent on them.