Naim Turntable

All general audio posts go here.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Naim Turntable

Unread post by CycleCoach »

That plinth looks suspiciously like it's made from acrylic. Can't see that catching on for hifi! :lol:
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
karatestu (Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:39 pm)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

CycleCoach wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:36 pm That plinth looks suspiciously like it's made from acrylic. Can't see that catching on for hifi! :lol:
It'll probably just be lacquered MDF in reality. :lol:
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
savvypaul (Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:19 pm)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:15 pm The platter is that high because of three levels of isolation. They don't say what they are.

The 16 k appears to be tt,arm and cartridge.Although this is not clear
There are two schools of thought on the subject of isolation:
1. Isolate everything and control resonance etc.
2. Clamp things firmly together and get all the energy from the grove into the cartridge

I favour the "bolt the cartridge firmly to the headshell" and "isolate the platter from the motor" approach. I suspect that making the platter that high is actually counter productive because the pedestal the arm stands on adds more problems, and cost, than the platter solves. A thinner platter made of Tungsten, would probably have the same effect but what do I know.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Interestingly the platter, bearing and arm are on a similar mounting arrangement to a roksan xerxes, i.e the routed section of the plinth that eventually sags on a xerxes. It looks a more complicated pattern from the what hifi article about it, but theres one of your isolation levels.
It says in the article that there are 47 plys to this bit, this doesnt look like its thick enough to be birch ply, so its probably a laminate of something else.

It reminds me of the xerxes approach in a few ways, it appears to be too heavy to be sprung given the platter so i assume the top plate is sat on rubber bushes of some type in a sub plinth, a la xerxes, or leak 3001 gel filled squash balls. theres your next isolation layer, and the feet will be the last one.

Interesting from naim (to me at least) for once, im less than interested in any of their other products, this one looks reasonably well thought out.
Wether the huge platter rings like a bell remains to be seen, but i suspect there is some material trickery going on underneath it to damp out resonances. Theres nothing to say its a bloody great solid block, if its hollow all the periphery mass will give it speed stability.

Interesting. But Ill go buy a brand new fiesta instead

Im not the target customer though :mrgreen:
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Edit: looking at the pics again, it does look like is birch ply, probably a 3 sheet layer to get 47 plys
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
CycleCoach (Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:29 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

CycleCoach wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:36 pm That plinth looks suspiciously like it's made from acrylic. Can't see that catching on for hifi! :lol:
For 16k it ought to be solid silver!
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or LDA 300B Set Monoblocks
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Will the Aro II follow the first Aro in having good midrange and poor bass and mediocre treble?

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Clearaudio in Germany are the manufacturer's to Naims design. The only review I read said it sounded decent which is not exactly a surprise given its cost and who makes it plus it was coupled with £160k of Naim Amps and £90k of someones speakers. I don't like it's appearance, the proportions are out but I don't think Naim will be in the least bit worried by what I think because if they have people foolish enough to fork out £160k for their amps flogging these at £16k should be easy peasy. Finally I think anyone paying £160k and £90k for speakers should get help because to me that's the definition of insanity 🙃
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables