New Adventures In HiFi

All general audio posts go here.
Marqymarq
Great Britain

New Adventures In HiFi

Unread post by Marqymarq »

Joined the forum yesterday with a view to getting some specific product advice, but having looked around the forum I think I'll just ramble on a bit and then sit back read and learn some more.

My music listening until recently was restricted to a couple of hours in the car during the daily commute and next to nothing at home - retirement came and I stopped listening all together wanting just to absorb some peace for a while. One afternoon I connected my phone to a bluetooth speaker and I was away again, catching up on new music and one thing leading to another I ended up buying a Naim Atom. I use this mainly to stream Qobuz via Roon and to me it sounds awesome. I then knocked up a Raspberry Pi and connected it in another room as a Roon endpoint which got me to thinking.

Everything I do is through Roon, the Atom plays the music but a lot of the features I don't need - even the nice screen I don't see due to my seating position. For some fun I thought I'd pull together another system for another room starting very basic Raspberry Pi, an Amp, some old Gale speakers I had in the loft and then upgrade over time to a quality system. This is where the search for an Amp starts - initial plan was to get something used off eBay, but I remembered an earlier search for British Amps, Graham Slee, Nord etc. and NVA where I remembered seeing a slick little single input amp - I kept going back for another look liking its simple form and the purity of one input - all I need.

I see from the specs it won't work for me, but then I start looking around at all the other goodies and now my thoughts are moving towards the full monty - a new system, relegating the Naim (after 10 months) to the kitchen (or selling it) :angry-screaming: -- I need to step back from the brink, breathe, take it all in. I still rather fancy the AP10P though - can you make a more powerful one please.
These users thanked the author Marqymarq for the post:
savvypaul (Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: New Adventures In HiFi

Unread post by savvypaul »

Marqymarq wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:25 pm I still rather fancy the AP10P though - can you make a more powerful one please.
Not in that size case - a larger transformer would not fit. Larger integrated integrated amplifiers are in the pipeline, though, as many are telling us that they want the convenience of 'one box'. So, we hope to have two new models released by the autumn - a 'simple' 50 watt model very much in keeping with the current 'Artisan' range, and a 70 watt 'super' integrated with dual mono circuitry and twin power supplies, an upgraded volume pot and a remote control option. Additionally, the 'simple' will be upgradeable to the 'super' at any time, simply by paying the difference.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
Marqymarq (Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:51 pm) • antonio66 (Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:55 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Marqymarq
Great Britain

Unread post by Marqymarq »

Box count/size not a problem - it’s the single input of the AP10 that appeals to me. I’ll have a single source system, so I like the idea of that level of focus and not seeing the unrequired source selector. What’s a tuner anyway.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I've no reason for asking other than idle curiosity, but what is it about the AP10P's specs that make it unsuitable?
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

howardc1951

Unread post by howardc1951 »

I've got an AP30P. When Richard went from the mark1 design to the mark2 design he sold off the remaining cases at a discount. I simply asked him to add a volume control and headphone socket to an A30 power amp giving a single input integrated. He used to do it for any of the stereo power amps by request.
These users thanked the author howardc1951 for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:59 pm) • Marqymarq (Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:49 am)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

howardc1951 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:06 pm I've got an AP30P. When Richard went from the mark1 design to the mark2 design he sold off the remaining cases at a discount. I simply asked him to add a volume control and headphone socket to an A30 power amp giving a single input integrated. He used to do it for any of the stereo power amps by request.
You could do that with full width cases.

Food for thought.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

MM welcome to the less than mad house of the subjectivist - I hope you enjoy your time on here
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
Marqymarq (Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:50 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Welcome to HFS. :grin:

We're all perfectly normal, really!

These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 4):
CycleCoach (Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:21 pm) • CN211276 (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:44 pm) • Grumpytim (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:54 pm) • Marqymarq (Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:50 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Fret is bottom right in the shorts, Savvy Paul is of course the guy in the pin stripped DB suit and me ~~~~~~~ well I think my bow tie and post lockdown haircut look rather good. I will leave it to readers imagination who Thing and cousin Itt are :shhh:
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:54 pm) • Fretless (Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:18 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I have a 1.8 watt Korneff clone SET and an 8 watt Coincident Frankenstein Prototype 300b SET and an NVA A20 (no idea how many watts).

I've never struggled for maximum volume from these amplifiers, although there have been situations where the gain of the Korneff hasn't been high enough - mainly because I don't like using active pre-amps.

I find it interesting when other people think that 15 watts isn't enough for their system.

My general response to the 15 watts not being enough is: is that the fault of the amplifier or of the speakers?
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 2):
Geoff.R.G (Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:38 pm) • Marqymarq (Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:06 am)