Effects pedals stuff, might interest guitarists.

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Effects pedals stuff, might interest guitarists.

Unread post by slinger »

This "little" project developed out of idle curiosity and ended up costing me around seven hundred of my finest quids.

I spotted an ad for a guitar pedal that intrigued me, and I ended up buying it after watching what was probably the worst third-party demonstration video I could find for it. It was bad, but the pedal still sounded good.

This was the pedal (although not the video) I fancied. I have also decided that Tore Mogensen, who used to front all of TC Electronic's pedal videos is quite possibly the coolest human being on the planet Earth.

I was dithering over buying it, and then the seller dropped the price by 5%. I'm not used to paying full price for stuff, so as a last resort I had a quick look around some music stores and discovered that those nice people at Andertons were not only selling it for less but as it was over £99.00 there was free 2-day delivery on it.

Long story short, I spotted a rather tasty and reasonably priced Delay/Reverb pedal next, and suddenly it started becoming the project it ended up as.

I was incredibly pleased with the TC Electronic harmonizer and looked a bit deeper into their catalogue. I had somehow forgotten that they make the very popular "Ditto," looper, and the ubiquitous PolyTune tuner.

I'm going to sound a bit like an advert here, but all of their pedals are in good, solid, metal cases and are, in fact, built like proverbial tanks. The other noticeable thing was that after going through many of their pedal videos, both official and third-party, the quality of their top-of-the-range stuff seems to trickle down to their lower-end pedals, which is what I could afford.

eBay, Amazon, and Andertons once again were visited for the best available prices.

Next came the "just one more" phase which was immediately followed by the "now you're just being silly," phase until eventually, the "common sense," phase set in, albeit reluctantly.

At this stage, I should probably explain that this is almost a last throw of the dice for me as I've got arthritis in both hands now, and at 67-years-of-age I doubt it's going to improve. I can't play like I used to, so I'm trying to figure out a way I can still make music and be creative. My idea is to let the instrument, the pedals, and the studio, do more of the work. I want to be able to almost "sculpt" the sounds, if that makes sense, and head off in an "ambient," direction.

If it doesn't work then I know it really is time to start selling all my gear. Except my Gibson LP... and my limited edition Schecter, and my Giltrap acoustics, and... :lol:

This is how fancying a new pedal to cheer me up during lockdown has ended up.

On my new board, there are 39 rotary controls, four three-position toggle switches, three two-position toggles, 4 push-buttons (which can be used singly or in any combinations you can think of) and I think it's five of the footswitches that control parameters as well as being on/bypass controls. This is by no means the most complex of pedalboards.

There's going to be a bit of a learning curve involved here. As a "for instance" my Echo/Reverb pedal has two three-way toggle switches, five rotary controls and two footswitches that are not simple ON/BYPASS pedals. It's also got a couple of "hidden" controls that allow one to set it up with the effects in series, and the order they work in: i.e. either

IN > ECHO > REVERB > OUT
or
IN > REVERB > ECHO > OUT

or, just for kicks, you can also have them running in parallel so that the signal passes through both effects at the same time and is summed at the output stage.

Much like Dr Frankenstein (Fronkonstein?) I may have inadvertently created a monster.

Several of the TC Electronic pedals also connect to the internet to allow one to update their firmware, and some can download "patches" (called Tone Prints) designed by pro musicians like Guthrie Govan, which can then be adjusted in separate editor software, which has its own dedicated instruction manual.

I'm not making this up, these are the genuine instructions for loading a Tone Print to a pedal:

Transferring TonePrints to your pedal – step by step

• Launch the TonePrint app on your smartphone.
  • Find the TonePrint you want to use. You can browse TonePrints by Artist or Product (i.e., pedal type). You will also find Featured TonePrints.
  • Plug your guitar or bass into your TonePrint pedal.
  • Turn your TonePrint pedal on.
  • Turn up the volume on your instrument and set the pickup selector to one pickup.
  • Hold the speaker of your smartphone next to the chosen pickup and touch “Beam to pedal”.
  • The INDICATOR LED will light to show that the TonePrint has been transferred to the pedal

WTF? Seriously? What's wrong with just downloading them over USB like the firmware upgrades?

All I'm waiting for now is the patch cords I'm having made up - Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Instrument cable in bright orange with Neutrik pancake jacks - to connect everything.

Playing the guitar is not just about playing the guitar any more.

Anyway, I hope this has been of interest to someone.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
terrybooth (Tue May 04, 2021 7:10 am)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Effects pedals stuff, might interest guitarists.

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Have you thought of taking up the organ? There seem to be fewer pedals on an organ than you have foot controls.

I am quite used to guitarists turning up with a board full of pedals but I get upset when one of them is noisy but it's my fault.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
slinger (Mon May 03, 2021 8:08 pm)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I've got physical keyboards, and I run Ableton Live studio, so I'm well and truly catered for as far as organs/pianos/synths are concerned. I can even recreate decent-sounding guitars via VST plugins, I just don't want to give up the guitar, which is my "real" instrument, if I can possibly avoid it.

The foot pedals should, hopefully, be noise-free. They're all true-bypass models.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
Copperblue (Tue May 04, 2021 8:26 pm)

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Take heart gentle Slinger. I am 72 and also have arthritis in my hands, shoulders, hips and neck. It's a blight on old age!

I play guitar for about an hour averaging 5 days a week although my guitars are acoustic. As you will know the options for an acoustic pedal are limited and I've just ordered a Fishman acoustic reverb and chorus pedal. I simply want to make a "thicker sound". But even that will not stop my playing.

I take heart that Django had only 2 fingers on his left hand and he didn't let that stop him. Keep the faith brother.
These users thanked the author TheMadMick for the post:
slinger (Mon May 03, 2021 9:14 pm)
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Good luck with that Slinger, didn't know you ran a studio, but there again I've only been a member for6 or more years :grin:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

antonio66 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:37 pm Good luck with that Slinger, didn't know you ran a studio, but there again I've only been a member for6 or more years :grin:
:doh: I should have explained - Ableton Live Studio is a piece of software that allows you to have a multitrack studio on your PC, not an actual bricks & mortar studio.

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

You've made me look a fool Slinger - not a difficult job. :lol:

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Unread post by TheMarlin »

I’ve got 16 pedals on my board, and another 10 or so on a shelf. I move them around regular.

My favourites are:
Strymon El Capistran (delay)
Nocturne atomic Brain (sort of boost, but more complex)
Mad Professor Simble Pre driver
Wampler Tumnus (overdrive set cleanish)
Paul Cocherane Timmy
EHX Ocean 21 (spring model, set drippy)
Boss DD500 (delay)
My modded Dunlop crybaby
My homemade fuzz
Musket Fuzz
Thorpe Peacekeeper

I’m a big fan of 5E3 amps, and I mostly play Gretsch hollow body guitars. I’ve got 15 guitars at the moment, 6 Gretsches, 2 starts, a tele, 2 SG’s, Supro Belmont, LPjr, an acoustic, and Gibson ES195
These users thanked the author TheMarlin for the post:
slinger (Mon May 03, 2021 11:56 pm)
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I'm more into delays and loops - one thing I really like is the E-bow which I use a lot on my bass.

My pedal board:
Digitech Bass Synth Wah
Boss Bass Chorus
Line6 DL4 delay
Danelectro Reel Echo
HiTone Wally+ looper

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

antonio66 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:34 pm You've made me look a fool Slinger - not a difficult job. :lol:
Hardly. It was my bad for assuming people know what I'm talking about even when most of the time I don't. :lol: