Great Britain

Re: AP30

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

So, I will open it up.

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

Unread post by Hannes-Gregor »

savvypaul wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:44 pm Whether you can fit an ALPS depends on space, which depends on internal layout.

The AP30s we've looked inside had the boards fitted behind the front fascia and wouldn't accommodate the extra depth of the ALPS.

But, you never know until you open it up. We fit the ALPS to the new P50 and AP10. It's very good - but buy from an official outlet such as Hi-Fi Collective. There are a number around on eBay that may be copies.
I fitted them into an AP20 and an AP70. In the AP70 space was comfortable, in the AP20 about half of the pot sits about 2 mm above the board. Narrow, but still fits.
These users thanked the author Hannes-Gregor for the post:
Ordinaryman (Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:56 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Hannes-Gregor wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:54 pm
savvypaul wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:44 pm Whether you can fit an ALPS depends on space, which depends on internal layout.

The AP30s we've looked inside had the boards fitted behind the front fascia and wouldn't accommodate the extra depth of the ALPS.

But, you never know until you open it up. We fit the ALPS to the new P50 and AP10. It's very good - but buy from an official outlet such as Hi-Fi Collective. There are a number around on eBay that may be copies.
...in the AP20 about half of the pot sits about 2 mm above the board. Narrow, but still fits.
Yep. Not something we would do and then warranty, but you can always do it yourself.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Warranty?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:57 pm Warranty?
"...a written guarantee, issued to the purchaser of an article by its manufacturer, promising to repair or replace it if necessary within a specified period of time."

If we replace a part, then we warranty that part against failure, for a specific period of time.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

AS you say it is something you would do.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Ordinaryman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:32 pm AS you say it is something you would do.
What is?
I am in the hi-fi trade

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

savvypaul wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:12 pm
Hannes-Gregor wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:54 pm

...in the AP20 about half of the pot sits about 2 mm above the board. Narrow, but still fits.
Yep. Not something we would do and then warranty, but you can always do it yourself.
But if it works, it works? Or did I built a time bomb?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Hannes-Gregor wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:08 am
It depends.

Most of the components on the board are designed to heat up, within an optimum temperature range, during operation. If you cover a component with only 2mm clearance, and that component is designed to heat up, it's very likely that it will start heating up beyond it's optimum temperature range.

If you only cover components that are not designed to heat up, then you're fine. If you send photos to Tomasz, he will see if he can tell exactly what you have covered.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Hannes-Gregor (Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:10 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade

Hannes-Gregor
Germany

savvypaul wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:52 am
Hannes-Gregor wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:08 am
It depends.

Most of the components on the board are designed to heat up, within an optimum temperature range, during operation. If you cover a component with only 2mm clearance, and that component is designed to heat up, it's very likely that it will start heating up beyond it's optimum temperature range.

If you only cover components that are not designed to heat up, then you're fine. If you send photos to Tomasz, he will see if he can tell exactly what you have covered.
Thank you, Paul. I think there is no need to disturb Tomasz with this question. After having another look at it, only about 3 mm of the pot cover the board, no components are affected. Only the connecting link between in- and output stage is covered.