Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus restrictions: are they legal

Unread post by Classicrock »

Of course it's legal. A bill was passed through parliament yesterday to make any of these measures legal. Question is if police can enforce them or anyone actually gets fined. I'm sure if many ignore this there will be a really serious clampdown like in European countries. I would like to see stripping bog rolls from supermarkets an imprisonable offense but of course this country is too soft (no pun intended). We have generations here who don't have the moral compass that got us through WW2. Judging from supply online I recon people have been buying freezers up and stuffing them full off food. It appears some people put money over staying alive. I wouldn't even get in one of those crowded tube trains.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

There was plenty of looting and defeatism during The Blitz. Even a cursory glance through the Mass Observation archives from the time will confirm. The victors get to write the history books, though.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:23 pm The police enact legislation. As long as their is legislation it's legal.
So what is the exact piece of legislation that allows the UK Government to impose these restrictions?

And what if it contradicts another piece of legislation, for example the laws relating to Habeus Corpus or Human Rights?

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

what ever went through parliament last week. we are still part of the human rights act for now, but is difficult to see how these emergency powers contradict these principals, but if you do think it does , youre on your own in challenging it because the criminal justice system is in consensus with government policy so nobody will assist you.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I will leave the legal niceties to others..I think the measures should have been put in place a week ago because the positive effects can already be seen in our local supermarket which today are finally getting back to decent stock levels including rice and pasta.
I also note the government have just announced no systematic bailout for the airline's and fwiw I am happy with this. BA's owners are sitting on huge cash pile and have repeatedly said they don't want/need one whilst the forever grasping Branson is screaming for one. Well Richard here's an idea ~~~ if you and your business were registered for UK tax I might have some sympathy but you don't so go and ask the tax haven government your registration is with to bail you out. The same goes to all the other tax dodgers, this pandemic is going to cripple our finances so you need to pay your fair share or you know what
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:44 pm what ever went through parliament last week. we are still part of the human rights act for now, but is difficult to see how these emergency powers contradict these principals, but if you do think it does , youre on your own in challenging it because the criminal justice system is in consensus with government policy so nobody will assist you.
Which brings us back to the historical precedents of the Bush Administration's illegal treatment of detainees, which was backed up for 2 years by their Justice Department.

And Nazi Germany.

And can anyone tell me what was passed through Parliament last week of relevance to this issue? In detail, and preferably in layman's terms as well as the original wording?

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Here's a link to the bill itself, it's over 320 pages long. https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/20 ... ments.html

I'm not going to go through it all for you :lol: but there is this towards the beginning...

EUROPEAN CONVENTION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
Lord Bethell has made the following statement under section 19(1)(a) of the Human Rights Act 1998:
In my view the provisions of the Coronavirus Bill are compatible with the Convention rights.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Lawyers get paid £500 an hour to comment on legislation and the law. You want an answer to your question I'm afraid its do yourself or get your cheque book out. Even then it would be hypothetical until judicial decision.

The seriousness of the virus,the broad agreement over policy and the temporary nature of the legislation means the law as essentially been rubber stamped. Nevertheless we are still a pluralist democracy not nazi Germany. Any comparison would be naive and a little crass.

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

I don’t always agree with DQ’s view of things but in this instance he is 100% bang on!

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Comparisons to the Bush admin and Nazi Germany. Give us a break. The Government have to exercise extreme measures to save lives. Simple. I'm all for human rights but in these circumstances human life takes priority over all else. Including your or anyone elses freedom to go to the pub cinema theatre or wherever else you feel it is important to go. All my immediate family including myself are in the high risk group and would be very lucky to survive COVID19.