Brexit Deal - one of the easiest in human history?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Brexit Deal - one of the easiest in human history?

Unread post by CycleCoach »

And the way we're going there will be an independent Scotland and Wales too. Rule Britannia indeed!
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

CycleCoach wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:22 am And the way we're going there will be an independent Scotland and Wales too. Rule Britannia indeed!
People will only understand the consequences of their actions when they are presented with the impacts to their own lives. Last week I watched a video of a family who were crying their eyes out after being forced to leave Spain as they did not have sufficient income to attain residency. Both parents voted for Brexit.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
CycleCoach (Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:14 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I saw what is happening in NI coming. When I made the post in the other thread in 2019 I was visiting family in Dublin and there was a lot of concern about what could happen north of the border post Brexit. A powder keg which should not have been ignited.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

savvypaul
Great Britain

CN211276 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:41 am I saw what is happening in NI coming. When I made the post in the other thread in 2019 I was visiting family in Dublin and there was a lot of concern about what could happen north of the border post Brexit. A powder keg which should not have been ignited.
I think everyone saw it coming...but some chose to ignore it because it didn't suit their agenda to acknowledge it.

When it comes to Brexit, Ireland has always been the circle that could never be squared. Land border = nationalist violence. Sea Border = unionist violence. No border = stay in the single market & customs union.
I am in the hi-fi trade

Grumpytim
Columbia

Unread post by Grumpytim »

CN211276 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:41 am I saw what is happening in NI coming. When I made the post in the other thread in 2019 I was visiting family in Dublin and there was a lot of concern about what could happen north of the border post Brexit. A powder keg which should not have been ignited.
What irritates me is how the uKippers constantly deflect the blame for any of the consequences of the Disunited Kingdom being classed as a 'third' country in EU terms on the EU. As if for some reason we should be treated any differently to any other country outside of the EU or Customs Union. Quite why they could not finesse a way of remaining in the CU in the 4 years they had to sort this out beggars belief. Just maybe if we'd remained in the CU, the flashpoint of a border could have been avoided, but as the Boron is prone to saying, alas, it was not to be.

For me the Good Friday Agreement was more momentous than the Berlin Wall coming down, that all parties could after so many bitter years agree to drop hands and try to work on a more collaborative version of Northern Ireland still amazes me. Credit must still go to those on all sides of the fence who had the courage to take that great leap into the dark. That Boris & Nigel have trashed will be seen as a tragedy when historians look back on this sorry period in our countries grubby slide into the clutches of a tin pot dictatorship.

My thoughts go out to all those poor souls in the province who didn't vote for this, didn't want this, who only want to go about their lives in relative peace and security just like the rest of us and must just be absolutely terrified of where this particular slow moving Brexit Bus wreck is heading.
These users thanked the author Grumpytim for the post (total 3):
CN211276 (Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:18 pm) • savvypaul (Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:26 pm) • slinger (Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:36 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Grumpytim wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 am
What irritates me is how the uKippers constantly deflect the blame for any of the consequences of the Disunited Kingdom being classed as a 'third' country in EU terms on the EU. As if for some reason we should be treated any differently to any other country outside of the EU or Customs Union. Quite why they could not finesse a way of remaining in the CU in the 4 years they had to sort this out beggars belief. Just maybe if we'd remained in the CU, the flashpoint of a border could have been avoided, but as the Boron is prone to saying, alas, it was not to be.

For me the Good Friday Agreement was more momentous than the Berlin Wall coming down, that all parties could after so many bitter years agree to drop hands and try to work on a more collaborative version of Northern Ireland still amazes me. Credit must still go to those on all sides of the fence who had the courage to take that great leap into the dark. That Boris & Nigel have trashed will be seen as a tragedy when historians look back on this sorry period in our countries grubby slide into the clutches of a tin pot dictatorship.

My thoughts go out to all those poor souls in the province who didn't vote for this, didn't want this, who only want to go about their lives in relative peace and security just like the rest of us and must just be absolutely terrified of where this particular slow moving Brexit Bus wreck is heading.
In a world without politics it would be perfectly sensible for the EU to give us preferential treatment. But that was never going to happen, and only an idiot could have convinced themselves otherwise.

We left = the future of the EU depends on others not leaving = we need to be seen to be worse off than when we were a member. It ain't rocket science. The only way the equation changes is if Germany and/or France leaves the EU. The former appears to be highly unlikely, the latter has mileage if Le Pen is elected.
I am in the hi-fi trade

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Grumpytim wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:58 am

In addition it will do serious damage to our relationship with the US now they have a sane presidend.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

But didn't Boris make his earthshatteringly wonderful deal to solve all of these petty little irritations?

:doh:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

savvypaul
Great Britain

Fretless wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:26 pm But didn't Boris make his earthshatteringly wonderful deal to solve all of these petty little irritations?

:doh:
Boris never wanted Brexit - but he wanted the Conservative Party members to believe that he did. That was always going to be his key to succeeding Cameron (who had already announced that he would not serve another term). To his shock (witness the look on his face the morning after) Leave achieved a narrow win and he has had to extend his deception, on a permanent basis.
I am in the hi-fi trade

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:19 pm In a world without politics it would be perfectly sensible for the EU to give us preferential treatment. But that was never going to happen, and only an idiot could have convinced themselves otherwise.

We left = the future of the EU depends on others not leaving = we need to be seen to be worse off than when we were a member. It ain't rocket science. The only way the equation changes is if Germany and/or France leaves the EU. The former appears to be highly unlikely, the latter has mileage if Le Pen is elected.
It's only the "Daily Mail readers" who voted leave, and who I'm convinced still believe that the sun never sets on the British Empire, who insist that we deserve special treatment, and the extent of their logic appears to be, "but we're British, dammit."

They accuse the EU of being spiteful and "determined to make us suffer." Well, I'd advise them to look a little closer home first because they are the same people who were saying that us leaving the EU would teach Johnny Foreigner a damn good lesson, and for some reason believed that leaving the EU left us wielding the power. As someone remarked, it's a bit like a highly rated professional footballer, who is on the Billy Bollox of a contract, deciding to embark on a solo career.

What WE are now getting is what THEY voted for, but they were too stupid to read the headlines, let alone the small print before they hit the polling stations armed with the knowledge of how to spell "X".
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:17 pm) • CN211276 (Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:43 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X