Houdini

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Houdini

Unread post by savvypaul »

Ordinaryman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:35 pm As it happens I am not " dissatisfied " with my system whatever anyone else wishes to claim, and further more I do not consider this statement as "betraying my utterance" or that being inquisitive relates to being so "2020" as to were i set my financial limits after all they concerne no one else but myself. well we are all intiteled to an opinion? that is of course unless should you believe that yours is omnipotetent. I for one would however rather base mine on experience rather than prejudice. Should anyone have beqen bothered to read the post i stated that £300. was out of the question. Didn't start out "dissatisfied " but I think maybe that's changed. Sad.
Yep. So keep your knickers on. It's only hi-fi.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

Yep. That's what I thought :-?

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Ad hominem removed

That's fine, but it deos not indicate satisfaction. I tried loads of different women till I was 43.

And inquisitive is a synomin for dissatisfied.

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Ordinaryman wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:35 pm As it happens I am not " dissatisfied " with my system whatever anyone else wishes to claim, and further more I do not consider this statement as "betraying my utterance" or that being inquisitive relates to being so "2020" as to were i set my financial limits after all they concerne no one else but myself. well we are all intiteled to an opinion? that is of course unless should you believe that yours is omnipotetent. I for one would however rather base mine on experience rather than prejudice. Should anyone have beqen bothered to read the post i stated that £300. was out of the question. Didn't start out "dissatisfied " but I think maybe that's changed. Sad.
There's a lot to be said for being open minded and curious, it is the essence of how we make progress and I think you should be encouraged to stay that way 👍
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:52 pm I'm of the opinion that if you have a desire to try the houdini you are dissatisfied with your hifi. Furthermore I am willing to bet the houdini will not sate your dissatisfaction.

Furthermore those that try it will swear they are not dissatisfied but the very act of trying will betray thier utterances.
That is a perfectly valid opinion, with which I disagree.

Most of you won't have noticed but the market place is awash with low cost microphones from the far East. As someone who uses microphones regularly I am always interested in these new additions. I recently bought a large diameter condenser mic for £24 just to see if it was any good, nothing to do with being dissatisfied with what I already have but a desire to see what it could, and couldn't, do.

If I were to try a Houdini it would be to see what it did and whether I liked the effect. I've had my turntable, arm and cartridge for over 40 years so one might reasonably assume that I am happy with the set up. That doesn't mean that I am not interested in new developments, it does mean that I am in no hurry to change things.

Remember, if Peter Walker hadn't been dissatisfied with his amplifiers he would never have developed current dumping, irrespective of what you think of that, the desire to do better is what drives development, good and bad.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
NSNO2021 (Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:44 am)

CaterhamKev
Christmas Island

Unread post by CaterhamKev »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:00 am Kevin you spend more time evaulating than listening. That much is evident from your posts elsewhere.

That's fine, but it deos not indicate satisfaction. I tried loads of different women till I was 43.

And inquisitive is a synomin for dissatisfied.
That was when I first bought it to see what I thought of it. At £300 if I am not 100% happy, it goes back. So it made sense to try a few of the cartridges in my possession. I don’t want one if it only works with one cartridge.

I had a day off yesterday, and found myself relaxing, listening to music when I should have been doing a few chores. I enjoyed myself, and that is all that counts.

We are all grown ups, and entitled to our opinions. My opinion is different to yours.

savvypaul
Great Britain

The Houdunnit will undoubtedly do 'something'. Whether that is good or bad, or just different seems to be (from reports) largely dependent on the arm / cartridge combination. When needle drops have been posted, most seem to have preferred the tracks without it, but again that is with the particular arms and cartridges used. Around £100 is about my limit for a 'tweak' so if I were going to investigate further I would likely try the Origin Live device at £25.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:16 am
There's a lot to be said for being open minded and curious, it is the essence of how we make progress and I think you should be encouraged to stay that way 👍
There's also a lot to be said for critical analysis and challenging. We have room for both.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
NSNO2021 (Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

We are all entitled to express our opinions and collectively we agree that's a good thing, it encourages debate.

Often when I read an opinion I disagree with I try to make sense of it by trying to see it from the posters perspective, sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't and then I am left to shrug my shoulders. However once in a while I read an opinion that I deeply disagree with and inquisitive being a synonym for being dissatisfied is such an example.

I won't trouble the forum with my reasons suffice to say that it's an opinion that I strongly oppose.
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

savvypaul
Great Britain

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:42 am We are all entitled to express our opinions and collectively we agree that's a good thing, it encourages debate.

Often when I read an opinion I disagree with I try to make sense of it by trying to see it from the posters perspective, sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't and then I am left to shrug my shoulders. However once in a while I read an opinion that I deeply disagree with and inquisitive being a synonym for being dissatisfied is such an example.

I won't trouble the forum with my reasons suffice to say that it's an opinion that I strongly oppose.
Then, look at it in a different way; as postulating to test an assumption.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
NSNO2021 (Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:02 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade