Opinions on how the Government have handled the coronavirus outbreak

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: Opinions on how the Government have handled the coronavirus outbreak

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

The problem with putting a " populist" figure in charge of anything is unless that person has a independent and intelligent team quietly guiding them they always run the risk of being exposed as lacking when the going gets tough. Johnson and Trump have surrounded themselves with sycophants who unfortunately add to the problem rather than helping overcome it. Their respective spin machines are going to be working flat out to try and minimise the damage these two have done to their countries economies.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
CN211276 (Sat May 09, 2020 11:43 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

savvypaul wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:21 am Fewer than 300 out of the 18.1 million people who entered the UK in the 3 months prior to the lockdown were quarantined. We were told that the science showed it would make little difference.

Now that the infection rate has been brought under control, we are told it is imperative to quarantine EVERYONE who enters the country (with the exception of those arriving from the Republic of Ireland). Typically, there is much confusion and vagueness about the arrangements that will accompany this policy.

When the virus was running rampant, we were told the science showed that imposing quarantine (or even testing at airports) would have little effect on controlling the spread of the virus. You're from Wuhan? You're travelling from CV hotspot Madrid to stand in a crowd of 40,000 at a football match? No f*cking problem! Jump on public transport and be careful to go straight to the pub. Now, though, the science tells us that quarantine is essential.

We were not 'led by the science' in the 3 months before lockdown. It is a f*cking insult to our intelligence to continue to pretend that we were. We were led by an arrogant, complacent, duplicitous and incompetent f*ckwit.
What I do agree if true that 18.1 million should not be entering Britain at any time and everyone should be checked. As far as checking everyone for Coronavirus as far back as january, I doubt the seriousness of the problem was apparent. I don't think the Germans were checking anybody that far back as well. Generally there is a lack of control of the Borders which should be noted as it was a big reason for voting for brexit. I also will repeat the medical experts are to blame unless you think Boris should have ignored them at the time. Perhaps he should be ignoring same experts now since they have been proved to be wrong. Note the advice came from the so called 'experts' not Dominic Cummings.

Whitty and his whittless crew would have been sacked by now if I was PM. This problem is largely a making of the incumbent experts at NHS england and the civil service. Whatever PM we had would have likely been led down the wrong path. Main error was a 10 day time lag in prevaricating before changing tack. Ministers should have been more on their toes and watching what went on elsewhere. At least I congratulate them now for restricting entry and using quarantine when flights start to resume. Overcrowding in this Island will eventually be seen as factor in the numbers dieing. Hopefully when economy picks up and focus moves to productivity over cheap labour less numbers will be coming in.

Would your friend Corbyn have done any better? His brother thinks the virus is a hoax. :lol:
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Your friend Boris's dad was happy to break lockdown to go to the pub if he"needed" to, and has applied for French citizenship as his mother Irene was born in Versailles. His brother Jo resigned from the government because he disagreed with his policies. He cited an “unresolvable tension” between his family loyalty and the national interest.

Families, eh? :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Classicrock wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:10 pm
As far as checking everyone for Coronavirus as far back as january, I doubt the seriousness of the problem was apparent.
My bad...I was thinking of temperature screening rather than actual testing (although South Korea started actual CV testing at airports in late March).
Classicrock wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:10 pm What I do agree if true that 18.1 million should not be entering Britain at any time...
Not a realistic comparison.
Hopefully when economy picks up and focus moves to productivity over cheap labour less numbers will be coming in.
Does that sentiment apply to Tomasz?
Classicrock wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:10 pm Would your friend Corbyn have done any better? His brother thinks the virus is a hoax. :lol:
Both Johnson's brother and sister think that he is a liar. But that is, also, irrelevant...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 »

I do not accept that the medical advice provided in this country was in any way inferior to that in the other European countries who have not made a complete balls up of the situation. Part of the problem here is Johnson not being around when the alarm bells were lringing. The briefings he received were edited by Demonic Dom and tailored to his agenda, which included the death of pensioner

s. He also did not attend Cobra meetings which would have provided him with the true picture. His only concerns were the completion of Brexshite, his divorce, engagement and forthcoming sprog.

Is it any surprise that thetwo fxxkwits who got Brexshite done are responsible for the loss of thousands of lives and greater than necessary damage to the economy.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
NSNO2021 (Sat May 09, 2020 7:12 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Black

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

What I do agree if true that 18.1 million should not be entering Britain at any time and everyone should be checked. ..
Of the 18 million that entered Britain, surely a large proportion of them would have been Brits returning from abroad?

It'd be quite funny if they were prevented from returning. Kind of like the worst excesses of paranoia from Stalinist Soviet times, or like something from Orwell's 1984.

And a chunk of people coming in would have been tourists / people coming on holiday in this country.
With the pound being so weak, the UK is a cheap holiday destination. And there are loads of interesting things to see and do in this country for anyone on holiday. In normal non-Lockdown circumstances.

And then another proportion of people entering this country would have been lorry drivers...
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
NSNO2021 (Sat May 09, 2020 7:13 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

As England may now be seen as the leppar of Europe will that many want to come here on holiday (or for any other reason) even though the pound has tanked ? I for one would avoid this shit hole like the plague
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

https://www.condorferries.co.uk/uk-tourism-statistics

38 million tourists visit the UK per year.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

This is a decent article (i.m.o.) from Ruth Wishart in the Grauniad, entitled "Sturgeon is on a collision course with Johnson. And there's no doubt who Scots trust"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/08/sturgeon-collision-course-johnson-lockdown
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 »

slinger wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:42 pm This is a decent article (i.m.o.) from Ruth Wishart in the Grauniad, entitled "Sturgeon is on a collision course with Johnson. And there's no doubt who Scots trust"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/08/sturgeon-collision-course-johnson-lockdown
Can't access the link.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
slinger (Sat May 09, 2020 5:57 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Black

RIP Doc