NVA Blog

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: NVA Blog

Unread post by savvypaul »

antonio66 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:32 am
savvypaul wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:07 pm Bought one of Nick's mains regenerator / quartz lock power supplies for the Lencos (x2) and Garrard 401.

A very obvious improvement. Tidies everything up very nicely, both clearer and more natural. A lot like a stylus upgrade.
Do you mean you've purchased three, or can a single one be moved from turntable to turntable when in use?
Just the one. Very easy to swap over.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

We've been updating our build cost files for all the NVA products in light of significant price increases (between 15% and 50%) on many components - transformers, transistors, resistors, raw cables. Additionally, the production cost for our run of 250 new amplifier boards has risen by around 90% (although that is partly down to us specifying higher quality parts - sometimes through choice and sometimes because the 'old' part is no longer made).

When our current stock of S80s run out, it is highly doubtful that we will make any more. It simply won't be possible to hand make a power amplifier of this quality, in the UK, to sell at £495. If we offered it even as just a set of parts for DIY, we would still struggle to make a worthwhile margin.

I don't think that people, outside of here, have understood what a bargain the S80 is.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
CycleCoach (Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:59 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:47 pm We've been updating our build cost files for all the NVA products in light of significant price increases (between 15% and 50%) on many components - transformers, transistors, resistors, raw cables. Additionally, the production cost for our run of 250 new amplifier boards has risen by around 90% (although that is partly down to us specifying higher quality parts - sometimes through choice and sometimes because the 'old' part is no longer made).

When our current stock of S80s run out, it is highly doubtful that we will make any more. It simply won't be possible to hand make a power amplifier of this quality, in the UK, to sell at £495. If we offered it even as just a set of parts for DIY, we would still struggle to make a worthwhile margin.

I don't think that people, outside of here, have understood what a bargain the S80 is.
How would you compare the S80 to the old A30, in terms of overall sound quality? I always thought the A30 was a peach of an amp but obviously no powerhouse.
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

savvypaul
Great Britain

Copperblue wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:47 pm
savvypaul wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:47 pm We've been updating our build cost files for all the NVA products in light of significant price increases (between 15% and 50%) on many components - transformers, transistors, resistors, raw cables. Additionally, the production cost for our run of 250 new amplifier boards has risen by around 90% (although that is partly down to us specifying higher quality parts - sometimes through choice and sometimes because the 'old' part is no longer made).

How would you compare the S80 to the old A30, in terms of overall sound quality? I always thought the A30 was a peach of an amp but obviously no powerhouse.
The upgrades that Tomasz implemented have taken the sound quality a step forward...much more than I had expected. Grip, timing, texture are all up a notch to my ears. More musical information. The S80 is, I think, the same va as the A30 was, but I'd put the S80 well ahead for sq. Better to ask those who've had their own amp upgraded as I am, of course, a bit biased. Unfortunately, the A30 and the A40s are too tight inside to accommodate the new transformers.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Copperblue (Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:31 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

r3xj0hn570n
Norfolk Island

Unread post by r3xj0hn570n »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:47 pm When our current stock of S80s run out, it is highly doubtful that we will make any more. It simply won't be possible to hand make a power amplifier of this quality, in the UK, to sell at £495. If we offered it even as just a set of parts for DIY, we would still struggle to make a worthwhile margin.

What a pity.

Back when both Dale and I lived in Christchurch, i had my main listening room set up with NVA amps (so people could listen to them under controlled conditions). I'd made a set of high efficiency speakers with Focal 7" bassmids and my usual favourite horn ribbon tweeters (around 95dB/w@1m). Sources were my modified pioneer stable platter CD player and my homemade aussenlaufer powered TT with an RB300 and a variety of cartridges, both MM and MC. I had the pick of anything from an AP20 to an AP70 as well some NVA power amps and a P50. So the rest of the system was the best i could get/make at the time. My favourite amp (with the focals) was the AP20, closely followed by the AP30 (same amp, bigger case). There was something about it that just clicked. It was nothing to look at inside, with a single small transformer and simple layout, slimline case. Sure, the bigger amps sounded 'bigger', but simply weren't quite as nice to listen to. That amplifier was subsequently burnt to a crisp by a teenager. I rebuilt it with a slightly larger transformer and many new transistors/resistors etc, but it was never quite the same. Whether that was due to the transformer or the new silicon i have no idea, but the transistors used by Richard at that time didn't seem to be anything special, and on paper, the new transformer was much better than the older one.

Anyway my point is that, even at an elevated price, there is place for a smaller amplifier for those who simply don't need a bigger one.

I also had another set of sealed box, concrete lined, standmounts with a peerless/vifa lineup (around 88dB/w@1m). Those sounded much better with the AP70.
These users thanked the author r3xj0hn570n for the post:
CN211276 (Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:12 pm)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

NVA won't be the only manufacturer hit by post-Brexit component price rises and prices will be going up for everyone.

More expensive, maybe - but NVA will still remain relatively affordable.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
CN211276 (Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:33 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

New vinyl releases will be up 50-75% according to a dealer- apparently it’s the cost of the pressing which he said is all external to the uk
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f- Ortofon mc20 supreme
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- IfI stream, Ifi Neo idsd Dac; Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 30vdc mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

savvypaul
Great Britain

r3xj0hn570n wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:29 pm
savvypaul wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:47 pm When our current stock of S80s run out, it is highly doubtful that we will make any more. It simply won't be possible to hand make a power amplifier of this quality, in the UK, to sell at £495. If we offered it even as just a set of parts for DIY, we would still struggle to make a worthwhile margin.

What a pity.

Back when both Dale and I lived in Christchurch, i had my main listening room set up with NVA amps (so people could listen to them under controlled conditions). I'd made a set of high efficiency speakers with Focal 7" bassmids and my usual favourite horn ribbon tweeters (around 95dB/w@1m). Sources were my modified pioneer stable platter CD player and my homemade aussenlaufer powered TT with an RB300 and a variety of cartridges, both MM and MC. I had the pick of anything from an AP20 to an AP70 as well some NVA power amps and a P50. So the rest of the system was the best i could get/make at the time. My favourite amp (with the focals) was the AP20, closely followed by the AP30 (same amp, bigger case). There was something about it that just clicked. It was nothing to look at inside, with a single small transformer and simple layout, slimline case. Sure, the bigger amps sounded 'bigger', but simply weren't quite as nice to listen to. That amplifier was subsequently burnt to a crisp by a teenager. I rebuilt it with a slightly larger transformer and many new transistors/resistors etc, but it was never quite the same. Whether that was due to the transformer or the new silicon i have no idea, but the transistors used by Richard at that time didn't seem to be anything special, and on paper, the new transformer was much better than the older one.

Anyway my point is that, even at an elevated price, there is place for a smaller amplifier for those who simply don't need a bigger one.

I also had another set of sealed box, concrete lined, standmounts with a peerless/vifa lineup (around 88dB/w@1m). Those sounded much better with the AP70.
Yes, it would be a pity.

Drastic times require creative solutions. We will see what we can come up with.
I am in the hi-fi trade

savvypaul
Great Britain

Tomasz lands on 7th September.

He will build the Forum Limited Edition monoblocks, replenish our 'on the shelf' black box stock, carry out any repairs and do MKII power amp and pre-amp upgrades.

If you've talked to us about a repair or upgrade, please get your item(s) to us by 8th September.

We have a small stock of 150va transformers if anyone else is looking to upgrade their MKII A60 / A70S / A80S. PM for full details. Similarly, we can do a few SA upgrades for P50s.

Tom and I will also get a chance to listen, together, to the prototype of our new Cube speakers. :grin:
I am in the hi-fi trade

DaveyTed
Great Britain

Unread post by DaveyTed »

"Drastic times require drastic solutions "
but I trust we won't see: NVA designed and engineered in England , made in China
like so many home grown products.