Modern Nostalgia

All music posts here please.
Shevans
Great Britain

Modern Nostalgia

Unread post by Shevans »

At lunch, sitting round the dining table the conversation ended up talking about music formats and in particular CDs and Records. My daughters were absolutely amazed to hear that I used to have records and a turntable but were genuinely over the moon to discover that in a large cupboard there was over 900 CDs stored away.

Anyway out come some of the CDs, girls looking at awe at the the booklets etc. and came to the conclusion that we needed to get another CD player! I explained all the CDs we’re available through Sonos / Bluesound but they weren’t having any of it!

They genuinely think playing a whole CD is much better than using Alexa or the Spotify app and the artwork / booklet was much more interesting. Just as well I did not talk too much about Vinyl otherwise that would have been another expensive rabbit hole 😂

Eldest daughter turns 19 this year and whilst I have had a CD player since she was born she was quite young to remember and my CDs were ripped long before Sonos arrived hence they stayed out of sight.

Literally being begged to buy a CD player as the go through the boxes… perhaps they are onto something.
These users thanked the author Shevans for the post:
slinger (Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:20 pm)

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: Modern Nostalgia

Unread post by TheMadMick »

They used to say that sort of stuff about records but they're no good unless you play them. I grew out of my colleciton and sold it. Haven't regretted it.
These users thanked the author TheMadMick for the post:
Shevans (Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:41 am)
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

TheMadMick wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:55 am They used to say that sort of stuff about records but they're no good unless you play them. I grew out of my colleciton and sold it. Haven't regretted it.
Indeed, hence I find it so funny my girls finding CDs so interesting. TT and records sold long ago as we kept moving house like every six months and the sodding records were too much to keep packing away they stayed tapped up in the boxes.

Have been considering Roon to get back some of that nostalgic feel of album artwork but that’s a load of cash.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Get yourself a decent used CD player off ebay for £30 ish. Job done. One with a TDA 1549 DAC will do a good enough job.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

I actually remembered that I had a Blu-Ray player lurking under the stairs so it’s been plugged in for them to enjoy my CDs :dance:
These users thanked the author Shevans for the post:
Lindsayt (Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:18 pm)