Good, Cheap, Cartridges

All general audio posts go here.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Good, Cheap, Cartridges

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Was prompted to start this list, after receiving yesterday, an E2 replacement needle for my Goldring E-Series, MM cartridge. The E2 is in the middle of the range and is equipped with a 0.6mm conical stylus.

https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acatalo ... tml#SID=18

I’d had the time honoured mishap with the Goldring cart, in E3 (elliptical) guise, of catching the sleeve of my jumper on the underside of the body and had ripped out the cantilever assembly from the cart. :oops: There were a few choice words!

I bought the cheaper conical stylus assembly, because I no longer trust myself either to exactly align a cartridge, or to handle one consistently without some incident occurring sooner or later. My manual dexterity and eyesight are not what they were, so the days of Ortofon Rondo Bronzes and the like are now gone.

Cutting to the chase: The E2 and the SME 3009 S2 imp, are an excellent match. The conical stylus gives a smooth, easy, soulful, sound, with plenty of weight and a wide soundscape.

At the ends of record sides, the presentation does get softer, as one would expect, but all that means in practice, is that everything smooths out even more, rather than getting coarse. There are no nasty surprises, such as mis-tracking, congestion or sibilance at the inner grooves; which’ll do for me. In actual fact, the tracking is better with this stylus than with the elliptical. It’s up with the AT VM540ML in that department, so no complaints there.

The sins of the E2 cartridge are of omission rather than commission. The E2 is warm, full, weighty, and disarmingly musical in its approach to the signal cut into the groove.

The conical stylus plays my old 1950s and 60s original mono and stereo LPs, much better than anything else I’ve used in the past, which is nice. Surface noise from old records is very low, and the green coloured stylus assembly looks cool.

Anyone else got a favourite cheap cartridge?
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

CaterhamKev
Christmas Island

Re: Good, Cheap, Cartridges

Unread post by CaterhamKev »

Yes, the AT-VM95ML. Seriously good for the money.
Being a Microline, it needs careful set up, but it tracks well, and sounds good (to my ears).

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I got both my moving coils from Japan. A zyx and an audio technica. Both for less than £350.which is £70 dearer than a goldring mm.

The at cantilever is a marvel of modern engineering.

I'm at a loss on why you would pay more or less.

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

My Denon 103 is no slouch in a PL71. I have often wondered if there is anything better even at several times the price.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I like the 103. It's bold and generous and it's faults are easily forgiven. Best in a heavy arm, ime. I put it in my Ortofon TA-210 and it runs my £1400 SPU pretty close for sheer enjoyment.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

I think there's a lot of rubbish talked about cartridges. The innards are simply copper and a magnet. How can they sound different from cartridge to cartridge, with the exception of output.

The cantilever is made of differing materials with boron being recognised as the best and then there is the shape of the diamond. That's it.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:41 am I think there's a lot of rubbish talked about cartridges. The innards are simply copper and a magnet. How can they sound different from cartridge to cartridge, with the exception of output.

The cantilever is made of differing materials with boron being recognised as the best and then there is the shape of the diamond. That's it.
You could apply that simplistic view of the world to almost any thing that is designed and produced and that even goes for art, music etc. And if you want to that's your choice and good for you, personal choice regarding music and music reproduction should not have to be justified, my choice is however somewhat different.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Daniel Quinn

It would seem your critique is words devoid of meaning.

Cartridge manufacturer is engineering not art.

It is noted that you have a rega cartridge. A company which believes in engineering and the superiority of boron.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Daniel it was an observation, not a critique and fwiw I was not suggesting for one second cartridge manufacturing or any other form of manufacturing is an art. Hopefully you will understand the meaning of this post 😉 Enjoy what's left of the weekend.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Daniel Quinn

I'm on sick leave, have been for 2.5 years, the weekends have largely lost their meaning.