It's time for EVERYONE to compromise...

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: It's time for EVERYONE to compromise...

Unread post by savvypaul »

The question is how are YOU going to compromise.

Off topic rants will be removed...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Why should there be compromise between people who have different views? Everyone is entitled to their view.
There should be respect for the views of another, sure, but how can compromise on the part of individuals in the general public make any difference to solving the problem?
The problem is not the divided country, it is the utter farce of a parliament that is sitting right now. Wether you voted leave or remain is irrelevant, the elected representatives sat in the big building in Westminster are the problem. 2 parties have nailed their colours to the mast, those wankers in power who have alienated half of their own sitting mps by removing the whip and heading down a path that the party isn't entirely behind insist they will deliver brexit whatever the cost, the lib dems who have precisely no influence on anything say they will oppose brexit whatever the cost, and labour are vacillating somewhere in the middle having split themselves into a strange array of factions who cannot agree on the colour of the sky behind the clouds, and who seem intent on sitting on a fence which doesn't exist.
Where is the compromise supposed to come from when there is not even the suggestion of a compromise to coalesce around?
The only common thread is that everyone seems to agree a deal is necessary. The EU would prefer a deal. This is the only thing that all parties agree on. There should be people in Brussels hammering out a deal, not the theatrics in Parliament.
How will I compromise? I won't. Why should I? If there was a referendum tomorrow I would vote in exactly the same way, the last 3 years of utter utter incredulity at proceedings have solidified my decision like granite
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

A deal is not leaving by another name.

Leaving the EU is not possible.

But let's have a charade.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

I’m at the stage where I couldn’t care less.
It’s mass hysteria at the moment and rational decision making cannot take place whilst the hysterics continue.
There is no middle ground as the centre has been hollowed out, therefore there can be no compromises.
Last edited by SteveTheShadow on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Vinyl-ant wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:01 pm How will I compromise? I won't. Why should I?

Because 'not compromising' is having negative consequences?
I am in the hi-fi trade

Docfoster
Wales

Unread post by Docfoster »

Given the result, and current polling I think remaining and no-dealing are unwise. Something inbetween is the more likely to progress the national mood a bit.
Something like May’s deal I suppose. I.e. some sort of softish Brexit. Though it’s possible if we leave with “no deal” our hand will be strengthened, as the EU will have to work harder to secure the £37bn. (Odd that May agreed to that before agreeing the rest of the deal.)
I voted remain btw, and would do so again.
But agree in the current situation only compromise, or a very long time, or both will start to put all this behind us.
System 1: JRiver MC24 > Dell Latitude 7270 > Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC & pre- > One4 Class A power amp (with Dynamic PSU boards) > DIY Monacor SP-310CX speakers & DIY Dayton Audio SD315A-88 bass cab.
LC Audio Technology mains DC filter > Sovereign MTBPS balanced power supply
TQ (Wonfor) Ultra Black cables.

System 2: Anything with a headphone socket > Inca Tech Claymore > DIY Monacor SP-308CX speakers

savvypaul
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:29 pm Leaving the EU is not possible.
Many peoples 'idea' of leaving the EU is not possible.
I am in the hi-fi trade

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:38 pm
Vinyl-ant wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:01 pm How will I compromise? I won't. Why should I?

But the whole question is completely irrelevant. We, as a populace have NO control over events. All I see personally is a load of people screaming and shouting at each other, in a posh building, and one side trying to stir up civil unrest, so that they can declare a state of emergency, in order to bypass the load of people shouting and screaming at each other in a posh building.
Until they sort themselves out, how the hell are us plebs going to have any influence?
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

savvypaul
Great Britain

SteveTheShadow wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:45 pm
savvypaul wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:38 pm

But the whole question is completely irrelevant. We, as a populace have NO control over events. All I see personally is a load of people screaming and shouting at each other, in a posh building, and one side trying to stir up civil unrest, so that they can declare a state of emergency, in order to bypass the load of people shouting and screaming at each other in a posh building.
Until they sort themselves out, how the hell are us plebs going to have any influence?
Then, how do you want the MPs to compromise?
I am in the hi-fi trade

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Unless I am mistaken, we currently live in a democracy.

In a democracy, the will of the majority should prevail. So why is brexit so problematic ? I think that the answer lies in the fact that the referendum question was flawed. Cameron et al did not do their homework. Correct me if I am wrong but the EU leaving document is a few lines and no structure for an exit. I suspect that nobody in the EU ever thought that a nation would leave so no need to negotiate the exit conditions when a new member joins. After all, who wants to talk about leaving when you are joining ?

So, here’s my compromise :

Revoke article 50, negotiate the terms of a withdrawal and publish them in full. At the same time, make it clear to the public what leaving without a deal means. Once this has been done, hold a referendum with the following conditions :

If a majority elect to revoke, we revoke and stay. If the sum of “leave with a deal” and “leave without a deal” is the majority then we leave. The terms of leaving are the leaving mechanism which receives the greatest number of votes.